neoflyer

Recommendation For Diesel Pusher Brands

Hi all,

I'm a newbie, and I'm looking for a good quality coach for no more than $150K.  I may have a line a 2013 Newmar Ventana 4346 with low mileage.  What do you all think of that model? I'm also looking at 2007 and older Country Coach and Tiffin. One of my biggest obstacles is the wife wants a stacked washer/dryer, no combo.  Harder to find with the older models.  Can they be converted if there's room or is it too difficult and not worth it?  Any suggestions on anything, let me know.  Thanks.

R/

Tim

Tim, welcome to the forum. If you scroll up a page or so I linked to a dealer that had some quality coaches. You can look on PPL Motorhomes https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/ you can check out floor plans. Yes anything can be modified. It just becomes can you give up the room. I have a Splendy and it works ok for small things but we still use the laundry in the RV park or in town for sheets and stuff like that.

Bill

Bill,

Thanks for the feedback.  I did look at the sites that were listed above.  I liked the level of detail that Motorhomes of Texas took in advertising their coaches.  I also liked the one you listed.  I will keep my eyes on there sites. What do think of the Newmar Ventana 4346 model?

R/

Tim

my two cents,

craigslist worked great for me.  Also I met a gentlemen last weekend at quartzsite who buys coaches from private parties. He goes through them completely and makes sure everything is spot on and working correctly.  If not he gets them fixed "properly" and then puts them up for sale.  He showed me a prevost at the show and hands down he new everything about it, the prior owner, why he sold it, the whole story.  That's hard to find and aslo to find a person who is so passionate about it. I have his info in my coach, ill get the paperwork and get his contact info. He has a website with all of his coaches that he is selling. On his website he said each coach has everything listed about them and said each have over 50 hi rez photos.  He's asking 238k for the prevost FYI, its unbelievable.

Legacy Coach, Coach Finder, Bus-Stuff, RV Trader,  are some others.

Newmar is a good brand.  But not knowing what the Sales price of the 2013 is...NADA is a good source for whole  sale/retail value!

Tim, Newmar makes a great coach, so does Country Coach. One observation, when we were shopping a few years back, stacked washer/Dryer units were in 99% of the Newmar products (the other 1% of the Newmar's had the closet for it, no unit). I do not recall seeing any stacked units or space for them in any other manufacture. I fully understand why your wife wants that set up. 

Not sure of what you mean by stacked so I thought I should clarify, this is the type I am referring to (Apartment type). Not the two Splendid's stacked, they do not hold enough clothes to make it worth wild to have IMHO. The Newmar's we looked at had the type below in the photo. 

Carl, you haven't spent a quarter on laundry, so you don't use detergent? :lol: :ph34r:

image.jpeg.fa04161e0357cfd4e024367773371f56.jpeg

jleamont,

I would prefer the unit you pictured over the two single units.  Anyway, I do use the NADA Low retail value as my guide for pricing without options, base price.  Are there any other useful tools/sites out there that I should consider for pricing/research.  My search continues, I have a couple prospects, some offers on the table, but not accepted as of yet.  We'll see what happens.  I'm patient and will keep looking until we find the right floor plan and coach that will meet are needs. Meanwhile, any info/input is welcome.  Thanks all for the responses.  I'll keep checking back for more.

Tim

I had one of those apartment style stacked washer/dryer combo units here at home a few years ago. The washer and dryer are much smaller than you'd expect, and the access to the washer is not great. We eventually upgraded to a set of front-loaders stacked. The front loaders took the same footprint as the apartment unit and is far and above a better setup. Those apartment units really are very basic units which are way overpriced. Many of the high-quality washer/dryer manufacturers (LG, Samsung, etc) make smaller front loading units which can be stacked and installed in a small closet.

10 minutes ago, richard5933 said:

The front loaders took the same footprint as the apartment unit

The RV versions are very small inside, much smaller than the apartment type above. I removed ours, absolutely useless, You could only wash 1-2 pairs of jeans at a time. I understand why his DW wants the type photo'd above. If we had the room, one of those would be my only choice.

I really don't want this post to drag much farther into Washer/Dryer set ups as its drifting from the original post of "Recommendations for DP Brands" I think we've covered Tim's concerns that his DW has expressed. 

Tim, as a rule for pricing, I went with low NADA and dropped 20-25% off of it to establish a base price that in my mind was a good price to begin negotiations with. I am glad you have the patience to keep shopping and are not jumping into the first coach that shines. 

Is there any other particular must haves for you and your DW? The reason I ask someone might know of another manufacture or model that has what you want to help narrow down your searches. 

Jleamont,

Thanks for the info.  Some of the nice to haves for us are the stacked W/D, what some call the HHC (Happy Hour Chair) with computer desk, and outside entertainment.  Little option items, but nothing we can't do or add after purchase.  As far as mechanical, I like as much engine/torque as I can get.  We don't "expect" to find a coach that has everything we want, but would like to get close.  We owned a 28 ft Class A Monaco Safari Trek that we sold about 4 years ago.  Great for what we were using for but now we plan to travel around the US next year, after we retire, for a few years so we'll need a coach to accommodate that lifestyle.  Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated.

Tim

Tim.  Any pre-2006, Monaco, HR, CC, Beaver, Foretravel, Travel Supreme, Alpine and Safari can be had for under $150K !  They where all top of the line, before the big bang!  Fleetwood had some good models also!  As you said, remodel is easy and reasonable, Residential Fridge can be added in  place of NoCold and front loading WD also!  Mine is front loading and hold 23# each...a tad more than Joe's Jeans (his was size 60, now 33?)! :o

Joe can tell you what make & model engines to stay away from! :)

Hi All,

Just wanted to thank everyone for the input on buying our RV.  We ended up purchasing a 2006 Newmar Essex 4502 with the ISM500 Cummins and Allison 4000.  We drove it 1200 miles home and are very happy with the purchase.  Now to outfit and play with it before we hit the road in a couple years, or less.  Again, thanks for the all the information you all provided.  It was a great help.  I attached a couple of pictures as well. 

R/

Tim & Susan

IMG_20190416_165446488_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190416_165501870_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190416_165514699_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190416_165541151_HDR.jpg

int-01_40950255730_o.jpg

int-24_28887407878_o.jpg

int-44_40950280720_o.jpg

int-46_28887423348_o.jpg

Bill,

The trip home was great.  Spent the first night in Santa Fe, NM, then went on to Phoenix, AZ, then onto San Diego.  Coach ran great! Everything was working.  We are very pleased.  Looking forward to more time with it.  Thanks again for all the help!

R/

Tim 

Tim, we have friends full-timing in a 2007 Essex. They went full-time in 2011,  they and the MH are still going strong. He added solar panels and eight 6V batteries on a special-made tray in the engine compartment (Spartan chassis) to compliment the 6 house batteries. Their only limitation is fresh water.

Enjoy your new motor home!