neoflyer

Recommendation For Diesel Pusher Brands

I looking to move up from my '05 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 40 PLQ. Looking for a used or new diesel pusher in the 36'-40' range.

Must have lots of pass through basement storage and 10,000# towing capacity.

From the few I have looked at I like the Thor Venetian M37 but seems it must have come out in 2016 as I don't find any older ones advertised. Other possibilities are Tiffin Phaeton, Forest River Berkshire, Fleetwood Discovery, Pace Arrow, Pace Arrow LXE. Any I have missed?

Can anyone offer advice, especially about such issues as quality and reliability?

Thanks,
Ed

5 hours ago, neoflyer said:

I looking to move up from my '05 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 40 PLQ. Looking for a used or new diesel pusher in the 36'-40' range.

Must have lots of pass through basement storage and 10,000# towing capacity.

From the few I have looked at I like the Thor Venetian M37 but seems it must have come out in 2016 as I don't find any older ones advertised. Other possibilities are Tiffin Phaeton, Forest River Berkshire, Fleetwood Discovery, Pace Arrow, Pace Arrow LXE. Any I have missed?

Can anyone offer advice, especially about such issues as quality and reliability?

Thanks,
Ed

Ed, welcome to the forum. Here is something to look at. http://motorhomesoftexas.com/coachrv/newell_coach/2004--newell--45--P1269

or  http://motorhomesoftexas.com/coachrv/foretravel/2013--ih45--45--P1266

or http://www.bus-stuff.com/2005Newell_Premium527.html

There are many makes not mentioned. I had a friend last week while we were at a Bounder rally in Gettysburg PA take his bounder to town and came back with a 2018 Pace Arrow. From what I could see it looked like a nice coach. The full wall slide is amazing.

FLOWERSS, welcome to the forum.

Bill

You are paying for the diesel engine, big $$.  Get a quality coach.  Your Holiday Rambler is a quality coach, you'll know quality when you see it.  Our coach is still solid and going strong.  There are really deluxe coaches in the 40+ category that are reasonably priced in the same general age as your coach.  I like checking FMCA Magazine for used coach prices.  Just one indicator.  Then you can look at some of the references Wildebill has given above.  We just gave a 2008 Monaco Signature a close look, too much coach for us but really nice at a pretty good price.  A friend of ours sold their 2008 Monaco Diplomat last year.  The Monaco's or Holiday Ramblers 2008 and before are from the original company, good coaches.  We are at 167,000 miles right now.

I would stay with a DP that has a pre 2007 engine or a 2010 and newer.  Have a 2009 currently and I don't ever want a Particulate Filter/re generation system again! :o:angry:

Agree with Bill.  :)

When I bought my 2012 F350 I was a little freaked out about the whole new DEF issue.  After towing with it for over 40,000 miles the whole DEF issue is nothing more than an extra fluid to keep track of IMHO.  Maybe Cummins or one of the other diesel makers had additional issues I am not aware of when it came to diesel exhaust fluid, but Fords new 6.7 was okay.

I am like Carl, I would try to buy before the particulate filters and after the introduction of DEF. The adding of DEF allowed the manufactuers to improve performance that had been dialed back for emission reasons. I have heard the DEF coaches are geting better milage.

Bill

You can find a 2016 Thor Venetian M37 on RVTrader.com.

My problem are those MH's with opposing couches and behind one of the couches is a raise up TV.  Not functional at all. We are looking for MH's with Couch and Happy Hour Chair (HHC) and a TV that is view-able from most angles. (At my age HHC is nap time. )

It seems to me that there has been a hefty amount of  criticism of Thor quality and customer service on this website. If I am wrong, I apologize in advance.🤔

3 hours ago, manholt said:

I'm beginning to believe, we have another "One Poster"! :huh:  Getting tired of this, is this the future? :huh::wacko:

You are wrong, wrong, wrong, he has made two posts. :ph34r:

Guys,

While it IS frustrating for a first time poster to not continue to respond to posts made on their behalf, I am not sure that pointing this out lends itself to the welcoming that will lead to their doing just that-- becoming contributing members of the Forum.

So, perhaps it would be beneficial to allow first time posters a little more latitude.

Thanks.

Brett.  I do understand PC, but the first time was one comment, July 28, 2015...we try hard to be fair, courteous to all and give as much information as is necessary... No Feedback is frustrating! :wacko:

Yea, I know....I'm on TIME OUT...AGAIN!!!!

Its beyond frustrating its a waste of time. What posters don't realize is if we offer some solution for their question and it works or it doesn't work, knowing that benefits so many others. Its becoming more of our selfish societies way of doing things; its all about me attitude. 

I'll now join Carl in time out.

Believe me, I am equally frustrated with the one time posters.

But, showing it, particularly to first time posters is a sure fire way to insure that they ARE one time posters. Any hint of "unwelcome" or "you are a newbie and we are not" can only serve to run them off permanently.

BTW, this happens on virtually all forums. 

And, I have to admit, I am guilty.  I have joined appliance forums to get specific information on repair procedures and joined a MB Sprinter forum when we were researching driving a motorhome to South America. I never followed up with either, other than to thank posters for their information after the problem with the dishwasher was solved/we changed directions on the South America trip.  If posts were made by others subsequent to that, I have not been back to the sites to see.

The one time posters don't realize that in many instances a reply can consume some time in research, not just off the top of the head.

Hey, y'all are off topic.  I think One Time Posters should be a separate thread and a "sticky."

========

I hope Ed got his move up from his '05 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 40 PLQ. (There I stayed on topic, no time out.)

4 hours ago, wolfe10 said:

Believe me, I am equally frustrated with the one time posters.

But, showing it, particularly to first time posters is a sure fire way to insure that they ARE one time posters. Any hint of "unwelcome" or "you are a newbie and we are not" can only serve to run them off permanently.

BTW, this happens on virtually all forums. 

And, I have to admit, I am guilty.  I have joined appliance forums to get specific information on repair procedures and joined a MB Sprinter forum when we were researching driving a motorhome to South America. I never followed up with either, other than to thank posters for their information after the problem with the dishwasher was solved/we changed directions on the South America trip.  If posts were made by others subsequent to that, I have not been back to the sites to see.

The big difference is you went back and thanked them for responding. In my opinion going back after that is optional. Not going back to a post shows bad manners and lack of respect to those you are asking for advice and help.;)

Bill

Exactly, Bill. Its just common courtesy to say thank you. 

Hopefully Ed is enjoying a new motorhome that meets all his needs.  If so, it would sure be nice to hear what you settled on, Ed.

We shouldn't feel slighted, Ed posted the following on iRV2 on 9/27 and received 9 responses; he never came back there either.

Need suggestions on diesel pusher brands

I looking to move up from my '05 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 40 PLQ. Looking for a used or new diesel pusher in the 36'-40' range. Must have lots of pass through basement storage and 10,000# towing capacity.

Thanks,
Ed

The original OP may have gotten tied up dealing and/or taking delivery on a coach.  He may have had some type of medical emergency, or a family problem.  Heck, unless someone knows him personally, for all we know he may not speak English very well and has a adult kid or grandkid post questions for him.  There could be many things that keep him from lurking on this site every day.  I don't care if he comes back or not and no one else should either.  I certainly am not going to bad mouth him for not making a follow up comment.  

Recap.  Ed joined Forum July 28, 2015 and made his first comment on a Post from 2012 dealing in Octane 85 fuel in high/low altitude.  He's on IRV2, with Same OP as here!  He/She/Son/Grandkid, could at least say "Thank you" as Brett did...then it's acceptable and everyone is happy! :)

As a fairly newbie member, I would like to say that there are many reasons why someone would be a one-time poster.  Often it is the feeling that your question/comment isn't considered as relevant/worthy/intelligent.  And sometimes they're not.  But often the question is part of a learning process.  After owning a 5th wheel for almost 20 years, I have found owning a diesel pusher motorhome a rather daunting, as well as expensive, experience.  I suspect that I'm not the only one.  Additionally, manners doesn't seem to be what they used to be.  Add that to the failure that often happens in my case, sometimes the notifications don't work the way they are supposed to.  Just saying....

By the way, back to the original intent of the string.  A friend of mine bought a brand new Thor Hurricane about 27 months ago.  They have successfully completed the grand total of 2 trips.  And that includes the last one two months ago where they wound up having to get help moving the slide by hand, and having the rear ladder literally break off.  I've heard other similar stories about the company.  My Discovery has cost me more than a year's payments for maintenance in the 26 months that we've had it.  That is with a Cornerstone extended warranty.  However, I think that was due to lack of proper maintenance during the previous 6 years.  Buyer beware.  And now, since I have put my pfennig worth's in, I'm going to jump over to the proper section to ask anyone's opinion on the Safe-T-Plus system.