bbrigham

Tightening Slide Topper Carefree Colorado

What model of Carefree Awning do you have? It appears you do not have enough tension on the roller. If it is very loose and just hanging you may have a broken roller spring. Not hard to replace and readily available.   

Tightening will depend on which Awning you have. When looking at the awning the bracket/brace/support arm on your right will be the side that connects to the roller spring. If the spring is not broken you can, with great caution, unbolt the arm. Before doing this, contact Carefree and find out how many turns it takes to tighten the roller spring. 

I would then, again with great caution, unroll the tension on the arm. doing this will give you the starting point for counting the turns. When you have done this. re-secure the arm and test the slide to insure you have the correct tension and the awning cap doesn't get caught.

Herman

It sound like one of the springs is not working.  With the slide all the way in but out about an inch undo the end cap arm and hang on tight because there should be spring tension.  Let it unwind slowly and count the turns.  Should be around 8-10 I think.  You may find no tension on one end, if so remove the screws and pull the spring assy out and see whats broken.

My front slide does the same on occasion, when the dealer replaced the spring they didn't tighten it up enough, its on my list to do, for now I spray oil the rollers so they don't bind, worked for 3 years now.

If its a new concern I'm betting the spring is weak or broke.

We have the Omega, info attached

052888-011 Omega.pdf

Be very careful, the springs on these awnings are extremely strong.  Think like garage door springs, if you don't maintain tight control it can really injure you.  I would never remove the mounting without taking the tension off the spring.  Carefree of Colorado has technical information for their awnings on-line.  Basically, the slide toppers will require unwinding the fabric completely, locking the roller and removing the fabric from roller which also requires removing it from the RV.  Then you wind the roller, I'd give it no more than one additional revolution, then reinstall the fabric, release the lock.  Too much tension on the fabric can cause difficulty for the mechanism that opens the slide-out.  It can also lead to breaking the spring.

The process can be largely done from the roof, working over the edge when the slide is in.  When it comes time to install, it may help to have someone on a ladder on the ground to help feed the fabric onto the roller.

I've had a broken spring (snow loading on an open slide), when that occurs, the fabric will not retract at all.  It sounds to me as if you just need to tighten the spring.

8 hours ago, desertdeals69 said:

Let it unwind slowly and count the turns.  Should be around 8-10 I think.  

On the Carefree Omaha there is only one spring.  It connects to the right arm. The spring has a piece on the end that fits the groves on the inside of the tube. On the outer end is a tube with a slot that fits over the arm. It has a slot in the spring end where the arm has a pin to slide into the slot.

When I replaced mine carefree told me 21 turns. That is why I suggested call the factory for the correct number for your awning. 

Herman