Squinko

Newbie Water Tank & Black Tank Flush Question

Hello all, 

I am very very new to the motorhome world. We have a 2011 40' Damon Tuscany DP we got about 2 month ago. We just took our first trip to a KOA in the MH and boy do we have a lot to learn. One thing that I thought I new but now I am not sure I do is the city water hook up.  I had about a 1/2 tank of water in my holding tank and I think we were using it instead of the campground water. 

• How do I know if the city water is working and it's not coming out of my fresh water storage tank I can fill at home? 
  • Do I need to use the water pump when I am hooked up to the campground water connection?  

I tried to flush my black tank out before we left but I could never get any water to come out of the black tank.  I have attached a picture of my set up. 

• Can someone comment on what the process is to flush the black tank?
  • Also, the green handle value that has two setting (Local Supply and Fresh Water Tank).  Is that how I can fill my fresh water tank when hooked up at a campsite if it is set to Fresh Water Tank?  What does the Local Supply mean?  Ugh!  

This forum has been very informative and supportive for us.  Please feel free to use very simple "Everyone should know this already" terms. 

Thanks in advance for all your help, 

Benny. 

IMG_3209.JPG

Benny,  Welcome to the wonderful world of trying to figure out how stuff works. 

Let me see if I can give a hand. When you are hooked up to water at the campground I would turn off the pump as long as the water preshure is high enough. (I highly recommend you get a water preshure regulator with a gage.) The lever in the picture should be (I think) in the "local supply" setting. The setting now should fill the freshwater tank. Make shure the valves on the "shower" are closed. This has to do with outher possible issues so don't worrey about it now.  

To flush the black tank hook the hose up to the fitting that says "sewer tank flush". I have a clear elbow in the drain line so I can see when clear water comes out. This generally only flushes the black tank. Make shure you turn the water back on at the campground spigot. Don't close the gate valve on the Black tank when flushing and walk away EVER.:P

If the gray tank valve is open, close it before dumping the black tank.

Recap, "How do I know if the city water is working and it's not coming out of my fresh water storage tank I can fill at home? " With the green valve in "local supply" turn off the pump and see if you have water preshure.

"Do I need to use the water pump when I am hooked up to the campground water connection?"  No, Not unless the preshure is very low. If it is you can fill your tank and use the onboard water pump.

"What does the Local Supply mean?"  Campground water supply.

"I tried to flush my black tank out before we left but I could never get any water to come out of the black tank." If you have good water preshure at the campground the only thing I can think off is there is a check valve in the flush inlet to prevent back flow. it might be stuck. Not that hard to change or take out and verify if it is working.

I hope I haven't confused you.:D If you have any questions just ask.

Bill

In the picture, the "green" handle is set at fresh water and that = in house tank, turn on pump and you will be using your water.  When your at a campground, before hooking up your hose, turn off pump, then attach hose to spigot and your city water inlet, turn green handle to local supply and turn on spigot...I suggest you add a inline water filter and a pressure gauge to your outside connection.  If your getting water, without pump, it's city!

For black and grey tank, you will need to remove the cap between the two knife handles, attaché your 3" sewer hose and also attach it at CG dump opening.  Don't leave your knife switches open, as you get close to a full grey tank, pull the T handle and empty, you'll probably do that at least twice, before you need to dump black tank.  In your owners manual, you will find a section on black tank flush...my system is different than yours, but from the look in the photo, just hook up a water hose (I would use a non drinking water hose) to the inlet, open the black tank knife switch (T handle all the way out) and flush!

Benny, pretty good information already provided.  I will  just add some additional advise on dumping the black tank.  First of all, while using your black tank make sure you flush with tons of water each time.  Hold the pedal partially open and fill the bowl at least twice after each use.  Leave the bowl with 2" or 3" of standing water which will keep the seal working properly.

I don't use the black flush feature that comes on RV's.  Most of them have a back check valve built into them and they have a habit of failing.  They are usually just designed to spray water into the black tank in order to rinse it.  This is what I have always attached to the end of my sewer boom:  http://www.valterra.com/flush-king-reverse-rv-flush-valve/

With the Flush King I can attach a hose and back flush my black tank (after closing the gray).  It flushes it from the bottom up and I have found it works much better than most OEM installed black tank flushes.  In addition, I can close my black tank after cleaning and open my gray and back flush it the same way.  You would be surprised how much junk (food particles, hair, etc.) gets into your gray tank and never runs out.  

Thanks for all the info. I should have gave more info. I did have a water pressure value and water filter hooked up and the green handle was set to local supply when I was hooked up.  I had no pressure so we turned on the water pump and then it was fine.  My fresh water tank had was half full when we arrived and was empty just before we left so I know we were using that water.  When I move the green handle from local supply to fresh water tank and still hooked up to campground water I could here the fresh water tank filling up.  The panel showed empty on the fresh water and after moving the green handle it started showing the tank as receiving water.  So by accident I think I figured out how to fill my fresh water tank using the campground spigot.  

Since we didn't have any pressure without the pump, I took the water pressure value off and the pressure was better. My neighbor next to me said he did the same because there was not enough pressure with it on.  This KOA hauls water in and they said their pressure is not super great so I figured I was safe not having the water value on.  I wander if the water valve is bad or too restrictive.  

So it is sounding like I did everything right. Not sure why the tank flush didn't work when I hooked it up.  

Here are a couple pics of the set up after I hooked it up.  I always take pictures when I am trying to figure stuff out so I can remember what worked and didn't work. 

IMG_3187.JPG

IMG_3188.JPG

Probably not enough pressure to move any water thru the filter and pressure valve.  Your green handle is reversed...so was mine and still is! 

One thing to add; those press fit sewer hoses are risky, I have heard of them coming apart when water rushes into the hose, if its black water its going all over the ground :blink:.

Sewer hoses is one area I don't skimp on, the risks are much too great. Our coach came with that same hose, I gave it to the dealer and told them to give it to someone else. Personally I like the Rhino Flex, I have an extension for it with a coupler that has the same twist lock as the coupler on the coach. It also sits in the hose slinky, when you open a valve it doesn't jump off and onto the ground.

https://rvsupplyshop.com/products/rhinoflex-swivel-rv-sewer-kit?variant=23052477891&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIn_uVqs_U1gIVwV6GCh1DZAkZEAQYAiABEgLLXfD_BwE

Camco makes several good hoses. I have 4 sections and have needed all of them at one time. In some campgrounds you never know how far to the sewer. The one Joe linked to is good because it can be compressed so it isn't as long for storage.

Bill

Bill, I broke away from the hose in the link for one trip. I bought a Valterra hose kit (red in color), when my first Rhino was 7 years old and pretty beat up. When I pulled the gate open it jumped up like a snake, flipped out of the hose support and expanded all over the ground in a zig-zag pattern. ONE TRIP AND ONE TRIP ONLY!! Gave that thing away! Bought the new version of the Rhino with the swivel fittings and an additional length with the coupler to join them if the reach is longer.

Live and learn I guess....:o

The ones I have are the more yellow/brown and lock together with thee same connectors as the one on the couch. I should start taking notes and  of all the odd locations of sewer openings I have seen.:o 

Bill

Benny,

The valve in the water system serves two purposes. One, to fill your Water tank and two, to allow you to use Camp Ground water rather than from your tank.  My procedure is to one connect my gauge to the camp facet to check the pressure. If below 50 psi I hook my hose directly to the facet. if over I will use my reducer. With the hose attached I will turn on the water and allow any unwanted items from the camp water line and my hose to escape. I will then connect my hose to my inlet. (I have a shut on the end of my hose) turn off my pump and then turn on the camp water. at this point you are using the camp ground water and not your tank. However if you forget to turn off your pump, it is not the end of the world. You will just be using both the water from your tank and the camp ground. Sometime you may not even be aware that the pump is on until you have air bubbles at the facet, then you hear yourself say or think, "oops" .

When you want to fill your water tank you just move the selector valve to "Fill" or what ever position yours says. When you do this you will hear the water moving to fill the tank.  

When traveling 1/2 a tank full should be more than enough. However if you know you will be Boon-docking, then Having a full tank when reaching your destination would be best. 

When unhooking from the camp ground water I always turn off the camp grounds water open and then close the valve to release the pressure. Some folks always use a "Y" connection and, after turning off the CG water open the unused side to release the pressure.

These are just my ways of doing water. After awhile you will have your own procedures that will work best for you.

When traveling in a Motor Home, the old phrase really goes here "LIVE and LEARN". 

Good luck and I hope to see you down the road.

Herman

On 10/3/2017 at 4:44 AM, jleamont said:

One thing to add; those press fit sewer hoses are risky, I have heard of them coming apart when water rushes into the hose, if its black water its going all over the ground :blink:.

Sewer hoses is one area I don't skimp on, the risks are much too great. Our coach came with that same hose, I gave it to the dealer and told them to give it to someone else. Personally I like the Rhino Flex, I have an extension for it with a coupler that has the same twist lock as the coupler on the coach. It also sits in the hose slinky, when you open a valve it doesn't jump off and onto the ground.

https://rvsupplyshop.com/products/rhinoflex-swivel-rv-sewer-kit?variant=23052477891&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIn_uVqs_U1gIVwV6GCh1DZAkZEAQYAiABEgLLXfD_BwE

This was the first time I used this hose. It came with the rig.  It seemed a little sketchy when I put it all together even though it's a pretty tight fit.  I found myself worrying about it and checking it often. May look into the other ones that have a positive connection like you linked.   

Thanks for all the info.  

Benny. 

Benny, glad to help. no one wants to be the guy shooting black or even gray water across the neighbors campsite. We have been places where the patio mat was against my sewer connection. 

Not a good way to make friends :wacko:

I carry 3 of Rinoflex.  Overkill?  No,  I have been in parks (older ones) that I had to run the line under the coach & still had to borrow a section to dump!  I had to use 30 feet at the last rally (new park) because all connections was at rear of the cement slab!

I also carry two 15 foot sections and a 5 foot section.  I have used all three once.

One never knows until the paper work is done.

4 hours ago, manholt said:

Joe, re-read my whole response.  Don't stop at 3.

:o

is that what I have to look forward to next summer?