manholt

Roof A/C Noise

Fan bearings are going dry. You can get a new one from Amazon for $112.00. You can possibly soak the bearings and the felt washers that are on the shaft with 3-in-one oil for electric motors. I kept my blower going for a year doing that.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/WD-40-3-IN-ONE-Motor-Oil-3-Oz/21377719?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227026511371&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=52592071631&wl4=pla-84472030991&wl5=9027284&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=21377719&wl13=&veh=sem

Bill

The old fashion 3 in 1 and the WD 40-3 in 1, I got.  Just don't know that much about AC units!  I do know that all 3 shrouds need to be removed and my condensers cleaned.  Been 30 months....neither Linda or I do roofs anymore!! :o:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thank you, I'll get her son up there today!:) 

I would NOT use 3-1 oil as a bearing (actually, more likely bushings than bearing in the fan motor).

A better choice is a light-viscosity oil such as sewing machine oil.

I would give that one try, and if noise continues/returns, would replace the fan motor.

3 hours ago, wolfe10 said:

I would NOT use 3-1 oil as a bearing (actually, more likely bushings than bearing in the fan motor).

A better choice is a light-viscosity oil such as sewing machine oil.

I would give that one try, and if noise continues/returns, would replace the fan motor.

The oil that I linked to is specifically for oiling electric motors. It works fairly well in this application. Especially if you slide the felt washers away from the opening to the bering and make a reservoir with tape to hold a supply of oil in place and give it time to soak into the porous bearing material. 

Bill

Surprisingly, I used a high viscosity gun oil that Linda had (her past husband was a gun smith and a mechanical engineer), I have no more squeal and it runs smooth ! :) Now to clean 3 condensers....With the aid of a 6 pack of beer, I solicited young help! :lol:

Thanks all for your input and help! :wub:  If I have any more problem with #2 AC unit, I will install the fan and motor that Linda got from amazon !  Will be here Wednesday...:)  

2 hours ago, manholt said:

Surprisingly, I used a high viscosity gun oil that Linda had (her past husband was a gun smith and a mechanical engineer), I have no more squeal and it runs smooth ! :) Now to clean 3 condensers....With the aid of a 6 pack of beer, I solicited young help! :lol:

Thanks all for your input and help! :wub:  If I have any more problem with #2 AC unit, I will install the fan and motor that Linda got from amazon !  Will be here Wednesday...:)  

The oiling worked so well that I carried the new fan motor for almost 6 months on a trip West last year. Ended up changing it in a park near Zion. By the way the fans don't come with the motor. They also take different size allen wrenches. :o The size I didn't have on the roof with me the first time.:P

Bill

6 hours ago, manholt said:

Where they regular allen's or the larger kind? 

They were regular, I don't remember the size 100% but I am thinking 3/16 1/4 or 5/32.

I did grumble when I had to get down and back up. It took longer to find the missing wrench than to swap the fans. Measure on the shaft where the fans are so you can put them the same spacing on the new motor. When you get the motor back in spin the shaft a couple of times to make shure it spins freely and doesn't hit anything.:D

Here is a link to a video. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doJ_oD18lZs

Bill

Here is a ??? update.  Zone # 2 is actually #3 and #3 is #2....Must have been a Monday morning when they put this coach together! :( Also, all components are from 2004 to 2006, coach was built January 2010 ! :angry:  Note to self:  Any coach I and/or Linda get next, if the components don't match the build date (within 12 months) reject it...:rolleyes:

Must be a common problem. My zone 1 is the back AC but it is the "middle" AC. I never checked dates on them. 

I can see how the factory may large quantity of appliances to get a better price. Most times I don't think it would make that much difference, except where they have done a improvement in the interim. :o

Bill

Here's the American Coach logic for AC numbering.  For years there were two ACs, front #1, rear #2.  When they added AC #3, they didn't want to confuse the techs, so they simply made it #3....and put it in the middle.  Don't know when they changed the numbering, but my 14 Eagle's ACs are #1, #2, #3....front to rear.