I recently had the unfortunate experience of watch our 2015 Allegro Bus being towed down a bumpy road at an excessively high rate of speed.  Not only was the tow truck damaged but I have no idea how to determine the extent of the damage to our coach.  That is the subject of this post, how do I inspect the coach to determine the extent of the damage.  Even then, should I be concerned with unseen damage that is sure to rear it's ugly head as soon as I sign off on the repairs.

To put this into perspective, our motorhome was towed in a manner which cause the towing mechanism on the tow truck to bend to the extent that the left front tire was dragging on the pavement.  This allowed the apparatus to beat and pound on the chassis in the front of the coach.  Entrance steps mangled,   generator slide mechanism is tweaked and no longer fits in end cap.  The suspension in the rear of the coach has both shock absorbers pulled totally apart and the air level control valve ripped off the frame rail. Forces were so great that the pocket doors inside the coach had the 4 2" screws ripped out of the door and the door split.  Shelf pins in pantry torn out and closet contents knocked off shelves and hangers off rod.   

Does anyone have any suggestions on how this coach should be inspected?  Should I be asking for an extended warranty to be purchased? 

Thanks

George Gardner

2015 Allegro Bus 37AP

2006  Jeep TJ Rubicon

George, 

Am sorry for you experience. I have a few questions.

Who got the Towing Service for you?

Was it through a Road Service company you have?

Is their, the towing company's going to cover the Damages?

With what you have said my biggest fear would be "Did they remove the Drive Shaft before towing"? If not there could be your biggest issue and most expensive.

Your best bet would be to turn it into your insurance company and to the towing company's insurance. either or both will want it taken to a shop. The shop will be able to give you and the companies a rough estimate and the companies will sent out an adjuster to consult with the shop.

Document each call and name of who you spoke with.

Herman  

Agree with Herman. Adjusters will inspect, then it goes into the shop of your choice. If the shop finds additional damage that the adjuster did not catch the insurance company will make further adjustments to cover the bill.  You should not be out of pocket for any expenses from either insurance company but your insurance company will "fight" with the towing company for all settlements.  You can always have an independent 3rd party inspect before and after repairs.

The towing company was sent to us by Coach Net.  Both Coach Net and the owner of the company have been very supportive and all costs have been covered by the towing company.  Freightliner is inspecting the chassis and a nearby Tiffin dealer's body shop will inspect the coach.  My biggest concern is those unseen items than can pop up after driving down the road a ways.  

The Allison Manual is very specific about the drive shaft being dropped (unhooked). Experienced tow truck operators know the rule. Watch them as they prepare the unit to be towed and insist that the drive shaft be be disabled by  removing a universal joint and properly cradle the shaft from dragging. There are some lazy ones that don't give  a rip about doing a good job.

WOW just WOW. I bet they never aired the suspension up either. If they didn't remove the drive shaft I would be telling the insurance company you need a new coach.

Bill

Has your insurance company been notified?  They will be in your corner....the Tow Co. Insurance is not your friend and will not fight for you!  If possible get a Tiffin Factory Rep to look at it.  Photo, photo and video of all damage! 

George, I have been following your post on the damage.  Unbelievable!  I hope you guys are not full timers.  Keep us posted on how you make out with repairs and insurance.