augerdogger

Bus Conversons & RV Parks

I recently tried to make an RV reservation in Albany, OR.  I told them I had a Class A Vantare.  They told me they were not familiar with that RV and asked for more details.  I responded that it was a bus conversion by Featherlite.  The woman responded that bus conversions were NOT welcome, end of conversation.   I have had bus conversions since 2001 and this is the 2nd time this has occurred.  I chose this park because it was convenient to Marathon in Coburg and Silverleaf Electronics in Albany.  What are others experience?

Clearly she had NO IDEA what you are driving.  Probably pictures a school bus conversion.

My suggestion is to e-mail the CG a picture of your rig and or call back when someone more knowledgeable is on duty.

It seems that as time goes by we get more and more of these situations. I recently had a bad experience with AAA motorclub when needing a tow, the person there stated that if it was an MCI, it was a commercial vehicle, they actually sent a guy in a small wrecker to verify that it is a motorhome, of course the wrecker was too small to tow my coach. But yours being a Vantare, it's probably a Prevost conversion, if so I would offer the brand of the coach with the name Prevost or MCI, or Bluebird.

What amazes me is people today, so quick to jump the gun. With technology at our fingers all she had to do was Google "Vantare bus conversion", when I did I got this :o.

She took the path of least effort, what a fool :angry:.

They must not want trash in their campground :lol:

Sorry, still laughing at some peoples ignorance!

maxresdefault.jpg

Last year we stayed in a "Class A" only resort in Las Vegas and was asked when calling for reservations what year our HR was. I asked why that mattered and she said they only allow RV's less than 10 years of age. After getting checked in and parked we walked around and saw several Prevost's that were clearly over 10 years of age judging by the old style headlights. I walked over to the office and politely asked about this and was told "Bus conversions are different. we just have them send a photo" Oh well, in 2 more years I'll know where I cannot go!

11 minutes ago, rpelatt said:

Last year we stayed in a "Class A" only resort in Las Vegas and was asked when calling for reservations what year our HR was. I asked why that mattered and she said they only allow RV's less than 10 years of age. After getting checked in and parked we walked around and saw several Prevost's that were clearly over 10 years of age judging by the old style headlights. I walked over to the office and politely asked about this and was told "Bus conversions are different. we just have them send a photo" Oh well, in 2 more years I'll know where I cannot go!

We stayed this year in a Class a only resort, when I called and gave the coach info I was met with some resistance because of a 10 year rule, I told them before you say NO, may I send you a photo while on the phone, he gave me their email address, I flipped a photo to him, his response was "what dates did you want again"? We stayed there and loved it, nice relaxing and quiet, no normal CG issues whatsoever!!

P.s. our coach is a 2002

18 minutes ago, rpelatt said:

Oh well, in 2 more years I'll know where I cannot go!

Follow the advice you posted.  Send a picture of your coach and THEN ask for a reservation.

For many years we faced this with our 1993 Foretravel.  A quick e-mail with photo got us into 100% of those places we wanted to go.

So, in most CG's, the rule REALLY MEANS: "If older than XX, we want to make sure your coach is not a wreck."

And, I actually support that rule. 

4 hours ago, augerdogger said:

I recently tried to make an RV reservation in Albany, OR.  I told them I had a Class A Vantare.  They told me they were not familiar with that RV and asked for more details.  I responded that it was a bus conversion by Featherlite.  The woman responded that bus conversions were NOT welcome, end of conversation.   I have had bus conversions since 2001 and this is the 2nd time this has occurred.  I chose this park because it was convenient to Marathon in Coburg and Silverleaf Electronics in Albany.  What are others experience?

Next time tell them you have a Prevost or a Country Coach or whatever, just leave out the bus part.  Having said that, unless I really, really needed to stay there I would laugh in their face and send them a picture later that day telling them you were happy not to be staying there.  The park is likely not good enough for a coach like mine to stay there!

I don't like dealing with idiots and I have a very low tolerance for intolerance.  Even if you had a school bus conversion, most RV parks have RV's in there that are WAY worse looking than a well done school bus conversion.  I have a Prevost as well and it's a 1988 so I have my own issues with folks asking what year it is but I only use the words Prevost and Country Coach.  Never had a problem on that side but my coach keeps getting newer as each year passes.  Currently I am driving a "2007" Prevost!  Next year I will be driving a 2008.

Coburg, OR - Stay at Armitage RV Park a county run park with FHU. You need to register on-line as drive in can only stay 2 days on space available.  the park is about 1 mile from Marathon, Cumming. and Freighliner.  Nightly cost is about $25

p.s., it is in Coburg but listed as Eugene

Here is their web site: Lane County Parks

For me this is a great thread and a steep learning curve...fore warned is fore armed so now I think I will for the future drive a much later coach like a Newell or Prevost. I did not realize what I experienced a couple years back when at the end of Flathead Lake trying to get into a very nice park up on the hill...gated and with a twoway talk system. I rang the bell, they answered and asked what year coach I said 2001, (the Zanzibar) and the conversation immediately became too scratchy (as in not working noisy) to understand anything. We left after a bit since no one came down or the gate did not unlock.