Seegrannygo

Dometic Rear AC

This evening, while sitting comfortably in our rig we noticed a plastic smell permeating the air. Further investigation revealed it was coming from the rear duct work and the rear AC was not blowing cold air. I turned off the AC and the smell went away. Also climbed on the roof but didn’t notice any residual smell in the rear AC. 

Not even sure where to begin troubleshooting this one. Any suggestions?

thanks,

Marc

2006 Fleetwood Discovery 39S

Katy, Tx. 

Did you try to start the AC again? If it doesn't start I would pull the shroud and see if the fan motor turns freely.  Look for burned /discolored wires on the start capacitor.

Let us know what you find.

By the way welcome to the forum.

Bill

I did try to run it again. The fan motor starts since it is blowing air but it sounds like the compressor is not kicking in. I can hear it (The compressor) attempt to kick in but then it starts to smell. And I hear the compressor keep attempting to start. 

Tomorrow in the daylight, remove the shroud and check fan mounts, electric area (capacitor leaking) etc.  But plastic smell sounds more like fan hitting housing than an electrical issue.

Unless you really need it, I would not re-try it until verifying that all is well visually.