desertdeals69

'98 Fleetwood Discovery Living Room Window Removal

On a 98 Fleetwood Discovery I need to remove the living room side window to exchange refrigerators.

Anyone know how to get the window to release from the side of the coach?

I've tried some prying but couldn't get it to budge.

I have much better luck removing the passenger side windshield on a split windshield for fridge replacement, just a thought.

DD,

Assuming you have removed the screws have you tried using one of the tool they use on auto windshields. I don't know what try call it but it is a handle with a hook to go through the adhesive between the body and glass. It has gable with a "Tee" attached to allow you to pull the hook to separate the adhesive. 

You might give Lee at RvFog Dr. He can give you a hint.

Herman 

Bruce,

Try some fishing line if you are trying to cut/separate 20 year old mastic.

I KNOW, not much fishing line in Arizona.

Once you get it out, have on hand new window seal gasket. Measure width, add height, multiply by 2 and add 2 feet. You will be surprised how much extra is needed to go around the corners. Be sure weep holes are at the bottom and the butt joint of the new seal is nearly centered at the bottom, also. 

Brett.  You would be surprised at the amount of fishing they have.:o  Fresh Water!  Have not, don't know about Lake Havasu?  :blink:

When applying pressure to brake the old mastic loose, we use to use wedges and give it plenty of time to release. Take your time as you could bend warp the opening/window if you are to aggressive. ;) Good luck. 

Bill

I got it out!  I used a 4 inch putty knife and a hammer and went around the edge and broke the sealer all the way around and it came out.  Thanks everyone for ideas.

Bruce/ You lost another refrigerator? I remember that the last one was in a different coach, but after a call with a recording to back you up, Lowes replaced it. 

I am still trying to justify moving everything under our Dometic in order to install a Res fridge. Kinda thinking that even a Res fridge should be turned off if you are parked way off of level, but I am not sure about that.

1 hour ago, obedb said:

Bruce/ You lost another refrigerator. ? I remember that the last one was in a different coach, but after a call with a recording to back you up, Lowes replaced it. 

I am still trying to justify moving everything under our Dometic in order to install a Res fridge. Kinda thinking that even a Res fridge should be turned off if you are parked way off of level, but I am not sure about that.

I only lost one, the Heier which had no warranty.  That was in my last coach, I put the Norcold back in and sold it.  My new to me coach is the one I'm installing a new 10.2 cu ft Insignia from Best Buy.  Its ok if installed in an rv and I got the extended 5 year warranty. I'm taking out a Dometic 3722? which is 32 inches wide and the new one is 24 inches wide leaving me 8 inches to put in a much needed pantry.  The new refrigerator has a bottom freezer and has more interior space than the old one.

Insignia?  Never heard of it...Who is the manufacturer?  Pantry is a good thing, mostly cans, is a bad thing!  Good Luck...

Insignia is an in house Best Buy brand. Each model is made by different companies. Therefore, his particular model would be needed to trace the manufacture. 

I did buy it a Best Buy because I could find only 2 models that were 24 inches wide with the freezer on the bottom.  The other one was GE but was 2 1/2 times more expensive.  Been testing the Insignia on the garage floor and it seems to run ok.  Can't hear the compressor running unless you put your ear to the cabinet.  Cools down the freezer from 86 degrees to -7  in less than 3 hours and draws 1.1 amps, 1.8 for defrost.

Kenmore is Sears house brand and their products are made by various manufacturers with the lowest bid.

Bruce, those are great amp draw numbers. Everyone would be surprised to know how many calls I got when I advertised my ocean front property in Arizona for $500.00, LOL.:rolleyes:

There is an alligator farm in the San Luis Valley near Alamosa CO and it gets to 40 below there from time to time. Why not Kodiak?😂

Sorry guys, about Res Fridges being unleveled and no problems. Not true. Looked around on the Internet. Found several critical reasons for keeping the fridge level. Visited a post sent to me by Brett about how to post a hyperlink. Still can't get it done. Dumbass trucker I guess.😎 If we had one, I would still ask Betty to turn the fridge off when we're about about to go into an unleveled situation. Fueling, checking in at a park, stopping for a whiz, etc.

Fridge needs to be level from side to side and a 1/4 high in the front to get the door to close at 45degree angle. Observing those parameters allows the fridge to function at top performance. Parking the coach cattywompass with the fridge on is probably not a good thing.

I always asked Betty to turn our Dometic off in advance of being off level for whatever reason. Was determined to keep our Dometic level when in a park or in storage for the winter. 

I think that if we had a Res Fridge, I would still do the same, and I would to like to have one to reduce the danger of a fire.

Happy days.

Obedb, not sure how important leveling a residential refrigerator other than water draining properly in defrost mode or having nice consistent ice cubes. If that was the case you couldn't run the A/C in your car if you were driving or parked on a hill.