f424363

Battery Issues

My battery is new but it keeps going dead after one day or sometimes just a couple hours if I don't have it plugged in. It is not the house battery it is the engine/chassis battery.  We have checked so many things we are out of ideas. We took in twice to the shop but they can't figure it out either.

I attached a picture and the silver cylinder thing is extremely HOT, you can't touch it for more than a few seconds without getting burned. Not sure what it is or what it does. But thought maybe it's the issue. Engine has not been running but it remains hot all the time

image.jpg

What you may have is defective solenoid. It should only be active when the key is turned on. Disconnect one of the large cables from one side. Be sure and cover to to protect it from shorting out. If the solenoid cools off. Replace it. Be sure and get a 12 volt continuance solenoid. 

Herman 

If I disconnected the battery cable and that cooled it off would that be the same result. Sorry dumb old blonde asking.lol Just not sure if I can get the cable off that little thing myself

I just disconnected the battery and it is cooling down so I guess that is the issue. Will get it changed.  Thanks Herman

We unhooked the battery it got cool. We left battery unhooked and plugged coach into 30 am power from pole and it got hot again.  We are going to disconnect purple plug reconnect battery and try that. This has been going on for a year and no one has been able to figure it out so I sure do appreciate the help.  He is about ready to sell the coach and stop rving and I sure don't want that.

Do you have the wiring diagram for your coach?  If not, get one from your coach manufacturer.  Then a good RV tech can troubleshoot it.

Also, a good idea to fill in your coach information in your profile so we know what rig you have.  Someone else with the same coach may have faced the same issue.

Have you checked the individual batteries? There is the possibility that you have a bad cell and it is causing the high current draw heating up the solenoid.

Bill

I thought I had that all in my profile but it never shows up. We unhooked purple wire and reconnected battery and it's no longer hot. What is the purple wire for?

You have to set up a SIGNATURE to have the basics plus anything you perceive as clever show up at the bottom of each post. Took me a while how to figure how to do that. With Tom Butler's help, I got it done.

All 3 batteries have been replaced a couple times thinking that was it. If we disconnect battery it stays charged for a month but as soon as reconnected dead in a few hours. With purple wire off it stays cool and voltage on battery not changing.  Now can you tell me how do I find signatures to fix that problem of not having it listed.

2 hours ago, F424363 said:

I thought I had that all in my profile but it never shows up. We unhooked purple wire and reconnected battery and it's no longer hot. What is the purple wire for?

If the purple wire has 12 volt that is what is activating the solenoid.  That should come on with the ignition on or jump start switch.  With it disconnected start the engine and see if the engine battery is about the same voltage as the house battery. If more that about 1 volt difference hook up the purple wire and see if they are closer to the same voltage. If so then there is a problem with the purple (control) wire.  Thats my guess without actually being able to trouble shoot it.

We unhooked the purple wire and the chassis battery would not charge at all but it did not lose volts either and it did not get hot. Soon as we re hooked purple wire it heated up and lost volts. Keeps volts good as long as plugged into shore line even though it is extreme hot. Soon as we unplug from 30amp volts drop. Going to take it in and get solenoid changed out and see if that solves it.

Would love to hear if anyone else has these problems.

This is just too bad not to share. Took the coach in. They asked Steve what kind of solenoid do you have?  I don't know your the guy I'm going to pay 200.00 to fix it you should know!!!  He then said they make 2 kinds one that stays open and one that stays closed I have to know which one you want? I want the one that is not working!  Not sure what to do next. If a paid trained mechanic does not know how am I supposed to know.

This brings up an interesting question; are these normally open or closed? I realize there is "no standard" but anyone that has experience, should it be energized with the house power on?

8 hours ago, F424363 said:

This is just too bad not to share. Took the coach in. They asked Steve what kind of solenoid do you have?  I don't know your the guy I'm going to pay 200.00 to fix it you should know!!!  He then said they make 2 kinds one that stays open and one that stays closed I have to know which one you want? I want the one that is not working!  Not sure what to do next. If a paid trained mechanic does not know how am I supposed to know.

If this one was ever replaced, whomever replaced it may have used the incorrect one, and probably got rid of the coach because of the mistake. Probably only one number or letter difference in the two. Or it could have been rewired incorrectly to the wrong position. I would suspect that the purple wire should be wired to the key switch, for the purpose of activation for charging house batteries while the coach is running. If wired that way, it would need to be normally open. Need to know what supplies purple wire current for that reason.

Yes, confirming with Damon is a good idea.

But  I would be SHOCKED if it were not the "common" one: open until signal terminal received power (positive and either ground through body or through ground terminal).

10 hours ago, F424363 said:

After looking over the information in the owners manual - there is no information regarding the shore power or generator wiring.

Damon Motor Coach P.O. Box 2888 Elkhart, IN. USA 46515-2888 (574) 264-2900

(Think I would ask for Technical help Department.)and maybe where the closest authorized service center is. Also might ask for a copy of the 120 volt shore and generator wiring diagram and parts list.

The common wiring is, the contacts of the ATS are closed when on shore power and no power is supplied to the coil. When the generator is running power is applied to the ATS after a delay to allow the ATS to connect the generator to the main AC power panel.

The DC voltage for the ATS is supplied from the BCC in most cases. Medium Duty  Relays close supplying 12 volts to the ATS and in many cases the 12 volts drops to around 9 volts after the relay closes to minimize the heat in the coils and still keep the ATS energized.

Rich.

Reason I asked; I have one from NAPA, constant duty for the house power that is controlled by the salesman switch, that solenoid gets very hot. I was considering replacing it with this one. The one that failed before actually scorched the fiberglass its mounted to, so they do get hot which is a huge concern of mine, I can understand why the OP is raising the issue.

http://www.partdeal.com/cole-hersee-12v-200a-continuous-duty-solenoid-24213.html?zmam=74973193&zmas=1&zmac=4&zmap=77197098&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxfOSs9_o1gIVRh-GCh0qMQf-EAQYBSABEgKsp_D_BwE

it was a THOR authorized dealer.  Time to do some more homework on our part.  so much conflicting information out  there on the web and I am sure it is good information but not necessary for an RV.  That is why we took it to an authorized dealer thinking they would know since its what they do and are trained for.