gordiegaffer

Thetford Problem

I have a thetford problem sometimes when i step on the pedal to flush if i step too hard the valve will stay open if i reach in (with gloves on) and move the slide it will close. do i need to rebuild the valve or replace or adjust the cable Help my grandsons are coming and they are not old enough to understand step lightly

I have done two things to improve the blade movement.  On my toilet I can remove a surrounding panel to access where some of the moving parts are located. A light touch of plumbers silicone helps.  Instead of leaving the winterizing fluid or even water for long periods in the bowl I use olive oil to lubricate and keep the seal soft.  And inch or two left between trips works. Mine was acting up so badly 6 years ago I bought a repair kit.  Still in the original wrap.

Rocky.

That's a great tip! :) Any food grade oil will do, my GF uses Canola in hers and it also helps the knife switch lubed.  I have a macerator toilet, different, would not want one again! :(

The last time I had a problem it wasen't the blade sticking but the end of the water valve. You probabley have to take a small cover off on the side of the toilet to get to it. I used a silacone spray on the shaft of the valve and where it /the end rides in the cam that actavates it when you step on or pull up the pedel.

Didn't have any of Linda's salid dressing.

Bill

Might have to try the Canola oil trick. Ours is an electric blade type toilet, it just started to squeak while opening and closing.