wvujazzman

State Farm vs Progressive Insurance

Hi everyone... newbies to both FMCA and MH in general... just getting ready to purchase our first MH and I'm doing some research on insurance.  Progressive seems to be the leader in terms of service, but all my other stuff is with State Farm and I'll be forced to pay a premium on my umbrella liability policy if I don't use them for my RV insurance as well.  The costs are pretty close to Progressive, and I have the added benefit of a local agent with whom I've had a relationship for 25+ years... but is the coverage any good?  Does anyone have any experience with State Farm in terms of handling RV claims?  I've not had problems in other areas, but this could be different.

Thanks in advance!

Eric

Hi Jazzman and welcome. I have no experience with State Farm but I see your in PA so I wanted to chip in my 2 cents. We were in Punxsutawney and still have the farm there. I have had Nationwide for years and was happy with them. When we bought our coach last year and wanted to ins it, NW didn't do motorhomes but they used Progressive. We went with that and it was about $1400 for the year. We are now fulltime and residents of South Dakota. We also just renewed our policy with Progressive for $700 a year. Same policy, same company, different location. We are new as well and still learning so I'm only passing on what we did. May not be the best thing but it works for us, for now. Kind of like the old saying, "Don't follow me, I'm lost too". Safe journey.

The don't offer a lot of stuff... like diminishing deductibles, Mexico coverage, combined limits... all the things that you're told during research are important to consider when researching rv insurance.  I actually told my agent today that they really don't want to be in the rv insurance business, or they'd offer better coverage.  I'm leaning pretty strongly towards Progressive and just paying the $30 per month surcharge on my umbrella policy, but I did want to check in with folks here first and get some varying opinions.

The only Insurance Company I know off that will cover a car (used to cover Coach, but no more) in Mexico, up to 100 miles is USAA...So my Jeep (Toad) is covered but not my coach.  You have to have Mexican Liability Insurance, no matter who else you got !  $123 for 10 days, with a $20,000 deductible.  That was 3 years ago!

Well, we've got multiple different Progressive quotes, and none of them quite match up.  That's one of the things I'm noticing.  My wife and I and our musical partner are buying this together... she has USAA, which outsources RV insurance to Progressive... that's one quote.  We went directly to the website... that's a second quote... and we talked to an agent we met at the Hershey RV show this fall... that's a third quote.  All for the same coach, with the same coverage... and all different numbers.  I'm glad this is simple!  LOL...

We have had progressive for 10 years.  Two years ago we had a hail claim and Progressive out out $19,000 for repairs. My deductible is $250.  This year Harvey flooded the area where my MH was located.  They totaled it and although I have not seen the money yet it is going to be more than I ever expected.  My next MH will be through Progressive.

Here's the scoop.  We have Progressive with replacement value. Yes, a little more expensive but worth the extra peace of mind and remember we live in a hurricane area/flood area.  Harvey totaled our MH. 

We have the full replacement up to 5 years but after 5 years it is what you paid for it.  The difference is that up to 5 years on a new one you get one of similar value from the same manufacturer that it was purchased from.  After 5 years they pay you what you paid for it.  We are in the latter category with our 9 year old coach, so after payoff to financial company we get what is left over and had it been paid off we would have received the full amount - no depreciation.  Other companies offer the same, or GAP.  Worth the extra. Our new coach will be a new used coach so we will only have what we paid for it replacement.  Worth it to us.

We no longer own a motorhome but that will be short lived and only a week or two away - searching, searching, searching.

State Farm now has a Mexico endorsement. Check with your agent depends on your resident state.  Check with the  Motor Coach Collision Repair shops on reputation for paying accident related damages.  State Farm towed Coach from Rural SW VA to NC to the closest repair shop after a tree fell across the Coach. The  dealer shop wrote the estimate and the claim was paid.  Towing was part of the comprehensive coverage.  

State Farm Bank offers financing terms with pay off protector at no additional charge.  I am staying with my State Farm agent. 

USAA will cover your toad 100 miles into Mexico....but, by Mexico Law, we still need to purchase a separate Mexican Liability Policy, from a Mexican Insurance Company! 

I have been with State Farm for 50 years. Service has been very good. House, cars, motorhome all with them. 2014 a tree fell on our first toad (totaled) and we had not left on the  first trip with the Phaeton. Toad was a Subaru Forester 2010 that we had put 94 miles on from purchasing dealer to RV dealer that would install Blue Ox baseplate with diodes . Parts and labor on the base plate installation was over a grand. When I called in the loss, I knew that I was going to lose big. Wrong!!! Actually came out a little ahead of our total cost for everything. All other  experiences with State Farm have been good  (they are few). Maybe that depends on your agent???

Mexico coverage? Could care less! Napoleanic system of justice. You are guilty until proven innocent. Been to the border many times as a trucker long before 9/11. Could'nt get me into Mexico for any reason. Period! 

Will be with State Farm until I stop breathing.

I grew up in State Farm's home town (Bloomington IL).  As big as they have gotten over the past 50 years I suspect there are not any bigger devoted customers as you Byron!  It sounds like you really like them, but you should really do yourself a favor and shop around for insurance every couple of years.  

I just received quotes from several major companies because we are switching from a 2014 gas MH to a new DP.  Premiums ranged from $2,100 a year to well over $4,400.  Good Sams being the cheapest and State Farm and Progressive being the most expensive.  Others like USAA were in between.  I know it depends on where your address is and some other factors but if I just blindly stayed with my old hometown company I would be paying almost double for my MH insurance.  I don't love anyone that much my friend!!!

Have no reason to change. Have been treated well over the years by State Farm. Had the same agent for almost 41 years and he could not have been better. I did take an Internet look a time or two for rates from the other biggies and we were better off with State Farm.

I had SF for 45 years, no accidents or claims. I switched to AARP/THE HARTFORD for 3 vehicles, a 2005 GMC 3/4 TON CREWCAB to pull a 5th wheel; a 2013 Ford Explorer for business; and a 2005 Pilgrim Open Road 34 ft 5th wheel. In addition I insured my business with Hartford for liability as required by some if my clients. Plus a home owners policy and a policy for a home rental I own. All together my annual insurance came to just over $7,500. Not the largest customer but not nickels either! In 2015 I bought my first Class A DP, a 2007 Itasca Horizon with 7,200 miles, and a 2013 Chey Avalanche with 30k miles as a toad, as it held our 2 electric scooters for our personal medical mobility. It tows great. That added another $2,200 to the tab a year until I could sell the truck and 5th wheel. Last March '17 I was backing the motorhome and thought I had cleared a post and dinged the right side rear fiberglass quarter panel under the ladder and got it too. Estimate $10k to fix, which required the removal of the entire rear cap requiring all new trim and seals so the cap could be reinforced. My policy just renewed and every vehicle doubled in premium cost to now over $20k annually! Hartford is trying to get it all back in 1 year. I had paid them enough last year in premiums to pay for the whole repair. 2 important things I learned besides now looking for new insurance. Hartford gave me 2 points against my driving record with them since it was my fault, not the State MVD driving record, who knew they rated customers like this. I told them I would be changing carriers, and her response was this: " Go ahead, it's' going to cost you the same any where because of this: All insuranc companies use what's called the CLUE REPORT (it' on the Internet and anyone can see it) so they will see my premiums, accidents, claims, payouts, and other private business with them including your credit scores as a means of determining rates for quotes and keeping people from company jumping. I would have been better off paying the cash price of $13,000 for the repair myself rather than make a claim for it. Her further response to me was Hartford Insurance is primarily for "CATASTROFIC OCCURANCES" and customers are better off paying "smaller claims" themselves. I will still be changing my insurer, but will be lowering the coverage, raising the deductiblesame, and separating the business items like a car and the rental house to a third insurer. Live and learn in our "great country" its now run by the BIG BUSINES! Insurance is a scam! Hartford paid quick, didn' require multiple quotes or make any attempt to lower the repair cost, they just paid the PRE-AGREED TO RATES FOR NEW MEXICO.  It took two calls between me and the adjuster and I thought it was strange that the claim was so easily processed and settled. Boy don' get Hartford just because AARP hawks it! P. S. if you do have a minor accident like me, tell them you were hit by a hit and run driver while you were parked in an Rv park. Your policy will pay under uninsured motorist provision, and in most states, the Company can' raise your premiums! Another gem from the adjuster @ HartfoHartford!

Buddy of mine was navigating his 42' fiver through a CG a few years ago and on a tight corner swung out and clipped a parked truck.  Total damage to his fiver and the other guys parked truck totaled around $4,000.  He filed a claim and his rates went up for 3 years.  They are just coming back down a little now.

You are correct, it is a scam.