rudischaffner

Allison 3000-- Correct Fluid

17 hours ago, desertdeals69 said:

Transynd 

Agree, or a fluid that is on the Transynd list as being compatible.

I used MOBIL DELVAC Synthetic ATF which is Allison TES-295 approved and on their list as OK to use and was more readily available at the time I was ready to do my fluid and filter change.

How often do you change you Allison 3000 filters?  Can you change the filters without draining the fluid?

Jim

27 minutes ago, abyrd said:

How often do you change you Allison 3000 filters?  Can you change the filters without draining the fluid?

Jim

http://www.allisontransmission.com/parts-service/fluid-filter-calculator

And, yes, you can change filters and will loose a couple of quarts, not whole 19 qts (3000 oil and filter change quantity).

But, since the labor is virtually the same, not sure I would do it that way.

Brett.,

I have TranSynd fluid, thought it was good for extended mileage.  I purchased the rig 6 years ago with 29,000 miles, I now have 55,000 miles.  I have no record when the fluid or filter were last changed.

I tried the mileage calculator  but it didn't seem to apply to RV trips, you had to enter miles per day, hours per day and days per week to get a calculation.

Thanks for the response.

Jim

10 minutes ago, abyrd said:

Brett.,

I have no record when the fluid or filter were last changed.

Jim

Jim,

With that one (important) sentence, were it mine, I would change fluid and filters.  Least expensive is a "pail" of Transynd (5 gallons).  That will leave you one quart left over from changing a 3000 series transmission.  And then an Allison (not Chinese knockoff) filter pack.

Over the years, at least in the Houston metro, I have found that the Allison dealer (Stewart and Stevenson) is the least expensive.

Compared with the cost of a transmission, cost of new fluid and filters is noise level.

We don't have Stewart & Stevenson in the Pacific NW,  the closest Allison service is Western Star in Ridgefield, WA  their quote is $480,  it that in the ballpark?

Jim

On 10/12/2017 at 6:29 PM, abyrd said:

We don't have Stewart & Stevenson in the Pacific NW,  the closest Allison service is Western Star in Ridgefield, WA  their quote is $480,  it that in the ballpark?

Jim

I spent about $250 on 5 gallons of fluid and about $70 on the 2 filters - So about $320 to do it myself.  Most time consuming part was the gasket removal using plastic scrapers

instead of any metal to keep from marking up the aluminum covers that the filters attach to.  Drained into a big tray and then refilled the gallon bottles with the used fluid and took it to a recycle center. 

It's not too bad of a job and I cleaned everything real good so I could tell if there where any leaks - none found.

41 minutes ago, RedandSilver said:

I spent about $250 on 5 gallons of fluid and about $70 on the 2 filters - So about $320 to do it myself.  Most time consuming part was the gasket removal using plastic scrapers

instead of any metal to keep from marking up the aluminum covers that the filters attach to.  Drained into a big tray and then refilled the gallon bottles with the used fluid and took it to a recycle center. 

It's not too bad of a job and I cleaned everything real good so I could tell if there where any leaks - none found.

You are absolutely right. Never use metal scrapers on the aluminum  filter bases. Also use a good torque wrench on the bolts. Be very carful to not exceed the listed torque. 

Bill

On 10/14/2017 at 10:48 PM, manholt said:

Easy for you two!  I'll have mine taken care of by Cummins again.

You have more money then I (we) do as I can't afford to have anyone do it for me.

6 hours ago, manholt said:

RedandSilver.

Has nothing to do with my Bank account.  I cannot (due to physical complications) !   

Yeh, sounds like me. I don't bend the way I used to, haha.