Carmar122

Surgeguard Model# 40250

Hi gang, in my 2004 American tradition I have a TRC surgeguard #40250 out of calibration reading voltage 6 volts higher then actual voltage at pedestal.

This causes surgeguard to trip off because it thinks there is a high voltage situation. Doesn't happen all the time but a pain in the neck when it does. TRC says to confirm 120 volts at pedestal. then jump pin J8, connect shore power then disconnect jumper while still energized to shore power. This procedure is suppose to recalibrate surgeguard to read confirmed 120 volts. I have located pin J8 it's two small pins extending from circuit board.

Any members have experience doing this and if so can you offer any tips or tricks.  

Thanks,

Carl

2004 American tradition 40 w Spartan 

Carl, I have the same model on the tower at home, never had to do that to it. If you are not comfortable working around high voltage I would send it back to them.

Update, I successfully recalibrated surgeguard today. What I used is a single alligator clip the one clip would securely attach to both pins of J8 easily. When I connected to shore power in this configuration you do not get the signature clunk noise! What you get is both red lights come on then blink once then steady red lights. I then took a pair of insulated needle nose pliers and carefully removed alligator clip while still plugged into shore power. My remote display went from reading 124 to 118 volts which is the voltage at pedestal. Hope this helps out   Thanks Carl. 

Mine is on occasion doing the same thing....built in surge protector,  so not sure how to re-calibrate or even if it can be?

Carl

Note:  This could get confusing ! :lol:

I would suspect that J8 is an electronic voltage, low as -10v dc, or may even be a ground voltage. The manufacturer would not expect you to install a jumper if it were a lethal voltage there without instructions to use an insulated device and a huge warning. Good job Carl.

J 8 is actually two pins on circuit board. When recalibrating surgeguard the cover has to be removed and yes live voltage is present at contacts. It is something that should only be done with extreme care.