punxsyjumper

Convection/Microwave Ovens

We bought our 2011 Thor Astoria last year and got very few manuals.

I've went online to get one but it doesn't answer my question. We have never used it because we don't use microwaves for anything.

I was recently told that you can use the convection part without the microwaves. So for the past year, we have gone without an oven (cookies, cakes and pies).

So, does anybody know if I (Sweetie Pie) can we use the convection part without getting any microwaves on my food? It's a Whirlpool and after trying to get info from them for the past hour, I will never buy a Whirlpool product.

Thanks Guys. 

Yep, if its like the Sharp carousel we have in our coach its pretty simple. press Convec button, the display will ask for a desired temperature once you press that it will ask for time, enter the time and press start. Then you have to allow the heating elements to warm up, put your food in and restart it. I have made cookies, biscuits and cooked a Turkey breast in ours, I think it works better than the traditional RV gas ovens as it cooks evenly. You can tell its not microwaving, the temperature inside is very hot unlike when its being used as a microwave.

I understand about the fan circulating the air around for a better result but wanted to make sure it wasn't blowing around air heated from microwaves. It seems nobody at Whirlpool knows how their product works. Thanks

Hadn't thought about that.....call an appliance repair shop, I just figured it had heating elements in there like a conventional oven since it will brown food like a regular oven, unlike a microwave

Just found this:

It is a combination of a regular convection oven with a microwave, so you have both hot air and microwaves cooking your food. So the advantage is you get the quick interior heating of the microwaves combined with the surface browning from the hot air; convection just makes that hot air cooking faster and more even.

Yeh, I did see a few things on that line. That is what has me questioning it. They are a Conv/micro combo. From what I gather, you can use it as a micro to heat stuff up and you can also use them together. I did see some and I think mine is one of them, that has an option for convection only. I might try calling other appliance makers and see what I can get from them. Might call a few repair men too. I've talked to a ot of people that rave about how good the food is and I don't doubt that a bit. Was told by one guy that the best prime rib he ever had was cooked in a convection oven. Because of all the good food stories we've heard, we really want to use it. Not going to use it though if it uses even a little bit of the nuke.

15 minutes ago, Punxsyjumper said:

Yeh, I did see a few things on that line. That is what has me questioning it. They are a Conv/micro combo. From what I gather, you can use it as a micro to heat stuff up and you can also use them together. I did see some and I think mine is one of them, that has an option for convection only. I might try calling other appliance makers and see what I can get from them. Might call a few repair men too. I've talked to a ot of people that rave about how good the food is and I don't doubt that a bit. Was told by one guy that the best prime rib he ever had was cooked in a convection oven. Because of all the good food stories we've heard, we really want to use it. Not going to use it though if it uses even a little bit of the nuke.

Give me the make model and serial number. 

Bill

Agree with all said above. Don't know if "source" of heat is microwave or electric element but keep in mind that when on convection, you may use metal rack or pans, so perhaps not microwave. We use ours both ways, frequently in the course of the same meal. will bake in convection, then take out food and rack, then use the microwave to cook something else being careful to remember that the interior surface and the rack is still hot, unlike a mw only oven. we have baked cakes, pies, bread, pizza, scalloped potatoes, oven roasted veggies all using convection. 

2 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Give me the make model and serial number. 

Bill

Whirlpool  

model YGMH6185XVS-0    

serial    TR 0 44 11249

Yes, you can use only the convection side.  No microwaves.  This will be using settings like Bake, Roast or similar but you don't want to use anything that says mix or combo.  The wife does nothing with microwave and uses the convection side almost daily.

23 minutes ago, Punxsyjumper said:

Great news Bill, thanks. 

You can use the convection oven very easily. 

Here is the procedure. 

1) Select "preheat " then select the temperature you want to cook or bake at. Then press start.

2) When the desired temp. is reached the oven will beep. Place what you want to cook, press convection, again select the desired temp. Then enter desired cook time an press start. 

Hope this will get you hot biscuits and gravy. 

Herman 

Wonderful  as I too wondered about that More use a commin! The only thing I have to change it because ours does not have a carousel and I think that is important.

B

20 minutes ago, RSBILLEDWARDS said:

Wonderful  as I too wondered about that More use a commin! The only thing I have to change it because ours does not have a carousel and I think that is important.

B

Did it have one/is there a place for one as replacments are avalible.

Bill

No Bill it is a flat floor no turn Table The next year had a turntable. Coach only has just over 20K on it now . A shame to pitch it, actually might take it down to the shop so I can heat my lunch when I am here in the winter...no plans for that any where in the future.

B

If it didn't come with a turn table it will still work as it is designed that way.  Many of the older models were higher heating output and did not require a turntable to evenly distribute the heat.

it is my understanding that a "Half Time" oven cooks using both the microwave and convection therefore cutting the time in half for cooking.

A microwave/convection oven will use only one at a time. Using microwave the magnetron is engaged (think radar) and in the old days they used a TWT (Traveling Wave Tube). The first units that could be called "Radar Range"  the counter top "Radar Range" was first introduced by Amana. The microwave oven is dated back to the mid 1940's.

The convection oven has been around for a long time. It is just an oven with a heating element that forces air around the food with a fan.  I'm sure you have been in stores where they have a "Table Top" oven. It has a heating element top with a fan on it pointing into typically a glass container.  Food is place on racks in the container, the top is placed on and snapped down and when power is applied the heating element comes on and a fan forces the air evenly around the food. I purchased one of those in 1986 or abouts and used it at work. Put Chicken. steak, vegetables on the rack all at the same time, turn it on and come back 40-45 minutes later and everything was ready for a table of 4.

Metal utensils can be used in a convection oven but not in a microwave oven.

Our first "Radar Range was in 1980 and was an Amana.

Most of the combination unit have a button to turn the turn table on and off. We have found that when baking biscuits we leave the turn table on.  The biscuits cook nicely and evenly. 

Herman 

1 hour ago, Hermanmullins said:

The biscuits cook nicely and evenly. 

We meet up next year, you are making the Biscuits :lol:

Linda does the same for convenience, but will make from scratch if asked.  I like mine with "Lard"! :)

As for OP, unless you have a microwave oven big enough to be stuffed into and then turned on high...it's not going to affect you!  I would be more concerned about what's being emitted from the TV, Computer and all mobile phones!  You get zapped each day of your life outside and anytime you go thru security at the Airport, Ball Games, etc!  Microwaves has not bothered anyone that I know off, in or out off the Military....well, maybe some of the folks on this Forum.  Things do get a little Squirrely at times! :lol::wacko: That's why we have Brett...:P