dcannon123@gmail.com

Air Filter Life Expectancy

Yes, a real issue.

But, I am comfortable with 3 years from date of manufacture.

So, replace air filter either based on air filter minder (restriction) OR age.

Compared with the price of a "dusted" engine, air filters are really cheap.

As cheap as the air filter is compared to rebuilding your engine, change it along with your oil, oil filter and fuel filter, at manufactures requirements or once a year.

Larry Nelson 

I'm with Brett.  3 years from manufacture date or 2 years if dirty...caveat would be if you drive in really dusty conditions, then as needed.  After a trip to the Mexican side of the Sonora Desert, I got a new one installed to be safe, even thought it was 4 months and 6,000 miles old !  Paranoid?  I can be! My current filter will be 3 years old in November. 

I guess I should look at mine only 20K but 18 years old and absurdly expensive with no cross over to a Wix Gold. When I do change it ( I will look today)  I will retro fit a Wix that I can buy during the annual NAPA Wix Gold filter sale at 50% of retail.

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 10:10 AM, RSBILLEDWARDS said:

I guess I should look at mine only 20K but 18 years old and absurdly expensive with no cross over to a Wix Gold. When I do change it ( I will look today)  I will retro fit a Wix that I can buy during the annual NAPA Wix Gold filter sale at 50% of retail.

Mine also, its $180.00 for a new one. I change it every other year regardless of mileage. Replaced the filter minder this year, kept sucking closed even with a new filter, just worn out.

34 minutes ago, manholt said:

Wonder what the cost of a re built 425 CAT or 400 ISL is? :ph34r:  Bet it's more than $180.00 ! :lol:

OH YEA!! That's also the reason I only run Fleetgard filters, the aftermarket are slightly less $$ also slightly different spec, just not worth the risk!

What ever you do don't use a K&N filter or any of that type. Yes they claim to flow more air but they also allow more dirt in than Cummins or Cat allow. The stock filters flow more air than your engine can use. 

There are some who like Filter barn, https://www.filterbarn.com/

The only negative is one un supported claim that the person got a filter that was over 2 years old. 

I bought my last filter from the local Freightliner store. 

Since I did the field testing for K&N prior to its release and they monitored my oil using Blackstone Labs on a regular basis, the filter worked as it was supposed to.  I changed coaches the past spring and installed a new K&N ail filter on it.

Bruce,

Does K&N have different filters?

In other words, was the filter you tested THE K&N filter, or do they have several types?

Link to the one you tested?

They make several models, mine is the one that flows in one end and out the other.  As far as I know the element is the same or same media with the housing different.  The one I tested was a prototype and then I ran with a production model.  My new to me coach has the same production model.  I don't have the model number on hand with me.

I use and have used K&N in quite a few vehicles, atvs and tractors. I keep a good eye on them and keep them oiled, when the gauge shows above normal range or they look really dirty, I replace them. With the exception of the atv's, I will not wash or clean them,  It is not worth damaging it with a hole you my not catch.

Gary

Well I wonder if the K&N filters are as good as some think, why hasn't K&N run them on a ISO 5011certified test bead and publish the results? Why because the K&N filters let to much dirt past the filter. If you do a little research you will see the stock filter flows more air than your engine can use at WOT. So where is the benefit?

Bill

Benefit?  Low cost, but to me it equals taking a high risk...I suspect that if "your coach is chosen to test a prototype", your making $$$ and your engine is covered 100%!  Mine would be and then some!!! 

Bill, the only benefit is overall cost. You pay more up front and wash and re-oil after, that is where the savings come in. You will not see a power increase with one despite their advertising. The engine can only handle so much air and the stock filter is more than adequate for that on a large diesel application. I have seem a few dusted engines because of their filters, now was it not oiled properly or just allowing too much dirt in, who knows.....The risk doesn't out weigh the benefit...wait there is no benefit other than cost over time.

The only time I have ever heard of a vehicle performing better is when the air box is undersized from the manufacture, but changing the filter alone isn't going to help in that situation. Most modern engines have mass air flow sensors on them which will only allow so much in based off of software, even with no filter it doesn't matter. In summary unless its a heavily modified race engine that can take more air and is overhauled frequently its not worth the upfront cost and risk.

Well I finally looked and there was a Carquest in the container, Who knows when that was changed but using that number I have a conversion to WIX. Current retail is 90 bucks and on the WIX sale $45 great...best I could do on the 3126 B CAT was $90 on sale.

The condition was time to replace, not bad but ready to be replaced.

15 minutes ago, RSBILLEDWARDS said:

Well I finally looked and there was a Carquest in the container, Who knows when that was changed but using that number I have a conversion to WIX. Current retail is 90 bucks and on the WIX sale $45 great...best I could do on the 3126 B CAT was $90 on sale.

The condition was time to replace, not bad but ready to be replaced.

Glad you can remove yours from the housing. Mine is all one piece.

The replacement K&N you have to cut the element out of this housing :o

IMG_3955.JPG

11 minutes ago, KURTDEN said:

Does any one have any input on a Donaldson filter pros/cons compare to a Fleetguard. Thanks Kurt   

Both are good quality filters, as are Wix and NAPA Gold (made by Wix)

Thanks Brett, I need to get a new one ordered now, I didn't realize it needs to be replaced that often. Mine is twice what you said your comfortable with. Ryder Fleet has good prices on Fleetguard filters.