Sign in to follow this  
tbutler

HWH leveling system with air bags

We have a 2004 Monaco Windsor. Our leveling system uses the suspension air bags for all leveling. The controller is an HWH system. Automatic leveling works fine and the coach is quickly leveled after bleeding off all the air in the bags after travel. As temperature varies the bags with more air will rise more than bags with less air. As a result, the coach will become out of level. The HWH system monitors this and periodically makes corrections. What we notice is that the leveling system will go on occasional periods of inflating and deflating the air bags. It seems to over-inflate and then dump at the next check. Sometimes it will dump and then immediately inflate again. At other times we go days with no noticeable adjustment. I haven't had anyone complain to us yet but the exhausting process when dumping air from the bags is a very noisy hissing. I would hate to be parked next to us trying to sleep when the air is dumped from the system.

Is there a way to stop or reduce this cycling from inflating to deflating and the accompanying noise. If this is normal for the system, is there a way to muffle the exhausting air? Even if there were a temporary way to do this, it could be workable for long term parking. It is our long term neighbors that I worry most about. I welcome all ideas.

We have a 2002 Windsor and haven't had this problem, but if you turn the system off after it is leveled you won't have this problem. The only thing is you may have to re-adjust the leveling manualy. John

Thanks for the information and suggestion. That your system doesn't do this is definitely indicates ours is a little too touchy. I may have to make a stop at the HWH factory in the near future to have them look at our installation.

I guess I could shut the system off after leveling. It wouldn't hurt to try and find out just how inconvenient it is to keep it reasonably level. Maybe it would stay level enough that the automatic mode wouldn't be missed.

I agree with rainhater - also, I don't like to drive in rain, either. :D

My Country Coach has the airbag leveling system, and I also turn it off after it says all is level. The control panel is right in the center of the front console, so the little red VERY BRIGHT LED is a constant reminder it is powered up.

You might try this: After I get in position and start leveling, first I dump all air out of the system. I am in West Texas, and the wind blows me around on the air bags, so I want to be as low as possible - seems there is less motion. After exhausting the system then I punch the auto leveling control twice, and it does "the automatic leveling" thing. So, instead of letting the air out on the high side, resulting in a higer final position, it lifts the low side. My rationalle is that final "level" altitude is less. I have never measured it, so the above is pure conjecture, but it works for me.

Occasionally I will notice that the water in the shower is not going to the drain completely, or where I sit in my lounger if I have a level reference outside, I can see it sagging. Then I turn the system on and have it relevel. That is a very rare occourance, probably two weeks or so between leveling adjutments. I used to live on a very tender sailboat, so a little "out of kilter" living does not bother me. When the wind (usually 35-40+ MPH) is blowing I get a little reminder of how I used to live. The airbag system works well, but very occasionally I wish I had the jacks.

The slides are first concern about being level, and they are only activated when I warm the engine and level before I move, or just after I level when I park, so they are not an issue. The refrigerator (that is usually on gas, because I boondock most of the time) does not seem to care, so I must be within tolerance with that.

Your system may need to be adjusted, or more probably, you may have an air leak somewhere in the system. A pleasant afternoon crawling around under the coach with soapy water may be instructive. Wear old clothes. :rolleyes: DO NOT leave the coach running, because if you are under there when the air pressure pop off valve lets go, you will hurt yourself jumping around. :) Toward that end, I find that if I raise the coach as far as possible with the air bags, then turn the key off, it will stay raised for a while. Since you may have a leak, you do not want it to settle down on you, so keep moving. ;)

YMMV

:) I also have a 40ft bagged CC Magna.. I do not like using the auto leveling button.. it takes for ever..

I dump air as I need to, that way the pump is not running, If you read the manual it states that it might take hours for it to level..

I get it level on the way down and then shut off the system by just touching the off button.. I hope this helps.. Rz' Ps. I also level after my slides are out.. :rolleyes:

Thanks to everyone for their responses. Some good suggestions here. I have no problem with the automatic leveling system. I dump air completely and then let the auto level bring us up to level. Unless we have a very uneven site it will reach level in a couple of minutes at most. I prefer to dump completely as it lowers the coach to its lowest position. That makes the door step as close to the ground as possible. Louise (5'3") likes that!

If the system is turned off temperature changes will cause the coach to come off level as the sun shines on one side of the coach or the other. I have tried turning off the auto leveling and it will over a matter of weeks become out of level enough to cause doors to swing. There may be a very small leak at work but this would not cause the problem we have had. I could periodically level again and may end up doing this. The system is not consistent. If it behaved this way every time we parked, I could anticipate the problem and act accordingly. Where we are now, we have been on auto for three weeks and I have very seldom noticed any adjustment of the system. Everything seems to be working fine. The next place we stop it may adjust five or six times during the night.

It hasn't been a problem lately so I'm watching it for now.