Just had the RV water systems winterized at a repair shop, and the liquid in the system is blue, rather than the pink I'm used to seeing.  Is this the new standard for protection to minus 100 degree Fahrenheit, rather than the usual minus 50 listed on pink antifreeze?  They both appear to be non-toxic, GRAS (Generally Regarded As Safe) for human consumption.  Has anyone else encountered this?  I see both pink and blue used for the -100F anti-freeze.  (Starbrite is one brand name.)  Thanks for any advice.  Yes, I will call them to ask.

Welcome!

Have no idea where you live, but I can't even relate to -50F....Siberia get's there occasionally! :blink::wacko:  -100F is overkill, what's the price difference if any?  Color should not make a difference as long as it's not glycol.

That  -50f is burst protection so almost solid but not breaking anything 

If the blue is washer antifreeze you need to do a really good flush 

Ask for info on the blue stuff they used 

Just looked they do make blue RV antifreeze 

Edited by bm02tj
add to

I haven't winterized my water system in 10 years. (Heated bays) However when I did I never used the pink RV anti-freeze in the water lines or water tank. I would drain the system as best I could, water heater included. I would then blow out the system with compressed air one faucet, both cold/hot, at a time. I would put some of the pink A/F in both holding tanks and in the "P" Traps and toilet bowl.

Herman 

I drain everything, put pink stuff in the P traps, and two trouble lights in everything likely to freeze.

Be careful if you have Aqua Hot, blowing air through one will not remove all water (I actually read this in the manual :o). I use the pink RV antifreeze, just cheap insurance if you live in a climate that drops below freezing.

One of the only manuals I have read front to back, didn't retain much but I remember that part :lol: