tireman9

Black Tire Shade Can Be OK

Can black tire “covers” be used without causing damage?
I have done tests over the years comparing the temperatures of tires shielded from the sun with white vinyl covers versus no covers versus (in a rough check) black plastic. I have observed (at Redmond and other conventions) some Class A RVs with what appears to be a mesh shield that hangs down off the side of the RV, as opposed to the vinyl “bag” that hangs directly over the outside of tires. This summer after the Indianapolis Convention I was given the opportunity to test a black mesh Tire Shade from ShadePro, Inc. You can read the test results on my blog HERE

Roger Hunckler, the owner of Magna Shade, has also done extensive testing and states black windshield and tire covers are the best.  I had five of his window shades on a previous coach and have tire shades on this coach.

http://www.magneshade.com/

I have the Magne Shade tire covers for my coach.  Love them.  Easier to install than the others I've used...and they look better, too.  Fair warning:  they're not cheap.

Some of you I suspect might have fun with this one.

I suggest and propose that you make your own. Last winter while in the High Jolly camp ground I fabricated some side window and front window shades that snap on. They fit fine and looked good but the Magne Shade I will admit look even better and I suspect require much less effort to install. After discovering the Magne Shade I am now revising what I did. Ah yes a little more time to be spent perfecting a good thing.  The Solar Screen I used was 90% blockage was purchased from Quality Window Screen.com. with numerous colors to choose from. The binding was a vinyl colored to match the screen color of tan, a nice match to our coach and bought from another supplier.

I have purchased 10 N45 Rare Earth 1 1/4 by 3/8 thick magnets for the outside through Amazon. I will have to trim the original screens to fit the windshield a bit tighter as they extend beyond to accommodate the snaps which will also need to be eliminated. These magnets are to be sewn into pockets on the back side of the screen.  Not cheap $10+ each. They really have incredible holding power. Using one of these on each side of the glass is overkill by a lot. So I am going to try a 1 1/4 by 1/8 on the inside retained with  3M sticky automotive molding tape. Yes I will make a test panel.

I can tell you the larger magnets, do not get them close to each other, period. They are a real bugger to separate and you will not separate them with your fingers. Just ask me how I know. That said spacing will be important. I am going to use 4 magnets across the top. I know from pictures that Magne Shade appears to use more magnets so maybe they are not as strong and maybe a good idea. 

I used a vintage Mini-Singer sewing machine, built in the 1950's and powered it with the use of the solar I have installed on the coach via the inverter though not much of a power draw. So the solar screen and binding did not present much resistance to this little old jewel. The only awkward thing was the bulk of the material on a small table un-like what Kay and I have at home in our shops. If this is successful I will revisit all the screens I made out there in the warm winter Arizona sun.

I made a set of tire shades tan too and am seriously going to look at using magnets to retain them as well. I see no reason that they can not be glassed in to the fiberglass fender wells and be a permanent fixture. Glassed in they will be protected and out of the environment. What's more I could use the bar style and have more linear surface to attach to.

More to come

McGuyver:ph34r:

I am going to Port Charlotte RV after the holidays and ask them about screen tire covers.  I have heard they will custom fabricate them for DP coaches.  I would love to have a set made using magnets instead of snaps.  Let us know how your project goes!

Joe,

Is the side of the MH near the wheels a property that will attract a magnet.

Mine is fiberglass and the magnets don't stick very well.

I have a 9 year old set of Magna Shade black mesh. They are put on with suction cups attached to the shade.  They hold up fairly well in normal winds but a good gust above 30 mph may dislodge a suction cup or two.  At 45 mph coming at an angle one blew off but under normal circumstances they worked well.

I may get a set of their newer ones for the newer MH we have.

Roger at MagnaShade is great to work with.