f424363

Electrical Tech In Houston TX For Class A

Looking for a shop that deals with electrical issues. In a class A RV. Not feeling comfortable with the Thor authorized dealer in Houston.

Seems like all they want to do is hook up to computer and ask it what is wrong they don't seem to have knowledge or old fashioned experience. So tired of spending time and money on trial and error ideas that I have found in forums and  u tube.

I am not able to take coach anywhere that I can't plug into power.  Sometimes battery stays charged for a couple days with no problem and other times it is dead in two hours with nothing running and many times not enough power in auxiliary start to start it.  

We have ordered  a new solenoid but not sure if the authorized Thor mechanic ordered the right one as he did not know what kind it was and he is the guy they want me to trust to put it back on the RV.  Kind of has me worried.  Not the first time we have taken it there for same issue and it's still not fixed.

If you have someone in the Houston area you trust and have good luck with let us know.

I would suggest you take a little time and educate yourself on RV electrical systems by reading these two links:

http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm

The 12volt Side of Life Part Solar & Inverters

Reading the above will not make you an expert, buy may help you understand how things work and help make decisions about repairs and if the repair folks are making sense.

If you are just a little bit handy, go buy a volt meter at Walmart or Home Depot for under $20 and check the voltage at your batteries, using the above links for what you should be seeing. 

Also armed with the battery readings you could come back to this forum and ask for assistance. 

BTW, if your batteries are original they are about 8 years old and may not hold a charge very well. 

You stated that sometimes your batteries are dead in two hours.  What did you use to determine that the batteries were fully charged at the start of the two hour time period.  It takes a pretty significant load to kill a good battery system, which is fully charged, in 2 hours. 

OK, sorry, I found your other topic about your problems.

Try calling a mobile RV tech.  A good one will be willing to talk to you about what they are doing and explain what they find as the problem.   If you are in a RV Park see if others there have had a good experience with one. 

Usually taking to a shop for a problem like this you get to talk to the service writer who doesn't always understand the details of the problem.  Then the tech gets involved and tries to trouble shoot not knowing for sure what the customer reported the problem to be.  So the tech works on the problem, the chassis battery goes dead.  Checks what they should and finds "something" not right and fixes that and sends you on your way.   Or many doesn't find anything really wrong and replaces something to see if that fixes it. 

Intermittent problems are difficult to fix.  

F42....

We haven't heard if you electrical problems have been resolved.  If you do need a repair shop, I've had very good service from RV Masters located on Bingle Road north of I-10 on the west side of Houston.   My one and only experience was not good with Camping World in Katy was "bad" when I needed repair work done for a travel trailer I owned a few years ago -- six weeks to get a simple repair done as my travel trailer kept falling in priority to installations of items purchased at Camping World / repairing RVs purchased at Camping World.