piperfrank1

Recommendation For State To Title A New Country Coach

Piperfrank1.  Welcome to the Forum!

New CC?  Last one off the line was a 2010 built in 2009....not aware of a 2017 or 18, unless it's by Winnebago!

Other than that, I agree with Herman!

To answer the OP's questions.

1.  Title it in the state you claim as your domicile, you know, where you file your tax return, etc. 

2.  As far as insurance, I would suggest you do your due diligence and purchase the policy that makes most sense and cents to you. 

Winnebago owns CC property rights.  They have not produced a CC to date and there aren't current plans to do so (made public, anyway).  There has been ONE Country Coach produced since the 2010 and that was a 2017 special production for the then owner of Country Coach.  

CarlAda.  Your correct and I think it was an Allure, the only thing I don' remember (It was in FMCA magazine) is the year...I want to say 2015, before WB bought the rights!  Also, feel that it was For Sale! 

22 hours ago, Piperfrank1 said:

Which state should I title my new Country Coach?  Best insurance, as well as property tax?

Are you talking about a new to you CC?  Where do you live? I favor Texas.:)

Bill

Piperfrank1.

I take it your not going full time, so I suspect your making a property move as well as your new coach(it really does not matter what coach you have).

Lowest property tax State that I know.  Is LA.,  Insurance....I have Progressive now, have had All State, they cost about the same and pay quickly!  Title is bad in Texas, it's by the weight of the coach.  Mine is $811 per year! 

Unfortunately, I have found no place that all 3 gel.  I think Montana is the closest to perfect you can get for all 3 questions. 

I am titled in Montana under an LLC. Older coaches, a great deal, one time permanent registration, no sales tax or other annual fees. Yearly fee to maintenance the LLC still way less than where we live. Insurance is through Miller insurance, advertises in FMCA and was a player at FMCA rally in Chandler, very good. Happy all the way around

Bill E.  We have been down the LLC before this and it depends on where you travel the most.  East Coast seem to be the most problematic, in regards to being stopped, for not stopping at the weight stations, as a Commercial vehicle & the fine can run into the thousands! 

The Law is not Stupid.  There are 1million people living in Montana, as of 2016....The Lawmen of the other States are not going to believe that 7-10% of the population of Montana has Motorhomes!  It worked 15/20 years ago, but I think now, it has started to reach the Saturation point.  Lawmen also have RV's today & get the same advertisement we do!

I don't like paying $800 a year, but I adopted Texas!  :)

I believe Carl is pointing out that rules for RV's registered as COMMERCIAL VEHICLES (registered to LLC) are different than for those registered to individuals.

This brings up a question about RV registered as Commercial Vehicles.

If you have your coach Reg. as a C/V do you need a CDL to drive legally?

Do you have to comply with all of the driving regulations such as maximum hour driving per 24 hour period, Log books, Weight Stations and so on?  

Herman

2 hours ago, RSBILLEDWARDS said:

In the East are coaches required to stop at weigh stations?

Not unless they are commercial. 

Like Herman said, you will be in deep dodo if you are caught being licensed as commercial and not following ALL the requirements. 

Bill

5 hours ago, Hermanmullins said:

This brings up a question about RV registered as Commercial Vehicles.

If you have your coach Reg. as a C/V do you need a CDL to drive legally?

Do you have to comply with all of the driving regulations such as maximum hour driving per 24 hour period, Log books, Weight Stations and so on?  

Herman

If you are driving a Commercial Vehicle (LLC) then you MUST have a Commercial Drivers License and meet all Federal driving regulations.

That is why they have fines! :P 

If there is a spot check station set up, for any reason...I'm OK and on my way.  Had a bunch in and around Houston, TX. a couple of years ago and all traffic was pulled in, including me on 3 occasions.  They where checking tires, license plates and inspection stickers...with me, they asked to see my DL with A or B endorsement.  I have a B and a MC.  Good to go! :)

Great discussion.  I've learned something.  I didn't know that Country Coach was history.  I have enough trouble keeping up with Monaco.  So who is on first?  Yes...

You must be very careful as to where you live, where the coach is tagged, what state your DL says on it and how often and how long you travel out of state.  My state got smart and noticed lots of RVs that were always in the area, but had Montana tags.  Long story short, those drivers that lived here but had Montana tags paid huge fines, all the back taxes that they had avoided and interest on the taxes they paid that were "late."