Jmholb57

Tandem Dolly

Was wanting to haul my Harley Davidson that weights 720 lbs and also a 3000 lbs car. The trailer is 740 lbs. Under my 5000 towing limit. The trailer manufacturer recommends a class 4 hitch. Jayco says my class 3 hitch is the largest hitch that should be on the RV.  

Also wanted to use a motorcycle lift and then flat tow the car, but again,  would need a heavier hitch and the the total weight of bike and lift, 1000 lbs would be weight on the RV. Ready to give up on having my bike and car and choosing one or the other.

Don't really want to have the tandem trailer to deal with.  Big decision  because a fulltimer. Thanks for any advise. 

Welcome Jmholb57, I don't know what your coach is, but we were facing some of the same issues.  My Thor Challenger has a hitch rated for 5,000 pound towing and a tongue limit of 500 pounds.  Our Mini Cooper weighs less than 2,900 pounds and my Harley Trike about 1,200 loaded.  The problem for me going with an extended tow dolly would have been tongue weight, or if going with a trailer long enough to accommodate both I would have went over total weight.  If you could find an all aluminum trailer weighing less than 1100 or 1200 pounds you might be good to go, but that may be the only way.

We will be officially starting our second full timing adventure around November 14th or so.  We will be changing coaches and getting a used DP that can tow up to 10,000 pounds and then getting a 24' enclosed for both vehicles.  I'm not wild about my new length but we want the car and Trike with us always.  I considered a toy hauler MH but you loose some livability and/or storage IMHO.  

I'm sure some others will chime in with  possibilities.  Good luck with your decision. 

You may want to consider a tandem tow dolly instead of a trailer, there are several companies that offer them, some are expensive and some not so bad. Just Google tandem tow dolly, you might find something that will work for you. I use one that I modified to take care of my needs.

53 minutes ago, RSBILLEDWARDS said:

Now I like that pretty cool! First dolly I have seen that I would consider.

Just what you need, another trailer :lol: