Jmholb57

Jeep Wrangled or Patriot/Compass

New to fulltime rv ing.

Looking to purchase either a Jeep Wrangle or a Patriot/Compass to flat tow. Have 5000 lb limit and 500 tongue weight.

Prefer the unlimited Wrangled but has a 4600 lb curb weight and the limited is 4100 lb.

Would it be better to choose the lighter Patriot or Compass which are in the 3200  curb weight range? 

Thank you! 

Jmholb --

My motorhome also has a 5,000 lb towing weight limit.  I purchased a 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Saraha with reported curb weights in the range of 4,075 lbs (FMCA 2016 Towing Guide)to 4,270 lbs (Kelly Blue Book).     The towing "rule of thumb" I learned from good mechanics is whatever is being towed should not exceed 90% of the vehicle's tow rating to assure no transmission problems.   Which ever curb weight for a Wrangler Unlimited is "true", the curb weight is within the 90% limit of tow rating of my motorhome.  I've had zero problems towing my Wrangler and wouldn't know it's behind me if not for the rear view camera.

The Wrangler is a nice size vehicle to serve as a "toad" and is also a great everyday vehicle.  When the rear seats are folded down, it has a surprising amount of cargo capacity.  The ride is a bit stiff for everyday use but is still fun to drive and is just small enough to maneuver into any parking space.  A Wrangler, of course, is fantastic  fun for off-road use!

If there is 2 off you, get a Jeep Wrangler, If you plan on hauling more than 2, buy for the crowd not you!  To me, a toad is for Linda and I and our life style....not yours!  My coach can entertain 8 comfortably, feed 6 and sleep 2...you want to stay the night?  Bring your own RV!  Sorry, but I don't Sugar Coat anything!!!

7 hours ago, fagnaml said:

....The towing "rule of thumb" I learned from good mechanics is whatever is being towed should not exceed 90% of the vehicle's tow rating to assure no transmission problems...

If your DP has an Allison 3000, that old wives tale does not apply.  The Allison 3000 and 4000 have no tow weight limits.  They are limited by HP and torque only.

OP has a Ford powered gasser, tranny is not going to be an Allison 3000 or 4000! Only Manual transmission Patriot or Compass can be towed 4 down. If you really want a Jeep, do the Wrangler.

23 hours ago, manholt said:

FIVE, you forgot about chassis as being a limitation on tow weight limits! :o

Didn't mention the chassis on purpose... fagnaml mentioned the trans specifically...so that's what I did.

FIVE.  Really confused.  It's not fagnami's OP...that belongs to Jmholb57.  Gas Jayco does not have a Allison, 3k or 4k, it's a Ford chassis.

No reason for confusion....Jmholb57 is the OP, but fagnami made the post about the transmission to which I was commenting.  However, I read the initial post where there was no mention of chassis...missed where it was mentioned in the third post.  So am I now in the time out chair with you??:D

I stand corrected on my comment about protecting an Allison transmission (my inexperience with a diesel engine / transmission compared to my Silverado showed again!).   To assure I understand properly, the weight of a tow vehicle is not a concern for my Allison 2500 transmission -- correct?   The 5,000 lbs max tow weight rating for my motorhome is set to assure I don't exceed the 33,000 lbs GCWR for my motorhome = 28,000lbs GVWR for my motorhome + 5,000 lbs. max tow rating -- correct?   Plus the receiver on my motorhome "per its sticker" is only rated to 5,000 lbs. max.

After two years of motorhome ownership I'm still only part way through Motorhome 101 class so please forgive me for any dumb questions I ask or statements I make.  I still think 90% of max tow rating is a good "rule of thumb" to follow.

We tow a 4 door Wrangler behind us now, seats 5 comfortably, nice to drive (DW's daily driver). Plenty of room in the back for stuff you might want to purchase. This is one of many Jeeps we have had over they years, the last 4 door we had was an 09, I towed it with our Class C with a V10 it weighed 1800 over my max towing capacity, when we traded down to a 2 door Wrangler (a little over 1000lbs less)It didn't feel any different to me behind the RV. 

Get a high quality tow bar and a Proportional breaking system and enjoy it. I wouldn't look toward a Patriot or Compass due to the weight difference.

On 10/20/2017 at 0:15 PM, fagnaml said:

Jmholb --

My motorhome also has a 5,000 lb towing weight limit.  I purchased a 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Saraha with reported curb weights in the range of 4,075 lbs (FMCA 2016 Towing Guide)to 4,270 lbs (Kelly Blue Book).     The towing "rule of thumb" I learned from good mechanics is whatever is being towed should not exceed 90% of the vehicle's tow rating to assure no transmission problems.   Which ever curb weight for a Wrangler Unlimited is "true", the curb weight is within the 90% limit of tow rating of my motorhome.  I've had zero problems towing my Wrangler and wouldn't know it's behind me if not for the rear view camera.

The Wrangler is a nice size vehicle to serve as a "toad" and is also a great everyday vehicle.  When the rear seats are folded down, it has a surprising amount of cargo capacity.  The ride is a bit stiff for everyday use but is still fun to drive and is just small enough to maneuver into any parking space.  A Wrangler, of course, is fantastic  fun for off-road use!

Unless you edited the post, I fail to see anything about an Allison Tranny, and would concur that the 90% rule is a good rule for this reason as well as for the fact that you should never exceed the vehicles tow rating. As stated in my above post the Wrangler would be my preference due to resell ability over Compass or Patriot, there is a reason for this fact, the Wrangler is a far superior machine compared to the other two. I currently own a Ford L7000 dump truck with an Allison tranny and a Cat 3206, that combo doesn't seem to know there is a limitation, but I still never exceed gross ratings.