On 10/18/2017 at 9:34 PM, RTinVa said:

Although a 2017 model, it may be that the inverter is not providing the power necessary when the engine is running.  I will call Thor and see what recommendations they have. 

From your information - it sounds like the inverter is not running. When you get time, check the remote panel and set the menu on inverter, is it in the disabled mode. using the arrow keys put the inverter in the enabled mode. In a few seconds it should start providing 120 volts. 

What is the make and model number is installed in the coach.

Rich.

Rich, 

Have you tried to reset the E05 error code by de-energizing the 12 V DC supply to the inverted and after a few seconds re-en3rgize it.

Jim

No outside hatch to access fridge plug.  We are home now so tomorrow I will see what I can find.  I will check all the grounds.  The inverter works when on shore power and generator.  I can hear it running and it the power panel shows green.  Brett, Previous to this last trip when I start the engine and turn the power inverter switch on it would power the fridge as I traveled down the road.  It was only when I went to start this last trip last week that I experienced any problems.  

You should not need the inverter when the generator is running or when you are on shore power.

Jim

The 35SD has 2 6 volts batteries that are inline for the +12 volts.  They have been checked and are fine.  The refrigerator is a residential Whirlpool fridge.  I did find the rear A/C unit turned on and thought I had found the issue of overload but when I turned it off it made no difference.  I put a call into Thor and left my name and number but did not get a return call.  I will try them again tomorrow.  I also checked the ground fault plug in the bathroom which works fine.  I crawled under the RV and checked the visible wires of which one was the ground for the inverter which is tight.  Still looking and I will let you know if I find out what the cause it.  This RV only has 6k miles and everything else is working without any issues.  Thank you all again for your recommendations and assistance.

Rich, Looked at the Coach specifications and they list a power Converter, but no inverter is listed.

Converter's change 120 volts to 12 volts DC.

Inverter's change 12 volts to 120 volts AC.

also listed are the batteries-! 12 volt chassis battery and 2 6 volt batteries in series to supply 12 volts.

Rich M.

Battery Power Converter

Yes

Link to specs I found     https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2017-thor-motor-coach-four-winds-super-c-class-c-floorplan-35sd-tr30811

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 10:59 PM, WILDEBILL308 said:

Yes there must be something else on that circuit. Un plug the refrigerator and check the outlet for power. 

Bill

Looks like I am going to pull the fridge unless Thor has a better suggestion.  There is a converter in the coach and also an inverter.  If I pull the shore power and leave the engine off, turn on the inverter at the small (pictured) panel and scroll with the select button before it goes into alarm (Code E05), the output and input levels are indicating 0.00.  I can hear the converter kick on when I plug into shore power.  It is located in another basement area in the rear.  Then the fridge works.  If I disconnect the shore power and start the gen the fridge works.  As indicated earlier in my posts previous trips I would start the engine and then hit the green button to "start" the inverter and the fridge would be on as I travel down the road.  If I recall correctly I was told when I bought the unit that the coach had the battery capacity to run the fridge for 2 days without shore power.  

I cannot thank you all enough for your help.  Can't wait to get to the bottom of this problem.  How I hate electrical issues.  Usually it is something simple that I miss.  Hoping this is a simple fix.

The problem does look like a problem with the inverter. When on shore power or generator it just passes the 110 power through so your refrigerator will work but it doesn't seem to work when 110 power isn't available. I don't think you need to pull the refrigerator out. as you are getting power when 110 is available from other sources.

I would go back and read Rich's post and get your documentation out and see if there is a reset button or fuse on the inverter. 

Bill

RT,  Are there other circuits that the inverter powers? I'm thinking the TV and a circuit outlet near the dinning table and or the kitchen counter. 

Second is there a second 120 volt power panel (sub-panel) that is powered from the inverter? 

XM-1800 operation 

Turning the Inverter On and Off The on/off button on the remote panel turns the XM 1800 on and off. When the XM 1800 is on and shore power is present, the incoming shore power is passed to the output to power appliances connected to the XM 1800, and the inverter draws minimal power from the battery. The status LED glows green. If the shore power goes away, the transfer switch automatically transfers the appliances to inverter power. The status LED glows yellow to indicate the XM 1800 is using the battery to power the appliances.

When the XM 1800 is turned off, the inverter is disabled. Incoming shore power is passed to the output to power appliances. If the shore power goes away, the appliances do not transfer to inverter power.

Inverter Loads The XM 1800 will operate most AC loads within its power rating of 1000 watts (XM 1000) or 1800 watts (XM 1800). However, some appliances and equipment may be difficult to operate, and other appliances may actually be damaged if you try to operate them with the XM 1800.

Please read “High Surge Loads” and “Trouble Loads” carefully.

Overload Conditions When the XM 1800 senses that the output load is above its output limit (or senses a short circuit at the output), it will shut down. The alarm beeps once a second, and the display shows fault code E05 alternating with “OL”.

High Surge Loads Some induction motors used in freezers, pumps, and other motor-operated equipment require high surge currents to start. The XM 1800 may not be able to start some of these motors even though their rated current draw is within the inverter’s limits.

Rich M.

Link to owner / operation manual.

http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Power-Inverters/PRO-Series-Inverters/975-0263-01-01_Rev-C(artwork) (1).pdf

I agree, since refrigerator works fine on shore power or generator, the refrigerator would NOT be my first suspect, so do not start by trying to pull it. 

Said another way, from the "out" side of the inverter to the refrigerator is exactly the same on shore, generator and inverter. 

To troubleshoot this situation, I would turn every 120 volt breaker off except the main breaker, then turn the inverter on, remove shore power and leave the generator off. If the inverter comes on and appears normal, then start turning each breaker back on one at a time until the E05 reappears. When this happens, you have isolated which breaker has been added to get the inverter into this condition. Remember that it may be a combination or two breakers that has caused this condition, meaning that you will need to decide which combination is the culprit. After isolating down to this condition you should be able to isolate what in the system is actually causing the problem. If the inverter shows the same E05 condition with only the main breaker on, then suspect that there is a problem with the inverter itself. 1800 watts is only 15 amps at 120 volts, so if anything else is running at the time the fridge tries to kick in, it could easily cause this condition with the inverter.

23 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

The problem does look like a problem with the inverter. When on shore power or generator it just passes the 110 power through so your refrigerator will work but it doesn't seem to work when 110 power isn't available. I don't think you need to pull the refrigerator out. as you are getting power when 110 is available from other sources.

I would go back and read Rich's post and get your documentation out and see if there is a reset button or fuse on the inverter. 

Bill

I will look for a fuse on the inverter.  There is what appears to be a reset button but I will check for a fuse as well.

Ok, the latest is that I spoke to the manufacturer of the inverter.  I did try a force reset by disconnecting the batteries, wait 30 minutes and hook the battery power back up.  Unfortunately this did not fix the problem.  After speaking with the manufacturer it appears that the circuitry is bad in the inverter.  I have received additional information that the inverter has a 2 year warranty however the site states 1 year.  I am considering sending the inverter to the manufacturer for repair.  I believe this would be the best solution.  Now if I can figure out how to remove the front of the inverter to disconnect the cables.  The rear cables are easily removed.  Thank you all for your help!