Batsome

Golf Cart 6 Volt Battery

I am in need of replacing my two 6 volt house batteries and would like to get some that are good for boon docking for extended periods.  I have two 80 watt solar panels mounted on my unit.  Any suggestions?

Battery choices range from Sams/Cosco golf cart batteries all the way to Lifeline AGM's.  Price and performance are quite different.

One of the big advantages of AGM's is that they can take a charge a lot faster than wet cells due to lower internal resistance. That means lower generator run time and, particularly if you have a multi-stage charger, bulk mode will not overheat them.

I tried the Costco 6 volt Interstate and one failed in less than 3 years of use.  I was advised they are only entry level batteries and have very low Amp Hour rating and not satisfactory for boon docking for extended periods.

Who "advised" you that these were entry level batteries?  The brands I have seen at Sam's and Costco are well known National brand batteries.  I  I do  believe that batteries are one of the few areas where paying more does mean getting more.  I am a BIG AGM fan but they are so expensive I went with a cheap Chinese brand to save 1/2 the cost.  It did work out OK for me as they also lasted1/2 as long so I really didn't lose anything.

Most all batteries are good but there are better versions of good as long as you are willing to pay the price.

Our last coach came with AGMs.  Even though it was RV number five, and I'd been a big time boater for years (used 4 D's in the last one), I didn't know an AGM from an ATM.  Now I know enough that I'll never own another RV/Boat with other than AGMs.  Too many advantages to even list.

Also, care and maintenance goes a long ways for life expectancy on any battery, especially if it's acid.  I am like FIVE, been there and learned ! 

I am a flooded battery guy, just do not like the cost of an AGM when a pair of good flooded Crown 260s will go 10 years with proper attention and the Trojan 105s will come close. A watering system is a must. Your use needs and available space are going to be the guiding elements in what you do. AGMs do not like cold, but hey who camps in the cold on purpose...it is a consideration.

80 watts

We are dry campers and have a full solar array totaling 960 watts, 6 panels @ 260 watts each and 780 AMP hours of battery, half is usable. Last winter we dry camped 96 days. (4 of these panels are adequate for most needs and 4 6 volt batteries.) If campground rates were $40 a night = $3,840 I paid for the system last winter, first time out. Who says the recovery time is a long time out. I will say this, there are many installers that will install a system that does not work adequately and buyers need to use the generator to get the job done. We used the gen set 4 times to run the AC units on 4 90+ degree days only

For your own edfication and gain solar knowledge that works, read handybobsolar.com,  initially the charging puzzle.

I changed to AGM batteries when we had our driveway redone with an epoxy surface.  The AGM batteries don't leave rust stains below the battery compartment.  We are ending our fourth summer with the AGM batteries.  I never got more than 3 seasons out of the wet cell batteries.  I don't know how long these will last but the convenience, not having to constantly check fluid levels and the lack of rust stains, possibly the reduced damage to the battery box may all be factors that make the AGM batteries a good choice.

23 hours ago, Batsome said:

I am in need of replacing my two 6 volt house batteries and would like to get some that are good for boon docking for extended periods.  I have two 80 watt solar panels mounted on my unit.  Any suggestions?

Boondocking for extended periods is all about charging your batteries, not about the inexpensive golf cart batteries or the expensive Trojan/Lifeline batteries.  My money goes to the Costco or Sam's Club batteries at about $80 each. You also need to be willing to check the water level in the batteries every month.  Or buy expensive AGM batteries.

160 watts of solar is fine for keeping your 220 amp hours of batteries charged IF you only run your lights, a furnace in temps above about 50 degrees.  No microwave, toaster, coffee maker, satellite TV receiver and TV use. 

You will not get much life out of any of the batteries, including the expensive ones, if you don't get them charged to 100% at least once a week.  Every 4 days or more is better.  Additionally for longer life you should only discharge your batteries 25% (75% full). 

Trojan life cycle chart lists about 3000 cycles if you only discharge 25%, about 1500 cycles if discharged 50% and only about 750 cycles if discharged 75-80%. 

Additionally discharging to 50% requires longer charging times. 

What some people do is in the morning, run the generator for about an hour to get a good bulk charge in the battery and then let solar take over to get the batteries as well charged as you can.

You also need a battery monitor to measure how many amp hours you have used and how many amp hours have gone back in your batteries when charging.  A Trimetric monitor is an excellent choice.

Magnum also makes a monitor to do the same thing. It is my contention that if the solar is sized correctly there is no need to fire up the gen set to do what you paid the solar to do... Yes the Trimetric RV2030 is a good one as is the companion charger. It makes for an efficient and relatively inexpensive set up. Just ask me how I know

B

I have the magnum battery monitor and it has been a great tool to enable me to monitor my battery charge level.

One note to consider before purchasing you will need to determine if your inverter/charger  and monitor/controller software is high enough revision to support the battery monitor.  In my situation I found that CPU in the inverter/charger would not support the higher software revision and I had to replace the CPU board ($140),  I was fortunate that the monitor/controller was had the capability to allow them to install the higher version of software.  I contacted Magnum and they offered to install the upgrade software at no charge.  Since I live in WA state I was able to drop by their headquarters in Everett WA and there were able to install the upgrade while I waited (5 minutes)

Jim

Jim.

Magnum also.  2 PSW 2,800w each.  That's 4 AGM 6 volt's per bank !   I got really tired of flooded batteries and that's the house, also got 2 - 12v for engine!  All replaced by NAPA last September, $2,600 installed. :wub:

Carl,

Do you remember the rating/brand of the NAPA house batteries that you installed?

Thanks,

Jim

Crown if you can find them make a far superior Battery...NAPA batteryis are pretty good but not like they used to be...I use the automotive versions only

Jim.

Rating is 75, brand is NAPA, they bought Best Western.

Bill, we all know about your love for Crown Acid...Do you have a lot of stock in that company? LOL

Guys, all of these batteries are from the same couple of manufacturers; they just have different labels on them.  Shop for your 6 volt flooded lead acid batteries by looking at  $$ per pound.

Cheapest and most accurate condition of charge is a $12 specific gravity meter.

Most batteries do not die a natural death, they are murdered.

Proper charging, depth of discharge, and maintaining fluid level all impact the batteries' life span.