Sign in to follow this  
sanmar

2005 Monaco Stairwell Cover

Hi,

New to the coach world-- bought a beautiful low mile gently loved Cayman. Anyway, the stairwell carpeted cover would not come out from under the floor straight, so I removed the cover and found that there are two long skinny rods ,threaded at both ends ,one end was threaded into the rear bar of the slider assembly, the other ends were into brackets hanging down from below the cover.

It looks as these rods kept the cover straight, or possibly brought the cover up level to the floor at the end of the travel.The problem is these rods snapped off from the rear bar of the assembly. I was wondering if the whole assembly can come out, or was it put in before the floor?

It is a mechanical cover with a big 3/4 rod that drives the system.

Anyone with any knowledge of these would be greatly appreciated , and or parts or manuals if available.

Thanks so much.

I fought this battle with our coach.  The shop couldn't fix the problem until I completely disabled the system, disconnected all the connections, found one had come loose at the rear of the system.  Took it back to the shop and told them where the problem was.  They got it right that time.  I'd let the tech's handle it, too difficult and tight for me to tackle it.

Thank you for your help. Do you know if they pulled it out? It looks like three phillips screws in the front under the stairs carpet, then unhook wiring to motor and possibly the whole unit slides out. Was wondering if any hidden fasteners in the rear? Once I get it out looks like a simple fix. Just not sure if it just slides out as a whole assembly,thank you.

Basically, like the step.  :P

In your owners manual it should list the manufacturer of your cover, if it's a Kwiki,  it's now by Lipper industries!  On the internet you can look it up by model number and you'll find a parts list and schematic for electrical & mechanical operation of your unit.  If you don't have anything showing your step, then call Monaco at REV ask for Tech dept. and have your VIN# handy.

Hope this will help you!

I think there may be some confusion here, we aren't talking about the external step, we are talking about the stepwell cover (Monaco's term).  It is the panel that covers the stairwell by the entry door.  Ours operates with an electric motor that turns a screw gear.  The rider on the screw gear slides forward pushing the stepwell cover forward toward the door.  As it comes forward, the mechanism raises the cover to become level with the floor. 

In our owners manual there is a single paragraph describing how to operate the stepwell cover.  There is no diagram, no information on manufacturer, etc.  This looks to me like something that is engineered by Monaco itself to fit it's specific application.  In my examination of the device itself, I saw nothing to identify a manufacturer. 

Our repair shop had no problem getting a new motor which was their first attempt to repair our unit.  I believe if you tried to remove it you would simply have to take individual parts out separately, it isn't a single slide in unit.

The stair well operators were manufactured by Kwikee now Lepper as stated by manholt.  If you look at iRV2 form you will find several post that offer suggestions for repairs.

Jim

I have it out. It comes out as a single unit. It is a tight fit. I had to remove the carpet on the side wall of the stairwell.

The hardest part was finding the wire harness connector to be able to pull it out far enough to work on it. A little welding and some hammer and dolly work and I should be back in business. I will get some pics, thanks for all the great info!

Sanmar,

Is  there any access to lube the slides or screw mechanism? My coach is a 2004 and have never performed any PM on it.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim,

It could be lubed if you extend the cover all the way out towards the screen door,a can of white lithium with a long straw would do it ,or you can remove the cover-- 4 phillps screws on each side ,and 4 screws thru the riser brackets. I am going to clean and lube all the slides and drive screw before I re install.