ispjs

Thoughts On Thor Tuscany

We are continuing our slow search for a used DP.  Initially we have only looked at looked at about 3 or 4 brands, Newmar and Tiffin being at the top of our list.  Recently we looked at a couple 2013 to 2016 Thor Tuscany 45' models online and like the floorplans.

I have been pretty happy with our Thor Challenger gasser, but we have only put about 8,000 miles on it also.  Who out there has a DP Tuscany?  Happy, not happy with quality?   Any issues been discussed on here the last few years with them?  We took a Thor Motor Coach factory tour a couple years ago but I was paying more attention to the gas line.

Here is a topic that might help;

Just my personal opinion, If I were shopping for a new coach Newmar would be my 1st choice, probably my only on that scale of a product. The placement of items that require maintenance on a Newmar are placed properly for access, they seem to be the only one that has common sense in their engineering practices. You never hear someone bragging about how they had to drive 2000 miles for warranty repairs in a Newmar, that in of itself still baffles me why that is so common with Tiffin and that they allow their dealer support to be so poor.

Ditto.  Had a Tiffin Allegro Bus, 17, 800+ documented miles in 30 months, between Dealer in Tampa, FL., and Factory in Red Bay, AL.  It was either broke or a recall on a second from best of their Models. POS. :angry:

My $$$ would go on a Newmar!  There was a time, up to a year ago that I was considering Prevost, Newell or Foretravel!  But, we all get older and our priority change.:(

Wasn't Newmar acquired by another company in the summer of 2016?  Maybe Thor???  Vaguely remember discussing new ownership of the company with the owners of a gorgeous Newmar parked next to us at the Swan Bay RV Resort in Alexandria Bay NY that year.

Thor now owns Jayco!

WB bought everything CC in 2016.

Renegade is now a REV company!

Nothing on Newmar....unless it was last night. 

12 hours ago, ISPJS said:

..We are continuing our slow search for a used DP.  Initially we have only looked at looked at about 3 or 4 brands, Newmar and Tiffin being at the top of our list...

I would not limit my search to just those two brands...I'd add American Coach and Winnebago.  Lots of nice coaches out there of all brands.

I have an 08 Damon Tuscany. Bought new, now have 85,000 miles on it over eight years. It has been great in every aspect. I've had little issues that I hear everyone has with quality control from the factory. Everything has been handled professionally, and I would certainly purchase another. 

From my perspective, it is all about the floor plan, how it looks and how you like it. I think all coaches that come off an assembly line have the same QC issues, proof of this is noted in all the forums I have seen, and from chatting with owners of every major brand.

macandphyl, your 100% correct.  It don't matter if it's a $85k gasser or a $2 million custom!  I spoke with a man who felt that QC could be eliminated if all RV's was built by Robotics!  Really?  Robot's is only as good as the information given the computers...bad info in = bad info out.  Programmers, have bad days also! :ph34r:

While I do agree some are worse than others. And some don't give proper access for repairs and maintenance. 

Nothing like needing a sawzall to access the engine :angry:

Motor home design engineers went to the same school that taught the automotive engineers that designed the Air Conditioning for the 55-56-57 Chevrolet's. :angry:

(anyone out there remember them?}

Herman

Yes Herman and it was not just Chevy in those years!  You was better off putting a wet towel in the window space that trying to run AC!

7 hours ago, Hermanmullins said:

Motor home design engineers went to the same school that taught the automotive engineers that designed the Air Conditioning for the 55-56-57 Chevrolet's. :angry:

(anyone out there remember them?}

Herman

Pop used to hang this big thing on the window of our '59 Ford station wagon. Would fill it with water and every now and then would pull the string to recirculate it. People would slow down when they saw it, thought it was radar.

Jumper,

What that was is called an Evaporator Cooler. Some call the unit for a house a "Swamp Cooler." Most every time someone pulled the cord they would get a face full of water. Does anyone out there remember people hanging a canvas water bag on the front of the car to have water for when the car would over heat. Dang it all, I'm telling my age again.

Herman

Herman,  I remember as a kid my Dad had one of those on the front of his Plymouth!  He hated that car...Your post made me smile...

Now I remember the Newmar Integra mistake that I made. My fault. Our neighbors had a tag axle unit that was  the next to the top of the line Entegra. Not a Newmar but a beautiful ride anyway. They were worried customer service might not be as good after Thor bought Entegra. The Shadow knows!!

We aren't really ruling out any brands, it is just that Newmar and Tiffin had two of the floorplans that we really liked along with a Tuscany model.  As far as buying new we have never been very serious about that.  We experienced one new RV purchase and I swore I would never go that route again.  

Generally our requirements are 1.5 baths, king bed, able to tow 10,000 plus, tag axle, 42'-45' long.  In addition, it either has to come with w/d units, satellite, and a couple other options or we would immediately add them.  I guess the good part is we still have time to browse.  Will be moving into our 37' gasser next month full time but staying stationary in SW Florida until around May, 2018.  I'm in no real hurry but want to find the right coach for being full time possibly up to 5 years or more.

Joe.  Yes you have plenty of time to look at good used coaches in the 42-45 range along with your wish list...you also have, an over amount of big name and brand dealers, within 150 miles of where your staying.  Also, don't forget the annual Super Show at the Tampa Fairgrounds in January, followed by the RV show down by you...most dealers are represented in both Shows!

Good hunting and keep coming back to us, we love to hear how folks are doing in their hunt !

The hunt may or may not be over.  I shared this information with Bill (PM tonight).  We finally went up to Lazy Days because they had a 2012 Tiffin 43.  The salesman I spoke with said it was cherry.  We checked it out and it was pretty nice but was still in their service bay getting stuff fixed.  Decided to look at a couple used Entegra Aspire models they had, both 2014's, one a 44 and one a 42.  The boss really like the floorplan of the 42 so we took it for a little test drive.  Everything was good except it "wandered" a little going down I-4.  

Went over some initial numbers, got bored because we were so far off, so we made a offer and left.  About 30 minutes from home the salesmen called and met my numbers.  Of course they still have to figure out what the front end needs plus in a couple days it has to pass my extended PDI.  We will see what happens but if the deal goes through I think we got a pretty good coach.  Bill made a good suggestion and that was have them to an all wheel alignment and not just the front.  

When we got home I had an email from my Newmar salesmen.  Three days ago we had looked at a 2017 new Ventana 4369.  I told him what difference I would give, which was about 30% off MSRP.  He said there was no way they would do that deal.  The figure in the email lacked about $2,000 from being 30% off.  I guess you snooze you looze!