Kiltedpig

Recommendation For TV Under 39" & Over 32"

The spot for my front TV will not handle a 39" TV so somewhere 32 and 39 will fit. Can't find one.

Anyone have experience with this and where I can find one?  Looked on-line and nothing.

When I changed my front my concern was not he picture size but the width of the TV. Find one that meets your measurements. You can got on site such as Best Buy, Target, WalMart, Sams, Fry's and so on. There you can get the measurements you need.

Herman

We did the same as Herman-- measured width and took a yard stick to a couple of TV stores.

In most cases the diagonal measurement is pretty meaningless for sizing a replacement TV for a motorhome.

Look at the pictures in my profile.  I fitted a Vizio TV outside the box with a couple of angle bracket.  Looks like it was made to be that way.   

Think outside the box.    :)

Visio 26 in back, 32 in front. (Old were 19 and 26)  Both on Amazon supplied swing out arms attached to inside of old TV cabinet.  Secured with bungee cords and velcro from behind while in transit. Plenty of space behind for electronics and storage.  Open space under TV covered by removable smoked plexi-glass, also from Amazon, allows IR remotes to work. Both TVs extend wider than old recessed boxed tv but not so much to block adjacent cabinets

Nice!  In a 30 foot coach, the 32" is more than enough!  Like the storage and plexi-glass also.:) My Linda did the overlap and bungee also, went from a 37" Sony, that weight a ton to a 45" Vizio that weights 37 pounds!

As said above, width is likely your key dimension.  The flat screen TV's are all wider than tall.  If you are fitting into a tube TV space, they were nearly as tall as wide.  The wider dimension will then be the only one you have to really worry about.  I cut down the box (taking  off the bottom in our case) to make the TV fit like it was built-in.  If you can't adjust the size of the box, you could put a filler in to enclose the TV or you could add a shelf for additional storage over or under the TV.  I went on-line to get dimensions that would fit in our box.  Checking with several different TV manufacturers web sites will get you a TV with dimensions that fit.  Whatever size TV that is should be the focus of your search.  If it is a 32 inch TV that will fit, most manufacturers will have about the same dimensions for that TV. 

Take a tape measure with you to Walmart, Best Buy, Target, wherever you shop to get actual measurements.  Allow an inch for some space between the TV and the cabinet.  Not an inch on each side, just a little room to keep the TV from squeaking as you rumble down the road.  Some smaller TV's have plastic backs and the mounting screws go into plastic.  That works in a stationary environment but I wouldn't use it for a mobile situation.  Larger TV's have a metal frame that includes the mounting on the back.  We've had ours mounted that way for 8 years with no problems.  Here is a link to the write-up I did when we replaced ours.

Did the same as Tom-- found the widest TV that would fit, then removed and cut down the box vertically to align with new TV dimensions.

Add one more thing to the mix: sound.  If you don't have external speakers, look for a TV that has FRONT speakers. Speakers at the bottom work great, as they don't impact the "critical dimension" (width).

21 hours ago, FIVE said:

Go to Wally World, they have all sorts of brands and sizes.

Wal-Mart has cheap TV's of all kind.  By this I mean that all of Wal-Mart TV's are cheap and they are cheap for a reason.  They have the oldest technology and the price savings are not worth the crap you are buying.  Big old fat flat screens with poor resolution and poor contrast numbers.  Many are still LCD only and not LED/LCD which you absolutely want.  I just can't wait for a reasonably priced OLED in a size that will fit.  1/4" thick and the best picture of anything currently available.  Sorry, my mind wandered.......Best Buy, Sam's Club, Costco all have good deals on good TV's.

Would love to have the latest technology but that is a cat this dog won't chase.  Just got an iPhone 7.  Now its "old technology."  I guess it makes sense to purchase the latest and best but within the lifetime of the TV, it will be way out of date - unless you just keep buying the next best thing.  If you are moving up from a CRT, anything digital will be a fantastic improvement.  For something under 39 inches, the benefits of extreme resolution are minimal.

BillA.  If you really want to beat out the Joneses, get a Bang & Olafson! :P

Now, back to OP & Reality TV.  As Brett, Tom & others have said, there are a lot of choices that will fit your needs and not break the bank!  Also, I don't know if the latest technology will work well for a "Rolling Earthquake" ! :o  

Did some figuring and I can pull out the cabinets on the drivers side which are against the existing TV and then I can fit a 40" and still be able to relocate the equipment that is in the existing cabinet.

That sounds like a good plan.  Be certain the cabinet or mounting that replaces it will be sturdy.  The new TV's are much lighter than the old CRT but they still need good support.

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 3:21 PM, Kiltedpig said:

The spot for my front TV will not handle a 39" TV so somewhere 32 and 39 will fit. Can't find one.

Anyone have experience with this and where I can find one?  Looked on-line and nothing.

I found a 37" Visio. I love it for quality of picture. - it replaced a 32" and the "hole" wouldn't take a 40" TV.

In our previous MH we had an original 30" TV. Had the speaker grills on the front sides and occupied a space of 36" x 21".  We replaced it with at 36" TV that fit right in the hole. Mandatory that you measure the dimensions of the hole and then go shopping with a tape measure. Don't measure diagonally just length and width. Many of the newer TV's have 1/2" or less borders and it gives a much nicer viewing area.

Sales people will walk up and say, "you need to measure diagonally for size,"  They have no idea what you are measuring for.

:lol: Too true, never give a sales person 100% input on anything.  Their selling you what they want, not what you want. :wacko: