Chunkybeastracin@aol.com

Pet Discrimination

Our 32# standard schnauzer was really good around other dogs when on leash. Over the last 3 years, she has been attached by larger dogs that were off leash, in an are where leashes were required.  Since the attacks, she has become leash aggressive to most other dogs.  I continue to work with here and she is doing better since it has been a while since the last attack.  She loves all people and kids, just certain dogs.  Dogs that she met and new before being attached are no problem, regardless of size.

The dogs that were off leash were large mixed breed with pitt or rott in them. So I have no use for these breeds and try to stay away from them.  When we are walking in an area that is somewhat unknown to me, I carry a 5' long maple walking stick to fend off unleashed dogs....and I will protect my dog.

We know Wayne's dog, Miya and she is great around people. We keep our dog away, knowing they both have issues.  Our Abby is doing better.now, so Wayne, Miya may be able to improve as well.

Ken

I don't have a problem with any dog at the campgrounds.  I have problems with the owners that think the leash law doesn't apply to their dog.

Forgot to mention. I good friend of mine is a veterinarian and he recently got a Chihuahua. One day he came over carrying the Chihuahua. Miya was of course curious but not aggressive and they became friends.  Kind of funny watching them.  Think 75 pound Husky with a 5 pound Chihuahua.  So maybe there is hope for Miya.

Ranger is a beauty and Miya looks like she is up to something mischievous, in the last photo.  As for me, I have always felt that there should be no "banned" dogs at RV Parks!  Any animal will react to how it's trained and we train them!  If you see a man/woman walking a dog with a spiked chock collar and chain for a leash, neither one, belongs in the Park to begin with!!!

I have never had a reason to raise my voice, at any of the dogs, that adopted me!  Linda has 2 dogs.  Rena is a Black Lab Mix, that had been abused, beyond belief, for 11 years (by Linda's dead brother, he was PTSD from Nam) and she would not go near me, for a year...now we walk on/off leash and she will lick my hand.  The other, is a Rat Terrier, 18 years old and totally wacko.  She will not allow Linda to pet her, but will come to me for that.  Her name is Patches, and Linda's had her for all 18 years. Rena for 4.

My last dog, I was with her for 15+ years...got her from the Galveston Island rescue center when she was about 10 weeks old, the day they was going to put her down...I named her Lucky!  She was a African barkless/border collie mix.  Over a 2 year period, I trained her to come, sit, lay, stay and on/off.  So there would be no confusion, from other people, trying to give her a command, I did it in Norwegian! She also knew my hand signals.  After I put her down, I gave all of her and my, Air miles, to Shriners International, they got 548,000 miles!  She went thru 4 coaches, knew 3 houses, 2 ranches, 4 hotels and a Lagoons 42 foot Cat, that I kept in Grand Cayman.  Sold it 2 weeks after she passed.  She was never my child...just my travel companion!

Wayne, your right, the more you train and work them, the more they want. The more enjoyment you both have together! 

Is that a neighbors Long Horn and Horses or yours? 

Wayne, you and your canine are probably the exception to the rule.  I was walking in a rural area next to our old neighborhood last year when I came across a gentlemen about my age with 3 dogs.  None of them were on a leach.  One, a black lab, charged me.  He was yelling at it the whole time to come back but it was obvious the dog wasn't going to listen to him.  I simply stopped and put my hands in the air as his dog closed on me.  It turned out the lab wasn't aggressive but friendly and jumped up on me as a greeting.  Problem was his nails scratched the crap out of my leg, which didn't sit well with me.

I kneed the lab's chest just enough to get him down off of me and began walking past.  I reminded the guy that there was a leach law even in the county.  He didn't apologize but turned toward his dogs and said to them "better leave Mr. Grouchy alone".  Needless to say I stopped and we had a further conversation.  I showed him the scratch on my leg, which was bleeding some, and warned him that with concealed carry in Florida he was taking a chance of getting his lab shot by letting him charge at folks.  The guy yelled at me "so now you are threatening to shoot my dog?"  Needless to say the conversation went down from there all because he owned 3 untrained canines and he refused to follow the laws about keeping them under control.  

Since this was my regular route to walk every morning a call was made to the Lee County Animal Control.  It took them a few weeks but finally they happened to be in the area when this guy was letting his dogs run.  They were going to just warn him but he copped an attitude with them so they cited him.  One citation for each dog, totally just over $900.00.  My tax dollars at work!

Carl,

The longhorn was one of 3 in a fenced area at the KOA in Fredericksburg.  One day I was walking Miya and low and behold she started going forward on the leash. I reeled her in to keep control because she was very anxious to go see the big animal. I gently let here mosey up to the barbed wire, and that is why the tight leash so she would not get her on the wire, and she went nose to nose with that BIG longhorn. Every day after that, and for four days, our walk had to be up to the longhorn. Now, when approaching the other two longhorns would be closer to the fence but when the big guy saw Miya he started walking toward the fence and the other two scattered. He was definitely in charge.

The horse is down the road a few miles from us in the pasture.  When we get out of the car the big palomino shews the other horses away so he can greet Miya.  She is not afraid of big animals. (Or lawn mower, or tractors or....who knows.)  With the robot vacuum cleaner i the house, recently bought robot, she just lays there until it gets close then moves. Did that from day one.  

I agree. Animals are not bad but the owners sure can be.  Some owners have no idea when it comes to consideration of others.

Joe S,

I think she is one of an exception.  I hope you can meet her someday.  I do understand that she wants to greet people and her greeting is to jump up to say hi.  So whenever we are greeting people I go to a short leash to make sure she doesn't jump.  After about 30 seconds or less she will not even try to jump up it is only on first initial contact. My "No Jump" command works about 99% of the time as does my "No Speak."

One day in Michigan we went out shopping and Miya gets up with her paws on the dash and just looks out. She will not bark at other animals walking by or people. So we returned and we took her for a walk so she could relieve herself from being in the MH for a couple hours.  About 4 campsites up a gentleman said that his grand kids were playing ball in front f the coaches and came to him and said he needed to see the big stuffed dog in the window.  He told him it was not stuffed, walked down and waved his hand close to the window and Miya followed his hand. Proved she was not a stuffed animal, like the other stuffed animals in the window. 

She does have at toy box with stuffed animals and squeakers. She never tears them up and loves playing with them from time to time.

Carl,

Here is a picture to show how big that longhorn is:

IMG_5634 2.jpg

Yea, that's good size!  Long horns can be a lot easier to get along with, same with Brahmas...they're gentle,  like a Great Dan! :) 

On 1/24/2010 at 12:34 PM, Chunkybeastracin@aol.com said:

I am not going to waste anymore time on this thread. Opinions are like rear ends; everyone has one.

There are other similarities, too . . . . 

2 hours ago, urbanhermit said:

There are other similarities, too . . . . 

You do realize  this goes back to 2018.:P

By the way that is a little longhorn. If you come to Fort Worth there is a guy who will take your picture on his longhorn that he rides.

Bill

I had that photo on my, "wall of shame", in Galveston!  When I got engaged to Linda in '17, the pictures disappeared...:P

Something to keep in mind Carl.My Linda gave me this picture our wedding day.

Im home Linda Lou (2).jpg

Edited by rayin

Ray, I took the photos down along with other memorabilia, before she came to my house....she never saw them!  😂

DW never lets me off the leash. What really bothers me is the bark collar and electric fence.

LMAO.  DB, that's what you get for marrying a Portuguese from the Azores Islands! 😂

Mine is a watered down half, the other being German/Hungarian. 😁

On 1/24/2010 at 8:09 AM, Chunkybeastracin@aol.com said:

We have recenlty encountered several RV parks that do not allow "aggressive breeds of dogs" in their parks. That includes the "bull" breeds like pitbulls, rottweillers, etc. We explained that we have two English bulldogs. After much discussion they reluctantly had us sign a waiver and let us stay.

Pet discrimination is becoming more and more prevalent in a lot of parks. I have met many pitbulls and rotweiller breeds that were the most gentle dogs I ever met. And then I've encountered some poodles and Chihuahuas that wanted to rip off my ankles. To discriminate on an entire breed of dog is total ignorance. A dog's tempermant depends on how that dog is raised and treated.

As a former insurance inspector I can attest that many dog breed restrictions are the campgrounds insurance carriers mandates. Last I checked there were eleven breeds that insurance company does not want on the property due to liability concerns.  This also applies to pet friendly hotels and apartments. I do agree that the raising and training of a dog has a positive effect on their temperament.  But, when have you last heard of an insurance carrier being reasonable?

On 1/24/2010 at 9:09 AM, Chunkybeastracin@aol.com said:

We have recenlty encountered several RV parks that do not allow "aggressive breeds of dogs" in their parks. That includes the "bull" breeds like pitbulls, rottweillers, etc. We explained that we have two English bulldogs. After much discussion they reluctantly had us sign a waiver and let us stay.

Pet discrimination is becoming more and more prevalent in a lot of parks. I have met many pitbulls and rotweiller breeds that were the most gentle dogs I ever met. And then I've encountered some poodles and Chihuahuas that wanted to rip off my ankles. To discriminate on an entire breed of dog is total ignorance. A dog's tempermant depends on how that dog is raised and treated.

Some RV parks have solved this dilemma, they tire of  this breed back N forth discussion and ban all dogs.  The current situation of more RVers than RV sites means turning away pet owners should not hurt their business.

On 11/23/2023 at 3:40 PM, rayin said:

Some RV parks have solved this dilemma, they tire of  this breed back N forth discussion and ban all dogs.  The current situation of more RVers than RV sites means turning away pet owners should not hurt their business.

I don't know about that. I haven't done a official survey but I bet 75% of RV owners travel with pets.

Bill

On 11/26/2023 at 5:32 PM, wildebill308 said:

I don't know about that. I haven't done a official survey but I bet 75% of RV owners travel with pets.

Bill

ill go as far as say its closer to 90% how many older saints miss kids and have dogs ... and how many people under 60 own coaches, not many. but 75 is a safe number thats for sure