lynnb

Towing A 2014 Honda CR-V

I'm a new member, new MH owner & using this forum for the first time, so please bear with me. I will be towing a toad (2014 Honda CR-V) and understand the procedure for setting up the CR-V's transmission for towing. My question: When I stop for a 30-60 minute break after towing for 3-4 hours, is it necessary to again go through the CR-V transmission procedure before getting back on the road? 

1 hour ago, LynnB said:

I'm a new member, new MH owner & using this forum for the first time, so please bear with me. I will be towing a toad (2014 Honda CR-V) and understand the procedure for setting up the CR-V's transmission for towing. My question: When I stop for a 30-60 minute break after towing for 3-4 hours, is it necessary to again go through the CR-V transmission procedure before getting back on the road? 

Welcome to the forum. I am towing a 2014 CR-V all wheel drive. You need to do/repeat the initial set up after 8 hours. I often start my car when we stop for lunch and before pulling out do the set up. (don't forget to pump your brakes to deplete the brake boost when you do this or when you do your initial set up to tow) I do run it through all the gears and GO INTO NEUTRAL FROM DRIVE ONLY or you will damage the transmission.  I don't pull the fuse and haven't had the battery go dead. Well ok one time when we stopped over night in the rain and I didn't turn the car off.:o

But other than that if you have any questions just ask.

Bill

3 hours ago, LynnB said:

In a word, no, since you haven't reached the eight hours required.  Depending on how far we are going, sometimes when taking a break, I will do the entire pre tow run up...then I can start on a new eight hours before having to do it again.  If towing consecutive days without driving the CRV, I put a trickle charger on it that first night.  BTW, the CRV manual gives good instructions. 

I have a 2013 CRV toad and only go through the set up if I stop for a couple of hours.  Been towing it for a couple of years and not had a problem.

My CRV has the full electronic package with GPS. I found the battery goes dead after a few hours if the fuse is not disconnected. I purchased a fuse switch on line and it has solved the problem ( as long as I don't forget to turn it off).

Good luck!

12 hours ago, coffeetrader said:

I have a 2013 CRV toad and only go through the set up if I stop for a couple of hours.  Been towing it for a couple of years and not had a problem.

My CRV has the full electronic package with GPS. I found the battery goes dead after a few hours if the fuse is not disconnected. I purchased a fuse switch on line and it has solved the problem ( as long as I don't forget to turn it off).

Good luck!

Welcome to the forum. I have heard the map program would drain a battery pretty fast. I thought about getting it but it came as a "package" that was way to much for something I had on phone and on my tablet free. :o

Bill

On October 30, 2017 at 10:06 AM, WILDEBILL308 said:

Welcome to the forum. I have heard the map program would drain a battery pretty fast. I thought about getting it but it came as a "package" that was way to much for something I had on phone and on my tablet free. :o

Bill

On October 29, 2017 at 9:30 PM, coffeetrader said:

Good luck!

Can you tell me more about the fuse and the fuse switch you use.  I tow a 2014 CRV and have problems with dead battery after towing.

I also have a 2013 cr-v with gps. When towing we shut off radio and gps screen. The only thing on is the little screen top middle of dash that is a clock. We have a wire from coach to car for maintaining charge when we drive. It goes in your seven pin connection. No pulling fuses no problem towing all day never a dead battery. Before we added charging wire to 7 pin connector we had same issues.  I do believe a diode has to be wired into circuit to stop back feeding. We had this done by dealer who installed blue ox on car  

Carl 2004 American tradition 

I have towed three different CRV's commencing in 1999 with absolute no problems as long as you follow the instructions in the owner's manual. I did add a "hot" wire with 15 amp fuse from the coach to the car battery. This "trickle charge" will keep the battery charge from getting low, especially if the battery is getting old. It is a shame Honda decided to no longer have the CRV's towable. My Honda salesman practically cried, stating CRV sales were down 5%. Duh!

John

I be more direct about your question......  If you stop for a break after say 3-4 hours, as long as you don't shift the transmission into park (or change any gear), you don't need to go through the transmission prep procedure. I stop and go all day and only perform the transmission prep procedure after 8 hours.

Greg

We have a 2012 (latest "generation") CRV and before that a 2007. The 2007 never had a problem because less electronics and electric drain. But I did put a heavy duty battery in just in case. The 2012 stock battery started to die on trips almost immediately so we put in the heaviest duty battery available. Still had problems. But found out a fellow resident in our snowbird park was installing those fuse cut-off switches in everybody's "New" age CRV's. Best $20 I ever spent. Just flip the switch when towing and all is good. The switch simply turns off the fuse connected to the radio and that view screen. I tried removing the fuse when we first got the 2012 CRV - forget it. Almost broke my back..and I had to get AAA to re-install it! Honda really blew it when they switched to micro-fuses and a tighter fuse box!

Hank

2005 Mandalay DP
2012 Honda CRV

There is a switch available at auto parts stores that will fit right in an existing blank spot on the dash, at least in my 2012. There is an article in the honda cr-v forum that describes the switch and how to hook it up with an "add-on" fuse. Ah, found an article. Try http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/26-racks-hitches-towing/51441-towing-crv-build-switch-pull-fuse.html. That's not the one I followed. Still looking ... Another discussion http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/27-miscellaneous-general-cr-v-discussions/18011-towing-my-cr-v-flat-question-about-fuse-removal.html ....

1 hour ago, ssummers said:

We are flat towing a 2014 Honda CRV using the Roadmaster FuseMaster and still experience a dead battery after towing for long periods (6-8 hours). Found information on e-trailer’s website which references Roadmaster Technical Service Bulletin from June 2, 2015. Thought I would share... 

“http://www.roadmasterinc.com/pdf/85-5426.pdf

Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing.

Bill

11 hours ago, ssummers said:

We are flat towing a 2014 Honda CRV using the Roadmaster FuseMaster and still experience a dead battery after towing for long periods (6-8 hours). Found information on e-trailer’s website which references Roadmaster Technical Service Bulletin from June 2, 2015. Thought I would share... 

“http://www.roadmasterinc.com/pdf/85-5426.pdf

Did you see my posting just above yours that has an even simpler solution?

Did you happen to notice that the instructions were pointing out the wrong fuse? That the link I commented on pointed out the correct fuse?

Bill

Lynn:

I tow a 2014 CRV.  Agree with comments in regards to your question if you do not move transmission handel during 8 hour window you do not have to go through procedure until 8 hours. I usually use 7 max before repeating.  Use roadmaster fuse switch and it help battery life, plus I have invisibrake and if I turn coach lights on it trickle charges battery.  

Phil

We have a 1998 Country Coach, towing a 2014 Honda CR-V. 

We use Roadmaster Even Brake system.

We have a 7pin cable with trickle charge installed. The Even brake unit is plugged into the 12v port on the dash below gear shift.

The key is turned to accessory I.

We do NOT have a GPS installation in car.

We do NOT have a fuse switch installed as that would negate power to the 12v port.

We are stumped as to why the (new heavy duty) battery drains quickly every time the car is towed.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

James & Jaymalea 

2 hours ago, Jaymalea said:

We have a 1998 Country Coach, towing a 2014 Honda CR-V. 

That is the whole problem CR-Vs don't like to be pulled with a CC.:D Just kidding I couldn't resist. Have you checked that the trickle charge is providing a charge? Just something to look at, when you turn the ignition switch make sure you don't slip past the acc spot. Double check that the headlights/running lights are not on. Met someone in a campground who was having problems with the battery going dead in his 2014 CR-V and if you weren't careful you could slip right past the ACC stop. I tried it and had a hard time feeling the little detent at least on his  car.

Let me know what you find. 

Bill

On 3/11/2019 at 3:25 PM, Jaymalea said:

...We are stumped as to why the (new heavy duty) battery drains quickly every time the car is towed...

What do you mean by "heavy duty" do you still have the standard 51 sized battery?  Some CRV drivers are putting the larger Honda Odyssey battery in...they say it fits.  If I'm driving multiple days, I put a trickle charger on it over night.

What braking system do use with CR-V?  I just bought  Diesel pusher coach and and don't know whether to get electric or air.  Which is the fastest acting in the time of an emergency or is that really anything to really worry about?  Thank you 

I would probably go with the M&G air system if I was doing it now. I realey did it backwards. I bought my towbar and brake system from someone who was not able to travel anymore, before I had something towable 4 down.:D

Bill

On 11/29/2017 at 9:15 AM, Halversonti said:

Can you tell me more about the fuse and the fuse switch you use.  I tow a 2014 CRV and have problems with dead battery after towing.

Scroll to my post of December 2017. Links there to all you need.

I replaced the OEM 14 CRV battery with a Honda Odyssey battery.  Haven't had a run down battery since the change .