Sign in to follow this  
crbobwall@gmail.com

Attaching ID Oval

We are FMCA members returning after an absence and with a new motorhome. My question regards the best way to attach the membership oval to the exterior of the coach without drilling holes. Is there another way to do it so that the surface is not punctured?

Bob and Gerrie in MT

Brackets for the id plates are available @ twelve $ a pair plus shipping and handling on the FMCA ID plate order form. The brackets mount on the motorhome's ladder.

There are several suppliers of ladder mount brackets. You can examine and purchase them at any FMCA Convention. You will also find them advertised in Family Motor Coaching Magazine. That takes care of the rear of the vehicle. There are two methods for the front of the coach, neither works for us. One solution is a set of brackets that mount the plate above the front license plate using the license plate mounting bolts. The front of our coach curves outward above the license plate mount and the plate would rub on our paint. The other solution is a set of brackets on suction cups for use inside the windshield. I would only advise this when parked. I wouldn't want the plate falling down while you are driving. We have a sun screen on our front windshield which obscures everything inside the coach. So we do not have our membership number displayed on the front of the coach except when parked at conventions. I have rigged a way to hang it from the windshield wiper with a bungee cord and that keeps the parking committee happy! I did see one coach that had the membership oval painted or decal on the front of the coach but I never talked to the people to find out where they had this done. Perhaps it was their own handiwork. It was on the front above the left side of the windshield and it looked great. I'd have it done if I could find the person who did it.

We are FMCA members returning after an absence and with a new motorhome. My question regards the best way to attach the membership oval to the exterior of the coach without drilling holes. Is there another way to do it so that the surface is not punctured?

Bob and Gerrie in MT

Bob and Gerrie:

As newbies waiting on our membership ovals to arrive, we were wondering about the same thing. I think I'm going to the decal & banner shop to see if they can scan it, print it and make exact replicas of the decal. Hopefully it won't cost more than a couple of sets of brackets for mounting. Good luck. Bob & Louise in Florida

Bob and Gerrie:

As newbies waiting on our membership ovals to arrive, we were wondering about the same thing. I think I'm going to the decal & banner shop to see if they can scan it, print it and make exact replicas of the decal. Hopefully it won't cost more than a couple of sets of brackets for mounting. Good luck. Bob & Louise in Florida

Bob and Gerrie,

I am also awaiting my ovals. Please let me know how your trip to the decal & banner shop went -- costs, satisfaction, etc.

Jacqueline in TX

I used a heavy duty double sided tape advertised to hold items to brick etc on the exterior of homes. I got it at Home Depot or Loew's, and put a strip on the top and bottom of the back of the oval, then lined it up exactly where I wanted it on the front, then carefully pushed it into place. We have had it on for 2 years. I believe that if I ever want to take it off, I can use fishing line to separate the tape from the oval, then clean the tape from the coach. It is a pretty permanent mount, but doesn't require holes. Oh, by the way, I have the 3m type plastic protective coating on the front of the coach where I stuck it, so it is not directly on the paint. Hope that helps.

I bought a couple brackets from an advertiser (Kiley Molds as I remember). They came with double sided tape, put them on in 2002 and they're still there. On the back I used the rubber lined hose brackets used in cars. Used stainless nuts, bolts and lockwashers and mounted them to the ladder. I also mounted our Good Sam Charter Lifetime (shhh..don't tell anyone) oval the same way.

Two 3/4" conduit teardrop brackets from Lowes will tighten around the bars on the ladder. the plate will mount to the brackets, may have to redrill one hole in the plate. To access the roof just remove one screw and the plate will twist out of the way.

Guest Wayne77590

I'm so cheap!

I used black tie ties for the back ladder.

For the front I went to Hobby Lobby and bought some suction cubs with the little metal hook. It is stuck to the inside window, low down near the dash, on the passenger side. The only time it has ever fallen of is when the 70# Husky hit it with her paw trying to get at the road-side cows.

I do want to get the mounts for the ladder, but I just have not done it yet, and the tie ties have been holding it for 3 years, with one replacement just because I wanted to.

Guest Wayne77590

I'm sorry Herman, I did not realize you had a troubled past.

However, thank you for your service.

As for the tie ties, I guess I'm just cheap, or maybe frugal.

Has anyone has trouble getting a response from Kiley Mold? I ordered the ladder brackets on April 8 and got PayPal confirmation. Still no brackets, nor any confirmation from Kiley that they have my order. I have called, emailed, etc. NO RESPONSE. Grrrrrrrr.