f453406

RV Trip Routing App

I use CoPilot there are a lot of customizable settings including height. I use the base program as I have heard of problems with  the RV specific one. One benefit is you can down load maps over your WIFI and you don't use as much data when on the road.

Bill 

On 11/1/2017 at 9:46 PM, WILDEBILL308 said:

I use CoPilot there are a lot of customizable settings including height. I use the base program as I have heard of problems with  the RV specific one. One benefit is you can down load maps over your WIFI and you don't use as much data when on the road.

Bill, do you use it on your phone, tablet, or laptop?

Come on, Carl. He is being proactive should the vote pass to allow all recreational vehicles to become members. Please notice he identified his RV as a Fleetwood Bounder, some may have an Ocean Kayak Frenzy, some a Schwinn Town & Country bike, etc. After all, they are by definition a recreational vehicle.  

On 11/1/2017 at 8:46 PM, WILDEBILL308 said:

Bill 

I also you CO-Pilot and I also have a Garmin 760RV GPS and both allow input of weight and size of your RV and finds routes that are suitable.  CO-Pilot and Garmin agree most of the time. I also have a built in Rand McNally that also takes the specs from your RV but seems to route down a lot of two lane roads that are questionable RV routes.  There is several versions of CO-Pilot and I have the one made for RVs.

1 hour ago, cwswine said:

I also you CO-Pilot and I also have a Garmin 760RV GPS and both allow input of weight and size of your RV and finds routes that are suitable.  CO-Pilot and Garmin agree most of the time. I also have a built in Rand McNally that also takes the specs from your RV but seems to route down a lot of two lane roads that are questionable RV routes.  There is several versions of CO-Pilot and I have the one made for RVs.

How has the RV version  worked for you? 

Bill

3 hours ago, manholt said:

Does that also apply to Snow Shoes and Cross Country Skiing?

No but I bet a dog sled would qualify as Recreational Vehicle.:P

Bill

To be classified a vehicle wouldn't it need a motor? Therefore, snowshoes are out but a snowmobile is in. Then the question becomes, would a dog be considered a motor for a dog sled? This is going to get very complicated but I have confidence the FMCA management team has carefully considered all the options and will inform us after the votes have been tallied. Sounds like a bill congress passed so they could find out what was in it.  

11 hours ago, elkhartjim said:

To be classified a vehicle wouldn't it need a motor? Therefore, snowshoes are out but a snowmobile is in. Then the question becomes, would a dog be considered a motor for a dog sled? This is going to get very complicated but I have confidence the FMCA management team has carefully considered all the options and will inform us after the votes have been tallied. Sounds like a bill congress passed so they could find out what was in it.  

No just like Bill A. said it is a vehicle on runners not tires. 

Bill

I've been using the Garmin 760 with pretty good success. The biggest issue for us has been when I don't have it plot the route and try to wing it on my own. Inevitably I'll end up with the thing screaming at me about a weight limit. Now I try to use the Garmin for everything unless I know the route to be safe. The Garmin does consider vehicle height, length, width, and weight. It won't create a route that would be a problem unless there are no other options, and then it warns you at the outset that there will be issues.

Thank you Richard for getting back on the topic.

I am fond of the Garmin also. Have had several in the past. As with all GPS units, they have issues to contend with. 

Herman

My wife has TruckerPath  on her phone(free app). Yes, it's designed for truckers, but we RVer's use many of the same restrictions. To me the most important feature is routing designed for large, heavy, long vehicles. I have it set to identify rest areas, truck stops, parking areas, and more that I now forget.