bwiz11

Installing A Dish On A Winnebago Grandtour

Bwiz11,

Welcome to the Forum.

I installed a Wineguard Traveler 1000. I have the Dish Hopper in our Coach. Works like a charm. May I answer any question about the installation for you?

Herman

The Matrix switch would have nothing to do with the Trav'ler.  You hook up a satellite receiver to the switch.  The antenna (any antenna) is connected to the receiver but does not interact with the switch in any way.

If you use that setup you will be able to watch the same channel on any TV in the coach (again, no matter the antenna).  If you want to watch 2 different channels on 2 different TV's at the same time then you will need 2 receivers or a Hopper and a Joey.

14 hours ago, Hermanmullins said:

Bwiz11,

Welcome to the Forum.

I installed a Wineguard Traveler 1000. I have the Dish Hopper in our Coach. Works like a charm. May I answer any question about the installation for you?

Herman

Herman, do you take your Hopper from the house or is it a leave in the RV?

18 hours ago, Hermanmullins said:

Bwiz11,

Welcome to the Forum.

Herman

Thank you Herman,

My wife let me buy my coach as a retirement gift which will be February 2018.

My Coach came with a winegard Razor preinstalled and the dealer informed me that the coach is prewired for satellite. I have decided on a dish HD system and I placed and order from camping world for a travler 1000 and 2 wallys with dvr upgrades.

My coach is a Winnebago grand tour, can you tell me the best place to mount the dish and also is there power available on the roof or will I need to run some?

I searched youtube hoping to find an installation video specific to my coach but I haven't had any luck.

Bruce

16 hours ago, BillAdams said:

The Matrix switch would have nothing to do with the Trav'ler.  You hook up a satellite receiver to the switch.  The antenna (any antenna) is connected to the receiver but does not interact with the switch in any way.

If you use that setup you will be able to watch the same channel on any TV in the coach (again, no matter the antenna).  If you want to watch 2 different channels on 2 different TV's at the same time then you will need 2 receivers or a Hopper and a Joey.

Hello Bill,

Thank you for the information, that helps.

ultimately I am trying to connect 4 TV's that are preinstalled  

You need to make sure the coach is pre-wired for a Trav'ler and not just pre-wired for satellite.  You must have the Winegard control wire up on the roof and 3 coax cables for the Dish Trav'ler.  Without this you are going to have to drill a new hole and run the control cable into the RV.  Double check and ensure they wire you up for the Trav'ler.   This will likely determine where you install the Trav'ler as well.

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 3:38 AM, BillAdams said:

You need to make sure the coach is pre-wired for a Trav'ler and not just pre-wired for satellite.  You must have the Winegard control wire up on the roof and 3 coax cables for the Dish Trav'ler.  Without this you are going to have to drill a new hole and run the control cable into the RV.  Double check and ensure they wire you up for the Trav'ler.   This will likely determine where you install the Trav'ler as well.

Bill,

The trav'ler was / is already installed and working.

I trying to figure out where the best place to mount the satellite dish is. I was told that there is already wiring for that as well, I can see the labeled cables in the cabinet in the coach so next I will climb on the roof and see where / if they come out some where.  my guess is somewhere near where the trav'ler wire go's into the coach roof.

When I replaced my dome with the Traveler it already had a hole for the cables to enter the coach.  I just tied the new (3) cables to the old and pulled them through. There were two coax cables, Bill A. can tell you why 2, and one power cable. Since the dome I removed was the second dome put on the coach before we got it, there were lots of screw holes on the roof. I covered each of them with fiberglass with matting. In the Traveler installation package there was a new cap to cover the cables where they entered the coach. Lots of sealant there also.

Herman 

8 hours ago, Bwiz11 said:

Bill,

The trav'ler was / is already installed and working.

I trying to figure out where the best place to mount the satellite dish is. I was told that there is already wiring for that as well, I can see the labeled cables in the cabinet in the coach so next I will climb on the roof and see where / if they come out some where.  my guess is somewhere near where the trav'ler wire go's into the coach roof.

You will have to help me here.  The Trav'ler is the satellite Dish.  If a Trav'ler is already installed and working what are you trying to figure out?  Are you trying to figure out where to install the interior satellite receiver?

I am a little late to this party but for someone looking for a Traveler the best price I found was tvformyrv.com I did the install. I placed it right over where the original dome was. The original was poorly installed...no sealant under the legs but plenty on the sides and front. There was plenty of water penetration from under and the back of each leg,  grrrr. I Allowed it to dry out and then Dicor sealant. These things do not come with stainless screws. I suggest you get a set for the install as they do not draw water like zinc coated screws and do not rust creating a long term issue, after all it is a mini marine environment. Installing this was/is not difficult and if pre-wired or with an existing set up the toughest part will be getting the unit on the roof, after that ...if you have trouble read the/follow the printed directions. :rolleyes:

You really don't need SS screws if the installation is sealed properly as no moisture will ever reach them.  A number of dealers installed KVH domes in the matter you describe and I think it was Winebago that did this with their old King Dome installations.  Of course they all leaked since there's nothing to stop the water from getting under the legs on the dome side (no caulk there).  Had they just put the legs in a bed of caulk and then screwed and sealed your standard screws would have looked just as the did the day the dome was installed.

Bill

I would disagree, as many of the screws penetrations were sealed well. On other parts of the coach that I pulled where I changed out fan units and the solar panel, showed signs of moisture from a little to a lot. All were sealed adequately. Not all moisture is from above. Is it necessary, no, but it's a good preventative for time down the road.

B

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 3:53 AM, BillAdams said:

You will have to help me here.  The Trav'ler is the satellite Dish.  If a Trav'ler is already installed and working what are you trying to figure out?  Are you trying to figure out where to install the interior satellite receiver?

Sorry Bill I mis-spoke the Rayzor is already installed and working . I have not yet installed my satellite Dish.

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 3:19 AM, Hermanmullins said:

When I replaced my dome with the Traveler it already had a hole for the cables to enter the coach.  I just tied the new (3) cables to the old and pulled them through. There were two coax cables, Bill A. can tell you why 2, and one power cable. Since the dome I removed was the second dome put on the coach before we got it, there were lots of screw holes on the roof. I covered each of them with fiberglass with matting. In the Traveler installation package there was a new cap to cover the cables where they entered the coach. Lots of sealant there also.

Herman 

Herman, thank you to you and the other members who have replied thus far.  UPS says my dish will arrive tomorrow, my coach is going in the shop Friday for DUE BILL issues so as soon as I get it back I will attempt to do the installation with info provided by all of you.

Thanks

Bruce

I have a 2010 Winnebago tour DB 40. On the roof it has a label saying the two cables are pre-stubbed  in the roof. My issue is getting power to mid coach for the new traveler dish satellite. Has anybody ran the power for the traveler from the roof to a mid TV center on the drivers side. I see some people say they tied the new cables to the old 2 coax cables  and pull him through. I find that a little scary. If they hang up now my two  coax cables are no use anymore either. Looking how to feed the power to the drivers slide where my TV compartment is. Any options thanks in advance.

Tom Mitchell

Tomakazie,

Welcome to the Forum. 

First Tom I removed your email address for your security. Folks can PM (personal message) here.

I think if you check with Winnebago you can find out where they stubbed out the cables for future installations. Most all have them it in the front of the roof. On my Monaco there was already a in-motions on my roof so when I installed mt Traveler 1000, I just pulled the cables through the the same opening. I was very fortunate that mine worked the frist time i used it and hasn't stopped (knock on wood)yet.

Your Traveler will have three cables, one for power and 2 coaxes. Their instructions are very good.

Herman

Welcome.

Why mid coach?  Your pre wired for all TV's and receiver's, there is a 3 way spliter between DS front cabinet & slide.

I purchased my 2015 Itasca 42QD used. It’s the same as the Winnebago Tour. It had a DirecTv Travler already installed on the roof near the front. I like having it near to front because many campsites have trees that block the satellite but often the front of the site is clear. As you back in you go under the trees. Only had a few sites that were a problem. If the dish was in the middle or rear of the roof there would have been more problem campsites.