sundancev

Ghost Electric Draw 110V

Good morning to all the wonderful experts who volunteer such good information to us novice folks.  This weekend, we are camped at my niece's home and plugged into their 110V house wiring.  The receptacle plug we are attached to is a 15amp outside plug so we are limited to using minimal electric. 

We turned the battery charger off (inverter remote console,) turned electric hot water heater off, and turned off the refrigerator from electric to gas only. 

We are still showing a 9amp draw.  I have turned off breakers throughout the coach.  Unplugging all surge strip appliances (computer, misc adapters for tablets etc.) does not change the amp draw.  Turning off the 20amp Inverter Breaker reduces the draw to 7amps.   The breaker marked inverter also feeds several outlets including microwave, toaster oven outlet, coffee maker outlet and misc strip receptacles (computer, tablets and phone chargers.) 

If I turn Inverter Breaker back on and turn off another breaker marked miscellaneous receptacles (20amp) in the main panel, the amp draw reduces to  2amp which confirms to me, a 7amp draw on the misc breaker.  This 7 amp draw is showing even though nothing is visibly connected to any outlets.

I am pulling my hair (already very little left) out trying to figure out what could be drawing 7 amps.  Seems like it almost has to have a small motor associated with it, in order to draw that much, but again nothing is connected.  Does anyone have any idea of what kind of hidden equipment in the coach could draw 7 amp.  We have three exterior receptacles (in storage lockers) that are used for charging drill/saw batteries and running vacuum cleaner and misc 110v lights plugged in from time to time,  none of which have any thing plugged in at present.  I am mystified.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions. 

Paul

2004 Fleetwood Providence (39')

350HP ISC Cummins Diesel

4 slides 

2014 Ford Explorer (toad)

What device are you using to verify the amp draw? Is it the control panel built into the MH, or is it a free standing (battery powered) clamp on meter? The built in one uses power itself, although 7 amps seems excessive. Excuse this slight change, it probably uses 12 volts from the house system, not thinking too clearly, not enough coffee yet, LOL.:rolleyes:

Paul, Just for fun check the voltage at both the house and chasse battery's. What is the voltage at the battery's. Do you have heated tanks? Do you have any lights on in your storage compartments? Do you have a fan behind the refrigerator? Let us know what you find out.

Bill

8 hours ago, wolfe10 said:

Block heater???

Very good thought, probably most overlooked, 7 amps about 800 watts worth, with no sound. 7 amps would be a one horse electric motor, not too quiet. Or heated tanks maybe, depending on what part of country the niece lives in, I used to use a waterbed heater set on auto control. I personally would turn off the misc., breaker and start watching for what thaws or freezes.

The steps, if turned on, will have a continuous draw as does the "parasitic" stuff.  When I was plugged in to 110 and the steps were left on the inverter/charger could not stay up with the combination draws.  When I turned the steps off I never had the problem again.

The steps stop by a current limiting switch that ha the continuous draw.

Wayne,

Not sure I understand.  The steps which are 12 VDC.  For them to draw enough amps to "overwhelm" the inverter/charger should surely blow a fuse (or cause a fire).

22 hours ago, SUNDANCEV said:

...We turned the battery charger off (inverter remote console,)...

Are you sure the charger itself is off?  I have two switches...one for the inverter, one for the charger.  They can be turned off/on separately.

Same here!  I believe I would just throw the main CB and all other CB's, then turn main back on and one CB at a time, to see where the 9A was coming from!  Other question is, why are you concerned about it, to begin with?

Current limiting switches are constantly on. In the step "on mode" the switch is operated by the magnet on the door. Door open, step outl, etc., but the current has to be present for the magnetic switch to work. 

In my previous life Winnebago I was having the same problem with battery drain while in storage. Bugged the heck out of me so I called Winnebago. Technical support said to turn the step switch off as the draw of the step along with the other parasitic items would be more than the Tric-L-Charger coud keep up with.

Once I started turning my step off I never had a low voltage situation again.

On this newer coach that we have they told me to use both the house and service disconnect switches to keep the batteries from draining. I'll see how that goes but I may hook up my Battery-Minder.

Agree.  Most inverter/chargers do NOT have a "turn off battery charging" function.  When they receive 120 VAC from any source, they charge the batteries.

Yes, by turning off the breaker that supplies the inverter, you can turn off charge function.

Hello all and thanks so much for your responses.  As usual Brett was right on top of it.  Block Heater.  We recently put my wife's sewing machine at foot of the  bed to store.  It was just the right height to hit the turn on switch for the block heater.  

For all of the other folks answering, The inverter has a remote control that allows me to turn off the charging component and at the same time turn off the inverting if I wish.  In limited amp situations i.e.  15 amp shore power, I can turn off the charger and still use coffee pot and microwave.  The remote control from Xantrax is surely one of the better purchases I have made in a very long time.  The options it provides is superb in addition to the various ongoing  12volt and 110/120Volt measurements it provides.  The other option is also to simply turn off the breaker for the inverter which also is another means to turn off charger (since the charger is part of the inverter.)  I thought I explained after turning off the inverter breaker (this same breaker also has a few receptacles it controls i.e. microwave, coffee pot and computer/Ipad) I was still seeing a 7amp draw.  I thought I also indicated after turning off all breakers except the one controling the remaining house receptacles, I stilled at a 7amp draw.  I apologize for not providing this information and further confusing the issue.  This draw shows up on my house panel draw on the console in the front of my motor home.  I also confirmed the 7 amp draw when I went outside and checked the led reading on my super-duper surge protector.  That sort of convinced me it had to be a 7 amp draw somewhere other than the AC systems, the hot water system and the refrigerator all of which were also turned off.  Nothing whatsoever to do with 12V side of things.  This was always a shore power 110v problem.  

The console amp reading is only indicated when I am using a 30 amp or 15 amp shore power connection.  When plugged to 50 amp shore power, it does not seem to care what my amp draw might be so it is not indicated.  I connected to the only outlet available (15amp receptacle used for plugging in weed eaters etc. by my neices family.)  One respondent asked why I cared.  The reason I cared was I wanted to keep my coach batteries charged and also make a pot of coffee in the morning using shore power.  Since the "ghost" 7 amp draw was indicated and I knew my coffee pot could push it slightly over the 15 amps total available, I was concerned.  I was also concerned that sometimes when I have not charged my batteries for a few days, I could draw as much as 12 amps on my charger(inverter/charger) whcih if added to a 7 amp ghost draw would give me potential problems.  I also like to know what usage is going on with electric, water etc. on my coach for preventative maintenace purposes. 

I apologize for not getting back to you folks earlier.  I did not mean to ignore all the responses.  I was on the road with a few trivial problems to deal with and unable to use my computer.  Mucho thanks again.  Paul

On 11/4/2017 at 11:25 AM, SUNDANCEV said:

f I turn Inverter Breaker back on and turn off another breaker marked miscellaneous receptacles (20amp) in the main panel, the amp draw reduces to  2amp which confirms to me, a 7amp draw on the misc breaker.  This 7 amp draw is showing even though nothing is visibly connected to any outlets.

You did cover it very well, some just overlooked that part of the post. Glad you figured it out, and thanks for letting us know.