DBH

Service - or Disservice?

Since retiring my wife and I decided we wanted to get out and see some of this amazing country -- so we decided we would consider RV'ing.

I joined all the associations, read all about coaches: Manufacturers, Size of coach, Horsepower, equipment, reliability - even which Tow vehicle we would pull...... I did the research!    We visited dealers around the country, looked at coaches, test-drove a bunch and settled on a new American Coach - Eagle 45A. Our first venture into 'the freedom-of-the-road'.

We paid the money took delivery and really enjoyed the first few weeks..... that was until I encountered the only aspect I hadn't researched..... service (or lack of)!   

As with all vehicles of this complexity, there were some things that needed attention - many relatively minor and just needed adjusting - a couple very significant and making the Eagle unroadworthy .... specifically loose windshield that could be moved with simply pressure of the thumb and when using the windshield washer - the water came down inside the coach and ran down the back of the TV - due to the fact that the feeder-hoses had not been connected.

So, I tried to get the items fixed.... wow, was I in for a surprise!

My wife and I live South of Denver in Colorado.... we contacted the authorized service center closest to us.... they said it was a 4 week wait for service... so I booked the coach in... during the wait period they called me and said their bays were not big enough for a 45 ft !   I then spent 3 looking for alternative service centers... after communications with American Coach we were left with Lazydays in Loveland, CO....

They quoted SIX weeks before they could book it in - no choice, right - so book it in I did.  I gave the rep on the phone a list of the work required, she told me it would take three weeks to do the work.... three weeks!   But, no choice, right? 

When the appointed day arrived, i delivered the coach to Lazydays and went through the list of work with the service rep that booked in the coach.  I confirmed I would pick it up in 3 weeks - all was set, all was agreed, all was good..... not!

After three weeks I contacted Lazydays to find out they had not, in their words, "completed as much of the work as they would have liked"..... Actually - to be accurate - they had completed exactly NONE of the work!  Not one item - Nothing!

They invited me to take the coach, and book it back in when the parts arrived from American Coach.... They could not, or would not, give me a date when that might be.

I explained that with a loose windshield and no ability to clean the windshield while driving, I didn't think the coach was roadworthy - they agreed but followed up with "nothing we can do, the manufacturer hasn't approved the warranty work and we don't have the parts!"

So, a little frustrated with American Coach for being so unresponsive - I called A/C customer service..... Lazydays had not even contacted the manufacturer!

The rep from A/C said she would call Lazydays to see if she could help... she did, they said they could get the windshield and washer fixed.... but it would take another week, seriously?

So, the point of this post?

Is this normal for this industry?

Do you/we really put up with being lied to and intentionally mislead?

Dont the manufacturers realize that their authorized repair centers reflect badly on them?           If I were asked by a friend if they should buy a motorhome, I would say "NO - not unless you want to be frustrated, lied to and wonder why you paid so much money for a vehicle you cant enjoy due to the appalling service provided!"

Welcome to the world we live in. I find it interesting to take my $30,000 Jeep in to have the heads replaced under warranty, I get it back in 3 days. I take my motorhome in to get a light bulb changed and get it back in three weeks. We pay for PDI and then we do the QA on it. AND we let them get away with it but then like you kept saying, "but, no choice, right?". 

4 hours ago, DBH said:

Since retiring my wife and I decided we wanted to get out and see some of this amazing country -- so we decided we would consider RV'ing.

I joined all the associations, read all about coaches: Manufacturers, Size of coach, Horsepower, equipment, reliability - even which Tow vehicle we would pull...... I did the research!    We visited dealers around the country, looked at coaches, test-drove a bunch and settled on a new American Coach - Eagle 45A. Our first venture into 'the freedom-of-the-road'.

We paid the money took delivery and really enjoyed the first few weeks..... that was until I encountered the only aspect I hadn't researched..... service (or lack of)!   

As with all vehicles of this complexity, there were some things that needed attention - many relatively minor and just needed adjusting - a couple very significant and making the Eagle unroadworthy .... specifically loose windshield that could be moved with simply pressure of the thumb and when using the windshield washer - the water came down inside the coach and ran down the back of the TV - due to the fact that the feeder-hoses had not been connected.

My wife and I live South of Denver in Colorado.... we contacted the authorized service center closest to us.... they said it was a 4 week wait for service... so I booked the coach in... during the wait period they called me and said their bays were not big enough for a 45 ft !   I then spent 3 looking for alternative service centers... after communications with American Coach we were left with Lazydays in Loveland, CO....

They quoted SIX weeks before they could book it in - no choice, right - so book it in I did.  I gave the rep on the phone a list of the work required, she told me it would take three weeks to do the work.... three weeks!   But, no choice, right? 

When the appointed day arrived, i delivered the coach to Lazydays and went through the list of work with the service rep that booked in the coach.  I confirmed I would pick it up in 3 weeks - all was set, all was agreed, all was good..... not!

After three weeks I contacted Lazydays to find out they had not, in their words, "completed as much of the work as they would have liked"..... Actually - to be accurate - they had completed exactly NONE of the work!  Not one item - Nothing!

They invited me to take the coach, and book it back in when the parts arrived from American Coach.... They could not, or would not, give me a date when that might be.

I explained that with a loose windshield and no ability to clean the windshield while driving, I didn't think the coach was roadworthy - they agreed but followed up with "nothing we can do, the manufacturer hasn't approved the warranty work and we don't have the parts!"

So, a little frustrated with American Coach for being so unresponsive - I called A/C customer service..... Lazydays had not even contacted the manufacturer!

The rep from A/C said she would call Lazydays to see if she could help... she did, they said they could get the windshield and washer fixed.... but it would take another week, seriously?

Dont the manufacturers realize that their authorized repair centers reflect badly on them?           If I were asked by a friend if they should buy a motorhome, I would say "NO - not unless you want to be frustrated, lied to and wonder why you paid so much money for a vehicle you cant enjoy due to the appalling service provided!"

Yes, common.  Even more common when dealing with Camping World.

3 hours ago, Hermanmullins said:

Sorry but my thought is to stop over analyzing it. No matter where you go you will be too critical and never make a purchase.

Herman 

He has already done that. Now he is trying to get it fixed.

Bill

8 hours ago, DBH said:

Welcome to the forum. Sad to hear about your service problems. 

Did you know Rev Group has a Factory service center just south of Fort Worth?South REV Technical Center, 5201 South IH-35 West , Alvarado, TX 76009

Service Hours: 6 a.m.-2:30 p.m. CT Monday-Friday

Parts Store: 6:30 a.m.-4 p.m. CT Monday-Friday 800-299-1158

This is a long way to go but it is the factory repair center.

I, would call and 1, see if you can have some one else do the repairs under warranty and 2, When can you get in their facility if you can't get some one else to do the work.

How is your windshield mounted? Is it in gaskets or supposedly glued in? Do you have pictures?

"when using the windshield washer - the water came down inside the coach and ran down the back of the TV - due to the fact that the feeder-hoses had not been connected." So connect the hose so your washers work. 

Let us know how it goes.

Bill

Thanks Bill

I will, in future, take it to REV - since, although its a long trip, it will be way less frustrating.

I am afraid I don't have pics of the windshield - never thought to take pics and I kinda assumed - if you have an issue with a 4 week old vehicle with an RRP of $770,000 ... the might, just might, fix the problem.... well, this isn't the first time I have been naive !

Such a pity - it such a great coach, wonderfully comfortable and great to drive.... but a third party dealer can cause such frustration that its easy to lose sight of the good things.

On 11/4/2017 at 2:03 PM, elkhartjim said:

Welcome to the world we live in. I find it interesting to take my $30,000 Jeep in to have the heads replaced under warranty, I get it back in 3 days. I take my motorhome in to get a light bulb changed and get it back in three weeks. We pay for PDI and then we do the QA on it. AND we let them get away with it but then like you kept saying, "but, no choice, right?". 

On 11/4/2017 at 2:09 PM, mikekohut said:

This would indeed be a shocking and revolting story, if it wasn't so common in the RV industry.  Let's hope that it soon changes, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

22 hours ago, BillAdams said:

Yes, common.  Even more common when dealing with Camping World.

So this begs the question:...... What can we (as consumers) do about the appalling service?

Perhaps we could get a register of service centers that are good, bad or just plain terrible?

Maybe set-up a grading system where we grade the service we received ?

My feeling is.... we have no choice because we allow ourselves to be ripped-off

2 hours ago, DBH said:

Perhaps we could get a register of service centers that are good, bad or just plain terrible?

Here is one option, Rvservicereviews.com

http://rvservicereviews.com/RVServiceMobile/Index.asp?height=640&width=360&WidthAcquired=true

The information is a little hard to glean, since you have to look at each facility separately, but it's a start.

Chris G. F3508s

Westminster, CO.

DBH, welcome.  I bought my only new RV through Lazy Days (Tampa) a few years ago.  The sales part went great, but when we passed through a few months later I had an appointment set up for a few minor warranty issues.  They didn't get them done that trip and during one more appointment a couple months later.  Lazy Days blamed Keystone RV and Keystone RV blamed Lazy Days of course.  I ended up fixing it all myself.  Swore I would never buy any type of new RV again, only used ones.   Now here I am getting ready to take delivery of a new Newmar.  

I am just holding my breath not only that I am getting a decent coach but that North Trail where I am buying it will live up to their reputation.  We will see.  

Generally a lot of new RVs end of being pretty good and you don't have to depend on shabby dealerships after the first few bugs are worked out.

Prior to the Sub Prime fiasco and bankruptcy's in 2006-2010, we had some problems with new coaches, but the last 10 years has been horrible!  Supply and demand has had a lot to do with it...in the 60-70-80 and mid 90 the demand was not a factor and we had far less problems than today!

I report poor service to RV Service Review ( Rvservicereview.com) and the Better Business Bureau in the area of the service provider. I also write reviews on Yelp. Must have some effect on the bad guys because I have had a couple contact me to " resolve" the problem. Also report good service to RV Service Review and comment about same on this forum and other forums for the benefit of others.    

When I purchased a new coach in 2016 and had the same frustrations, I sent an email to the president of the manufacturer and also to the owner of the dealer I purchased the coach from. The end result of a long story is instead of spending weeks and months dealing with service department that could not do anything until the manufacturer would authorize it, the manufacturer came and got my coach and took it back to the factory. They had it 2 weeks and flew us to Indiana to pick it up. Later on in the year we had to make a return trip to the factory but at the end of the day we were able to get everything fixed without the usually "wait"

My recommendation for anyone buying a new coach is before you pick up the coach call the manufacturer and make an appointment for about 2 months later so you can get everything handled the correct way.

Still have a couple of issues but the relationship I built with the representatives of the manufacturer I am confident these will be addressed although we are now out of warranty. So the bottom line is forget the service departments at the dealerships and go right to the manufacturer, they have all the parts and know how.

I don't do this when I buy a new car, why the heck should I have to do this when I buy a new RV?  Today I picked up my car after service.  The car has 119,000 miles and is still under factory warranty, I was given a free loaner and the week that I had the car cost me $10 in gas.  My RV cost 20 times more than my car but is built like it came from China, has a stupidly short warranty and requires an appointment months from now to get service.  What's up with that?

2 hours ago, BillAdams said:

I was given a free loaner and the week that I had the car...

That's it Bill!!!  If a motorhome is under warranty, they should give the owner a free loaner (same size) to use until the repairs are made!  This might speed things along.

Quality Control on the assembly line and before it goes out the door, should be mandatory for all RV's!  PDI before the buyer, looks at and buys his/her RV!

We could not agree more. We have a class A and live in Canada. Service is as bad if not worse. We made sure we had full coverage for anything that may go wrong but they didn't say "but good luck getting any work done". Our longest wait for parts was July to October. And some of the things were not done properly so had to go hunting for another service centre.  This past Aug we needed a new windshield from a stone crack, the first of Sept we had a trip planned and when that time came we called only to find it wasn't in yet. We took it for our 2 week trip and dropped it off again. Picked it up the first of November just in time to head south. Oh and did I say the shop was 2 hrs from our home. 

Fleetwood bounder

Wayne

DBH,

What you describe is most certainly has been a "disservice" to you and I'm personally appalled at what you've been experiencing. It's less than poor, it's shameless that some manufacturers and their assigned dealers are not more responsive to THEIR customer's needs.

It’s not only the RV manufacturer, but seems the chassis dealer is following the very same service model that RV manufacturers follow.  We live in a suberb of Houston and have the same levels of “service” from Freightliner now.  I am in agreement agreement with “Mypopslou” on his point of developing a good relationship with the factory personnel.   There was a response that QC was a problem, that folks in the truth!  If QA/QC were effective, we wouldn’t need warranty service nearly as much!  Service has received more than a fair amount of criticism (mostly justified);  I don’t see that fact changing any time soon either.   From across the room “Enough ranting Mikey”

Mike Young

’18 FR Berkshire 40B

F464920