maxwell18

Monaco Diplomat Slide Wall Leak

Just wondering if anybody has/had slide wall leaks. I read that monaco products(not new)  has had a problems with floor rot due to product defeat on the slides due to the bottom of the slide has a sheet metal ledge that the calking seal cracks and the gutter drains directions the water straight to the top of the seal and in turn the water rots the floor.

4 hours ago, maxwell18 said:

Just wondering if anybody has/had slide wall leaks. I read that monaco products(not new)  has had a problems with floor rot due to product defeat on the slides due to the bottom of the slide has a sheet metal ledge that the calking seal cracks and the gutter drains directions the water straight to the top of the seal and in turn the water rots the floor.

Welcome to the forum. I haven't heard that but it is possible. One more good  reason to inspect and recalk all seals.

Bill

Yes, All older Monaco, Holiday Ramblers had a poor lower corner design for slides. If you go to Talinrv.com, Chris Throgmortin has done a lot of research into the problem (owns a Holiday Rambler) and has a fix. Go watch his videos and you’ll get an understanding of the problem. 

He also sells replacement corner plates to correct the problem. I did all my slides before I had issues. Did the work myself using his kits.

This post got me to do some digging, snooping deeper into the slide construction on our coach, thinking maybe being proactive would be a good idea.

All of the videos I watched, none look like our slide designs on either slide. So I looked into the plates, sent photos to the manufacture and got this response; Your slides are a different design than the newer models. They can make plates for it if I choose to do so and walk me through the installation process if I want to go that route but it would all be different.

The other thing I found interesting, all of our slides roll onto Stainless steel plates now opposing the rollers, I have no idea if it came this way or it was modified. I will say, if modified I don't have a receipt from the previous owner, and that guy kept everything but fuel receipts in labeled files and I've got all of his files.

Maxwell, I have noticed if our seals don't flip and it rains hard, they will channel water to the interior. When ours don't flip I manually flip them with a tool I repurposed for this task.

I had the same problem with the seal flipping until I started using LUCAS Slick Mist to clean and protect the MH exterior.   The finish is so slick that there is little or no friction on the rubber seal.

I apply the Slick Mist monthly on the slide ends.

I remember seeing where someone installed some diagonal plastic strips on the slide ends to force the rubber seal to flip when it was opening and closing.

Jim