Jaustin

Dang Rodents

I learned about FreshCab, tried it, and apparently it works, haven't had mice since throwing pouches behind drawers, and cabinets. It must also deter elephants, haven't seen signs of those either.:unsure:

RAYIN.  If your coach start smelling like the African Savanna, you might have an elephant or some really large mice! :lol:  The Savanna smells like something died...:huh:yuk! 

We put several plastic cups with pepper mint oil and cotton balls and the mice stole the cotton balls.  We also had a mouse eat a complete pack of cayenne pepper.  We ended up with traps with peanut butter.

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 4:58 PM, RAYIN said:

I learned about FreshCab, tried it, and apparently it works, haven't had mice since throwing pouches behind drawers, and cabinets. It must also deter elephants, haven't seen signs of those either.:unsure:

We are using that as well along with the dryer sheets. So far been good. The got into our last MH in the cab heater blower and ate the wires and insulation up in the AC. When I started in up in the winter I got covered in nest material and a dead one's head was sticking out the vent. The fan kind of chewed them up. Took along time to clean.

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 10:59 PM, cwswine said:

pepper mint oil

What kind of Peppermint oil did you use? There is the extract and regular. I had a few mice out back of the house on the patio, I put a few drops on the pavers, haven't seen any trace of them now.

Below is a link straight off my Amazon order list and the I received.  Is that the wrong stuff?  Makes the RV smell nice but did nothing for mice.  I also put packets of mouse/rat poison under my generator so hopefully they won't use that route to get in.  14 packets later I purchased a game cam and wasn't hoards of mice but a possum eating my poison.  Picked up all the packets and left the game cam and comes back every night looking for more. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QVNKSA2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Try "Fresh Cab" Rodent Repellent usually found at Tractor Supply Stores (Farm Supply Stores in general) like CO-OP's.  Place mint scented packets around.  Helped us while camping last winter.  I also got our inside home insect company to install baits that make the mice thirsty.  When they leave to drink water, they die outside the coach.

Also, Home Depot, Low's, Ace, True Value, Wall Mart and most big grocery stores! :P:)  You hope they're DOA outside, I had one yesterday that was dead on a apple inside! :o

FYI...the use of products that poison rats is also killing our owl population. If the owl eats a rat that has ingested poison, then the owl usually ingests enough to die. When I had made place in the country, I kept rat poison out in all the barns. I saw my dog catch a rat one day and within hours noticed her becoming lethargic; I got her to the vet and she had to be treated for poisoning. If you're cat owners, this can really be problematic.   

I changed to traps.

Like Jim said - poisons do travel through the food chain. Traps need to be checked often.

Rodent Deterrents that I know of. The first 4 do work - the last one should cause them irritation if passed through a Garlic  press and heated with olive oil an placed in a container.

Peppermint Oil.

Cinnamon sticks.

Onions. Need to replace them more frequently.

Old Cat litter.

Garlic, might work under the right conditions. I sure know that it can be irritating when using it to cook. 

Cedar chips in a container

Some are more irritating to the owners then other.

Rich.

Garlic/EVOO...ummm, in my pasta, yes!  Rat's, no thanks.

As for any kind of poison, depends on the area and quantity it is dispensed in and how it's controlled.

12 minutes ago, manholt said:

Garlic/EVOO...ummm, in my pasta, yes

Are we inviting the Rats over for dinner :lol:? :wacko:

Sounds like a base for Linguini and Clams :lol:

Jim.

"Killing our Owl population"?!  You'll have to prove that one.  I just asked Linda about that, she is a Rancher and Bird lover, actually I think fanatic.  Her replay was, "that's a first for me"!  Oh, we don't have the Spotted Owl in Texas, we got the look alike Mexican Owl and it's not on the endangered list anywhere!:)

A poisoned mouse that dies where other animals can eat it will still be poisonous to the animal that eats it.  It really doesn't matter if the animal is endangered or not, human activity has reduced the habitat for many animals, all owls included, to the point that further damage to the population will eventually put them on the endangered list.  Taking small steps to protect any animal is better than having to take large measures to prevent their extinction.  Traps and methods that discourage or drive mice away are the best solution.  Poison should only be used as a last resort solution.

The National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America (which does include Mexico) lists 19 species of owls, there is no Mexican Owl listed in this authoritative listing of birds.  The term Mexican Owl is a common name used locally for another species of owl.  This guide also shows a small area in western Texas where Spotted Owls do live.  It would be a very rare sighting if Spotted Owls showed up in Galveston as their normal range is in thickly wooded canyons and humid forests.  Besides the Spotted Owl (Strix occidentalis), we also have Barn Owls, Long-eared Owls, Short-eared Owls, Great Horned Owls, Barred Owls, Eastern Screech-Owls, Western Screech-Owls, Flammulated Owls, Ferruginous Pygmy-Owls, Elf Owls, and Burrowing Owls in Texas.  One or more of these species may be what is locally referred to as a Mexican Owl.

:)

21 hours ago, manholt said:

Jim.

"Killing our Owl population"?!  You'll have to prove that one.  I just asked Linda about that, she is a Rancher and Bird lover, actually I think fanatic.  Her replay was, "that's a first for me"!  Oh, we don't have the Spotted Owl in Texas, we got the look alike Mexican Owl and it's not on the endangered list anywhere!:)

Im not saying anything about the endangered list, I'm simply restating a recent report from the Audubon Society. Common sense says if another animal eats an animal with poison in its system will ingest some poison too. The vet said when my dog caught the rat, most likely the rat urinated and thats where she got the poison. She never ate the rat. Its just a public service announcement to watch your pets if using poisons for pests control. 

Without going back and reading all the posts, I'll take a chance and mention this just in case no one has.  Lowes sells a battery operated rat/mouse trap for around $45.00.  It looks like a miniature mail box.  You put a small smear of peanut butter in the end of the garage and of course the rodent crawls inside to get it.   Once the device feels some weight it zaps the poor little critter!  There is s light on top to let you know you have a dead guest ready for dumping.  No fuss no muss!