mable

Using Jacks For Winter Storage

I have a 2002 Pace Arrow that I bought used about 10 years and live in the western suburbs of Chicago. I store the RV in an outdoor storage lot and this year I started thinking about raising the coach on its jacks to take the weight off the tires in sub-zero weather and if I would/should do that , what should I spray on the jack cylinder?

I level our Phaeton while in storage with the onboard jacks and did the same with our 34ft. Georgie Boy bought new in 1988. Find a can of grease at an auto parts store or use a grease gun if you have one, and smear the exposed shaft with grease. Did it for years on the Georgie Boy and the jacks still worked fine on the day it was sold. Have only had the 2003 Phaeton since May of 2014 , but so far so good.

I put my Journey 32 up on jacks during storage of more than thirty days. I use rubber mats under the wheels and lift the wheels only enough to remove 50% of the weight of the tires. I also use tire covers to reduce ozone damage.

One thing I recommend is when you get ready to retract the jacks after an extended use.

Wipe the exposed shafts down with the same fluid you use in the jacks.

This removes dirt and lubricates the shaft. If you don't do this you can damage the bottom seal.  

Bill

If you have an HWH hydraulic jack system, they have SST shafts and will not rust. Extended exposure will not harm them. HWH says to spray them with WD-40 prior to retraction.

13 hours ago, RAYIN said:

If you have an HWH hydraulic jack system, they have SST shafts and will not rust. Extended exposure will not harm them. HWH says to spray them with WD-40 prior to retraction.

When did this start? I have an 2003 and the shafts appear to be hard chrome plated. They show pitting and corrosion at the bottom of the shaft where it is not covered when retracted. Yes you can spray with WD_40 but a better way is to wipe the shafts down with the same fluid as is used in the jack system. This removed accumulated dirt and protects the seal on the bottom of the cylinder. Some have grease fittings that should be greased with the approved grease.

Bill

8 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

When did this start? I have an 2003 and the shafts appear to be hard chrome plated. They show pitting and corrosion at the bottom of the shaft where it is not covered when retracted. Yes you can spray with WD_40 but a better way is to wipe the shafts down with the same fluid as is used in the jack system. This removed accumulated dirt and protects the seal on the bottom of the cylinder. Some have grease fittings that should be greased with the approved grease.

Bill

HWH recommends using WD-40 and soap N water, nothing else.http://www.hwhcorp.com/ml47149.pdf

HWH jack shafts are SST: http://janeandjohn.org/docs/HWH-Presentation-GNR2008.pdf

BTW, for the original poster, HWH says to level side-to-side first, then front to back.http://janeandjohn.org/docs/HWH-Presentation-GNR2008.pdf

2 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Ok my bad I was thinking Power Gear.:o

Bill

No problems! No-one knows everything, but together we (MH'ers) do know almost everything. :)