BillAdams

Connect On The Go - Round 2

Has anyone successfully negotiated this "deal?"

I have been online and on the phone for literally HOURS today trying to complete it, and as far as I can tell, it is NOT POSSIBLE to do it through the linked joint-branded Verizon/FMCA site, nor through a human.

To add to the complication for me, when the original deal fell through in June, I was using an AT&T hotspot I was very dissatisfied with, and didn't want to use. In early October, we had a nearly 3 week RV trip planned during which I had to work, so I went down to a Verizon store and told them the sad story of how Verizon screwed the FMCA and me over in June. We came to an "arrangement" where I signed up for a new unlimited plan, with 22 GBs of 4G, then throttled to 3G; this service was to be delivered not via a JetPack (because it would cost $200 for the JetPack), BUT through a Samsung tablet with a hotspot feature which for some reason was free. So, I reluctantly agreed to this arrangement (the tablet of course doesn't fit in a pocket or even my purse), but they PROMISED me that once the Verizon/FMCA deal was "fixed," I could easily change to the FMCA plan and swap the tablet for the JetPack.

Are you laughing at me yet? You should be.

10 days into the trip, I got an email warning that I was about to reach my max 4G allotment of 15 GBs. WHAT?? I had 22 GB! So I spent nearly 2 hours on the phone with Verizon, in which I learned (1) you only get 15 GB of HOTSPOT usage when your device is a tablet; and (2) the tablet itself when left on is constantly EATING DATA as it goes on the internet by itself. I was told to shut off the device or at least the data when not using it as a hotspot, and given a restructured plan (for more money of course) which gave me some more GBs to finish the trip, and was told that when I was NOT traveling, I could downgrade the GBs to a cheaper (~$60/mo) plan. So I downgraded it a few days ago after getting back from the trip.

Then today, I got the email that the new Verizon/FMCA deal was in place. But - you have to sign up online only - how can I manage that, where there was a swap of tablet for JetPack involved?? After buying TWO MORE YEARS of FMCA membership, as required, I TRIED to use the website - tried to sign in as an existing customer, but the site wouldn't work - including the links for a representative or "contact us." It insisted on having an EMPLOYEE cell phone number - I'm not an employee of either FMCA or Verizon! So, I called Verizon.

After innumerable explanations of the whole sad story (and about 45 min on the phone), I was able to get my existing service  plan changed to the FMCA $49.99 deal - MANUALLY, BY VERIZON, not via the internet site. But when I tried to negotiate the purchase (for $0.01) of the JetPack, we hit a brick wall. I ended up having to tell the customer service rep that I had to GO - I had to get to the bank and it was already 4:30. He said to call customer service back later, and he'd have all the notes in the file.

Laughing again yet? You should be.

So about 6 PM, I started again to try and solve the problem. I called Verizon and after explaining things to 3 or 4 different people, finally got with a guy who supposedly knows what's going on - or was willing to learn. We tried a half-dozen different ways that didn't work, including emailing him the link to the Verizon/FMCA website.

We decided I should try to go back on the Verizon/FMCA site and try to buy the JetPack as an accessory - after innumerable attempts a variety of ways, I almost got there - it offered to sell it to me for $0.01 - but ALSO wanted me to agree to an ADDITIONAL $20/mo line access charge!! I told by now new buddy Ryan that that was a big f'ing NOPE, and after I read to him and then EMAILED him the notices from FMCA and other links to the Verizon/FMCA website detailing the deal, he agreed that there was no line access charge mentioned in the agreement.

I then spent a lot more time on the phone while Ryan attempted to figure out WTF to do. He finally came to the conclusion that what I needed to do was to start over - sign up for the FMCA deal as a NEW customer, and then when that was done, he would cancel my old account and send me an label to send back the tablet. OK, I guess - after going through all the crap with Verizon already about setting up the old account and auto-pay, which didn't kick in to take care of the FIRST bill, so on the one-month anniversary of getting Verizon, I received 2 emails and 2 phone calls saying I was DELINQUENT on my account - not happy about it, but OK. 

So, I went through the whole process of signing up as a NEW customer for the Verizon/FMCA deal. And this time VOILA! I got the $49.99/mo + $0.01 JetPack deal! Ryan promised to call me tomorrow to set up the cancelation of my old account and sending me the return label for the tablet.

I got a sale confirmation email, and Ryan hung up. And then I got a second email: 

"We have received your order; however, this transaction cannot be processed because your information already exists in our system. Please place this order as an existing customer by going to My Verizon. At this time, your credit card has not been charged and we will hold your order for 7 days from today's date. You can contact the Credit and Order Review Team at 866-338-7390 if you have any questions."

I sent Ryan another email: "AAARRRGGGHHH!!!! FIX IT!!!"

I am waiting to hear what happens next.

Diana Cox

Edited by dianahc
Added the fact that I had to pay for 2 more years of FMCA membership first.

I had a similar experience.  The Verizon portal allows me to connect to my current Verizon account, but then it stops.  I did get a notice that I had qualified for an unspecified employee deal.  Calling Verizon is just an exercise in frustration.  No one at Verizon seems to know anything about this deal. 

Diana and West Will,

Verizon is having issues with existing customers. We are pushing them to get it fixed on their end. Hang tight and we hope they come up with a resolution shortly.

New customers are able to sign up with no issues.

Been there and done that with Verizon also. I was even told by Verizon that they didn't want me as a customer after complaining that there was no mention of 10 gig limitation per hotspot, now when trying to just apply for another subscription through FMCA, the portal just goes blank everytime I try to go that route after I have subscribed to get notifications from Verizon. I don't think that the problem is with FMCA but with Verizon, I love their coverage, but their unethical practices. If you are not already a Verizon customer, I suspect that the new benefit will work flawlessly. I believe that Verizon is hoping for new customers through FMCA, not Verizon customers being able to take advantage of a better deal than they already have. At this point I really don't want to change my already existing Verizon mifi subscription, just add a new account with Verizon for full benefits of the new FMCA plan.

You don't want this deal unless:

• You already have solid mobile internet and want to use this as a backup
  • You really don't use Internet all that much
  • You like being punked on by Verizon

Here's your TCO:

.01 for the device

$49.99 + (~$10 taxes and fees) = $59.99 * 24 months = $1440.01 for the life of the contract

/ (25 gigs * 24 months) = 600 GB of high-speed internet

= $2.40 /gb.

That is TERRIBLE. You can tell it was fully negotiated by Verizon because it has all of Verizon's onerous terms.

The older deal was much better, and if FMCA had required a good standing membership for a longer period of time, they might have been able to pull it off.

I bit on the renewal, it's only $95. But after researching this "deal" it's a lot worse than it seems on the surface.

I'll likely go with renting the unthrottled UL plans month to month, even at the higher price.

Where do you get unthrottled unlimited mobile service? I have looked for a long time, and haven't yet discovered one that is truly both.

3 hours ago, malcolmdmoore said:

You don't want this deal unless:

• You already have solid mobile internet and want to use this as a backup
  • You really don't use Internet all that much
  • You like being punked on by Verizon

Here's your TCO:

.01 for the device

$49.99 + (~$10 taxes and fees) = $59.99 * 24 months = $1440.01 for the life of the contract

/ (25 gigs * 24 months) = 600 GB of high-speed internet

= $2.40 /gb.

That is TERRIBLE. You can tell it was fully negotiated by Verizon because it has all of Verizon's onerous terms.

The older deal was much better, and if FMCA had required a good standing membership for a longer period of time, they might have been able to pull it off.

I bit on the renewal, it's only $95. But after researching this "deal" it's a lot worse than it seems on the surface.

I'll likely go with renting the unthrottled UL plans month to month, even at the higher price.

Old deal did not fall apart because of length of membership. Had nothing to do with it. Taxes depend on where you are. Device I ordered and shipped to Cincinnati had less than a dollar per month of taxes and fees. 

How much would you pay Verizon for a 25 GB plan? It would be well over 100 bucks per month. Doesn’t really sound terrible to me.

Sounds like you use 100GB+ is data each month. If that’s the case, yes this plan is not for you.

WOW, thought I was confused at the beginning because I couldn't get to the cart to pay for the darn thing.... Now I'm wondering if that might be a blessing in disguise...  Been waiting and hoping that a deal could be made cause I think I will probably need something after I retire in Jan.  Want something to be able to  use a smart tv with.

2 hours ago, kaypsmith said:

Where do you get unthrottled unlimited mobile service? I have looked for a long time, and haven't yet discovered one that is truly both.

Verizon has vendors with grandfathered unlimited unthrottled plans that you can rent from them. Verizon is shutting these vendors down pretty often. You can expect to pay 119-249 bucks per month. If they shut the vendor down, you lose your plan with no notice. 

FYI - TWO people from Verizon promised me a call back today and NEITHER of them called. I have both of their email addresses and just gave them a SHARP poke in the ribs. I don't really feel up to getting on the phone and trying to fight my way to either one of them tonight, but I will try again tomorrow. I think I'm in some netherworld or limbo now with NO plan, NO label to send back my tablet, and at risk of having been deemed to have prematurely canceled my plan with no replacement. I'm going to be REALLY pissed by tomorrow morning. They don't want me pissed.

33 minutes ago, dianahc said:

FYI - TWO people from Verizon promised me a call back today and NEITHER of them called. I have both of their email addresses and just gave them a SHARP poke in the ribs. I don't really feel up to getting on the phone and trying to fight my way to either one of them tonight, but I will try again tomorrow. I think I'm in some netherworld or limbo now with NO plan, NO label to send back my tablet, and at risk of having been deemed to have prematurely canceled my plan with no replacement. I'm going to be REALLY pissed by tomorrow morning. They don't want me pissed.

Diana- just sent you a private message. Will get you some help with your issue.

44 minutes ago, smithy said:

Diana- just sent you a private message. Will get you some help with your issue.

Thanks! - I will report back tomorrow.
In the meantime, has anyone successfully signed up??

I have an existing Verizon Mifi card.  I followed the instructions and and completed the application online.  Waited for notification letter which I received at 6 am this morning.  Called in to Verizon and had them change to the new data plan.  No problems.  I am using my existing mifi card as I can use it internationally.

Jaime

I got this email a few minutes ago - it is entirely generic, doesn't address ANY of the issues with the FMCA deal, including returning the tablet. I'm still waiting to hear from Verizon directly, but I'm about to leave the house for a couple of hours.

You’re approved to add a new smartphone.

We picked out a few we thought you’d enjoy.

Shop phones

img_hero_dr_caret.jpg

15 hours ago, smithy said:

Old deal did not fall apart because of length of membership. Had nothing to do with it. Taxes depend on where you are. Device I ordered and shipped to Cincinnati had less than a dollar per month of taxes and fees. 

How much would you pay Verizon for a 25 GB plan? It would be well over 100 bucks per month. Doesn’t really sound terrible to me.

Sounds like you use 100GB+ is data each month. If that’s the case, yes this plan is not for you.

I already know this plan is not for me. My post was to let others who are considering this as a possibility know.

The old deal fell apart because it wasn't advantageous for Verizon. That's why this new deal is so bad. Anybody who plans to use this in any real capacity is going to be severely disappointed. Two or 3 streamed NetFlix movies or a couple of cloud backups and your $50 internet plan is worthless for the rest of the billing cycle. No thanks.

I won't pay Verizon anything for a 25 GB plan. But I would pay them well more than they're asking for this plan for a true, unlimited, unthrottled plan.

Ok, it came today via FedEx

SIM is installed.

Power it on.

Says No Internet Access, No Data Plan. Tap for more info.

I tap, it says: This device is not on a Verizon wireless data plan. DO you want to add a plan now?

If I Tap No Thanks, goes back to the main screen

If I Tap Yes, it connects to the Verizon network and says I have limited Internet Access so you can go to Verizon.com/Myverizon to add a data plan.

ummm it's a hot spot, not keyboard or web browser :(:(

Ok, so I connect to it from my phone

Login to the hot spot

The home screen says: Phone Number 000-000-0000

It see's the SIM.

It again says "No Interner Access. You Don't have a plan" Click to add a data plan

It goes to version.com/MyVerizon

I say create a new account,

and it tells me beyond unlimited for $90 a month

Not showing me the FMCA plan. so abort that.

Any hints on how to get this working?

I loath to call Verizon unless I have to -- I would have expected it to come ready to roll.

I have went through the Enrollment Process and did the register your line to add the FMCA program to my existing account. I got a message on my screen that "your request has been received based on the information provided." I have not gotten an email from Verizon saying my "Register Your Line request is complete". Do I need to wait for an email or go ahead and call the 800 922-0204 number to have the 11454 Plan added to my existing number?

22 hours ago, kaypsmith said:

My Sprint Mifi is both but it's a business plan so you need some kind of proof of business to qualify.  Unthrottled, fully unlimited for about $46/month.  The biggest problem is the Sprint coverage.

Catch-22?  Having read both Posts, it seems to me that everyone is getting the run around.  Verizon should be ready to go on this...or did FMCA pull the trigger too fast again?

8 hours ago, starneml said:

Ok, it came today via FedEx

SIM is installed.

Power it on.

Says No Internet Access, No Data Plan. Tap for more info.

I tap, it says: This device is not on a Verizon wireless data plan. DO you want to add a plan now?

If I Tap No Thanks, goes back to the main screen

If I Tap Yes, it connects to the Verizon network and says I have limited Internet Access so you can go to Verizon.com/Myverizon to add a data plan.

ummm it's a hot spot, not keyboard or web browser :(:(

Ok, so I connect to it from my phone

Login to the hot spot

The home screen says: Phone Number 000-000-0000

It see's the SIM.

It again says "No Interner Access. You Don't have a plan" Click to add a data plan

It goes to version.com/MyVerizon

I say create a new account,

and it tells me beyond unlimited for $90 a month

Not showing me the FMCA plan. so abort that.

Any hints on how to get this working?

I loath to call Verizon unless I have to -- I would have expected it to come ready to roll.

Did you call Verizon to activate the device?

1 hour ago, manholt said:

Catch-22?  Having read both Posts, it seems to me that everyone is getting the run around.  Verizon should be ready to go on this...or did FMCA pull the trigger too fast again?

They knew we were launching on Wednesday. They’ve known that for a while. Not sure why they are having so many issues.

12 hours ago, smithy said:

Did you call Verizon to activate the device?

Just got off the phone with Verizon.. what a fiasco.

I give them the phone number on the paperwork that came with the device.

They say that the device is coming up under someone else's name. not mine and they can't help me. (and or course, they cant tell me who :)

They suggested taking it to a corporate Verizon store to see if they can figure it out (didn't expect to need a 30 mile drive to get this working!)