WMMPAYNE

Desulfator for Batteries

If you would provide your coach info you may find out you already have a desulfator in your charger. And yes, I have a desulfator built in to my charger and I've successfully used it. I also have another portable that I use on all my vehicles. My lawn tractor being one that I use to get one year on a battery and I'm going on 4 years now that I use the desulfator. 

To the best of my knowledge there is no way to break up the the build up of flakes in the bottom of a battery. When a battery is sulflated  it is caused by the top of the plates getting dry. When the plates become dry they will flake off and drop to the bottom of the battery. When the flakes become thick enough in the bottom they will short out  the plates. The best solution to this problem is Preventive Maintenance. Keeping the plates covered and not allowing them to become exposed to air and dry out.

Herman 

Of course you need to maintain the water level as part of your maintenance program.

I'm just relating my experience with my desulfators and others may have exactly the opposite experience. My experience with the previous coach using my desulfator; the house batteries were going on 7 years when I sold the coach. I used the desulfator twice a year. 

BTW, Herman, lead sulfation is a normal process during the charge/discharge process and occurs even when the plates are covered with electrolyte. 

We have a battery shop located near where I live. They buy batteries that have gone over their 6 month shelf life then replaced by the battery dealer. The desulfation process is the only thing that they do to the battery. They then sell to the public at up to 75% savings, have been using them for years and get as good or better life than when bought at the store prices. Yes the process does work.

With an 89 Airstream & a 79 Revcon, I don't believe either is equipped with built-in desulfators.  Still would like to know if there is a preferred brand.

I have used "Battery Minder" with good results. Do the research on "Battery Minder," and pick your price. They are not cheap but they work well.

Was wondering in reading this, how much replacement      distilled water can

be added to a battery before you have added to much,  Do you have to be concern

of watering down the contents of the battery?   I used maintain battery chargers

over the winter.  So what would be a max amount of water that can be added

to a battery to make sure you cover the plates. I have used about a half gallon

of replacement distilled water in two 12 volt coach battery's.

Tim F405095 Class C Winnebago 2014

Tim, When the batteries are well maintained(good Water level) and the charge levels being maintained. Batteries can last for 10 years. A hydrometer test is the best way to know how healthy the batteries are.  

The amount of water is not a real issue IF it is always Distilled Water - yes the water to acid percentages go up and down - but the acid component does not very. 

It is the plates and the separators that eventually brake down and when that happens - deposits build up at the bottom of the battery and will eventually short out a cell. Once one is shorted out it will kill the batteries.

Rich.