Sign in to follow this  
alwillumitis

Hot Water Turns Cold When Shower Paused

We have a 2008 Itasca Sunstar 32K. When taking a shower and pause the water flow, the water trickling from the shower head turns cold. When turned back on, water takes a second or two to get warm again. Water heater has a check valve in the hot water outlet which I replaced, but still have the same problem. I've looked for another check valve but only see the one I changed.

Anybody have a solution for this problem?

59 minutes ago, alwillumitis said:

We have a 2008 Itasca Sunstar 32K. When taking a shower and pause the water flow, the water trickling from the shower head turns cold. When turned back on, water takes a second or two to get warm again. Water heater has a check valve in the hot water outlet which I replaced, but still have the same problem. I've looked for another check valve but only see the one I changed.

Anybody have a solution for this problem?

Depending on how warm you like the shower water, the distance between the water heater, length of time the flow is reduced and the outside temperature all affect the water temperature when the flow is restarted.

We tend to let a little water flow to reduce the problem. The Plumbing lines are not insulated real well and I have added some lengths of the foam insulation around the water lines.

Rich.

Also, check to make sure that if you have an outside shower that both hot and cold are turned off at the faucet, as that is another possible "mix" point.

When shower head is paused there is always a trickle of water. Used to stay warm, but now gets cold like water is backing up into the hot water line. After head is unpaused it gets warm in a couple of seconds.  Also there is no outside shower. Just seems like the cold water is backing up into the hot water line. Does anyone know if there is a second check valve anywhere?  Driving us crazy and at our age we don't have to be driven, we're close enough to walk.

3 hours ago, alwillumitis said:

When shower head is paused there is always a trickle of water. Used to stay warm, but now gets cold like water is backing up into the hot water line. After head is unpaused it gets warm in a couple of seconds.  Also there is no outside shower. Just seems like the cold water is backing up into the hot water line. Does anyone know if there is a second check valve anywhere?  Driving us crazy and at our age we don't have to be driven, we're close enough to walk.

Well your response covers the thoughts posted and the check valve was covered when you replaced it.

The only other item that comes to mind is the flow of the hot water from the water heater and the check valve you replaced. There is a possibility that there is a build up of calcium in the hot water tank and the plumbing between it and the check valve input. 

A possible solution might be to drain the tank, place a 2 gallons of vinegar in the tank and top it off with water. Run the tank through a heating cycle, let it set over night, Then flush the tank with fresh water. this should reduce the calcium levels in the tank and hopefully the pluming line between the output of the tank and the check valve.

Rich.  

This annoyance  is more common than you may think and in most cases is not an indication of an issue in your plumbing system, just a leaky shower head switch. 

What is likely happening is that the switch on your shower head, when in the shut off position, is turning off the hot water flow entirely but not the cold. Thus the trickle of cold water. 

As the cold water continues to run it cools off the water in the line from the taps to your shower head.  Once you flip the switch back to on, the cold water in the line flows through, eventually allowing the hot to make its way back. It does seem to take a long time. 

We have had this issue with many shower heads....still have it in our current MH. 

I remember, when we had to do the switch on/off due to a 6 gallon heater and small fresh water tank...today I never do that anymore!