Rewillia

Installing Ground Effects Surround Exterior LEDs

Planning the installation of ground effects LED light strips to surround the lower exterior of my motorhome and wondering if others here have done the same and can share information on the following;

1) if your installation includes the use of a RF remote to turn the LEDs on/off, where did you install it?, i.e. on the exterior of the motorhome such as in the electrical bay or inside the basement area, or on in the interior of motorhome,  and how well would you describe how well the RF remote works (signal is good, fair, poor), same question applies if you installed colored LEDs and use a bluetooth/RF remote.

2) if you installed an in-line On/Off switch to control power to the LEDs where did you place it? inside the motorhome in or under the dash, in the basement area, etc.

2) did you direct connect to your motorhome's 12-volt DC current or use a 120 volts AC converter?

3) if you ran LED light strips around the entire underside of the motorhome, how many junction boxes/pole terminal connectors did you use to gather/consolidate the various power leads from each LED strip into a pair of common power wires (+/-) to tie into the converter?

4) have you had problems with the lights since installing them and if so, what were they?

Needless to say, I'm planning a DIY'er installation and have a fairly good view of how I need to do it, just felt that by asking other FMCA members here who've done their own installations (or had their's done), some additional insight would be helpful.

ps - please don't "bash"...Im doing a simple soft white installation that will simply serve to add additional exterior lighting downward toward the ground when parked/docked remotely.  The LEDs will not be visible from the sides of the motorhome.

Any/All answers will help. 

Rewillia, check out www.habsontheroad.com.  Vernon installed LED lighting on his coach and chronicled it in his online blog.  Thinking about doing same once we settle in South Florida for the winter.

Mikey

’18 Berkshire 40B

F464920

I have thought of doing the same on the Co-Pilot side of coach.  Be interesting to see what kind of info comes back!  I also don't want to overkill the lighting.:(

Not the same as what as what you are doing, I used amber led strips down both sides of the coach. I used two 16 foot strips per side and joined them together with solder joints, they are mounted inside aluminum channel half inch inside dimension, then covered with opaque white plastic cover. I used the 12 volt house wiring and installed two toggle switches just inside the door, no remote. I used amber so not to attract bugs, plus if I forget to turn them off, they are legal on the highways.

I'm doing the complete ground effects surround on the underside of the MH in soft white LEDs that will match my existing and OE awning leds. Plan now is to use the aluminum channel and diffusers, install the 12vDC controller in the electrical bay and switched  all tied into an existing spare fuse circuit on the distribution panel. The LEDs will be installed (using the channel) on the underside of the belly pans and thus, will not be visible from the side of the coach. They are also dimmable so we can use with discretion.

I ordered the aluminum channel online and used I/8 aluminum rivets, had to use a very narrow head rivet tool. In your case, the diffuser may not be necessary since they are pointer downward. My experience is that the led's last longer without the diffuser, but a short piece of it every 12 or so inches just in case the adhesive does come loose, in most cases it want but sometimes there is unwanted spills on the road that might make it happen. Carl, there was no aluminum when I started either, but there is a metal band that was added by the factory just above the stainless steel sides and the aluminum side panels below the windows, this is where the channel is attached, looks like came from the factory that way, but it didn't.

On 11/18/2017 at 7:46 PM, kaypsmith said:

I ordered the aluminum channel online and used I/8 aluminum rivets, had to use a very narrow head rivet tool. In your case, the diffuser may not be necessary since they are pointer downward. My experience is that the led's last longer without the diffuser, but a short piece of it every 12 or so inches just in case the adhesive does come loose, in most cases it want but sometimes there is unwanted spills on the road that might make it happen. Carl, there was no aluminum when I started either, but there is a metal band that was added by the factory just above the stainless steel sides and the aluminum side panels below the windows, this is where the channel is attached, looks like came from the factory that way, but it didn't.

Got any pictures?

Have started my installation which will include the addition of 10-ten separate LED strips, one RF controller to be commonly switched taking power from a spare 20A fuse terminal in the coach electrical bay (cord reel bay).

Over the course of installation, I'll be posting photographs that will hopefully help other contemplating a similar "DIY" install of ground surround LED lighting underneath their motor home.

Here are some photos on the front fascia generator slide LED instal. As shown, I used 1/4" SS all thread (replacing the OE 1/4-self-tapping screws which anchor the fog light brackets) as the end mounts for some 3/4" W aluminum angle extrusion to which I bolted the LED aluminum channel to. Then added a center support bracket from my generator slide actuator housing making sure that when closing the LED light bar and support bracketry will clear all and it does. Since these photos were taken, I've installed 3' ft sections under the coach forward of the front steer axle (including under my hyd. entry steps), 6' ft sections behind the tag axle on both sides and an 8'ft section across the back above the rock guard. Had to suspend the project for the moment due to a family matter  but once I get back to it in the coming week, I'll post additional photos.

LF - OEM Fog Light mount anchor brace used to anchor LED strip light aluminum extrusion and channel. 1/4" SS all thread secured with lock nuts. 

IMG_4074.jpg

View from LF to RF 

IMG_4075.JPG

View RF to LF. denotes use of 1" aluminum flat bar bolted to generator slide actuator/ram head bracket to serve as center support arm for LED aluminum extrusion and strip light channel.  

IMG_4077.JPG

Rick, we have discussed doing it before, usually every time DW sees it at a campground she reminds me that she wants them. I found this company for the lights;

https://www.boogeylights.com/led-lights-for-rv-campers-trailers/

They have a bunch of options, one being you can control the lights via an APP on your phone :P. The last time I priced it out $500.00 comes to mind :o, that was where my planning fell to the side. I have a friend with a custom chopper that he takes to shows with this companies lighting all over the motorcycle, they have held up well and look nice.

I plan on doing my 2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE with 1 strip down both sides of the coach.  I will be ordering the aluminum channel with opaque cover from Banggood.com along with the LED strips.   Once I get into starting this project early next year I will post pics and a full description of my work.

Rewillia.  That's a slick idea!  Also the cleanest undercarriage I have seen in a long time!  Good work. :)

Joe.  I'm going to Perry Rally in March and have Boogie lights put on, if I don't get a new Newmar while there! :lol: 

When I was a lot younger my brother and I mounted playing cards on our bicycle by using clothes pins. It attracted a lot of attention from the local homeowners and we decided to not attract attention to ourselves and so we took the playing cards off. that was 56 years ago but I see a parallel here.

I would be very interested in this as well...like the idea of the amber lights. The idea has benefits aside from the attracting attention. It will while  In the desert boondocking, other places too, will discourage critters like packrats from visiting. The brightness and color of the lighting installed will determine if it is too ostentatious or not. Many install awning lights and such how is this that much different other than just being a different kind of lighting. 

What kid didn't like putting cards on their bicycle

Rex, 

5 hours ago, RexCoach said:

New to this world in 1955. 

Rex, Does that mean you were born in 1955?

In 1955 Carl was getting his new Schwinn and loosening all the spokes with his Ace of Spades clipped on his front fork with a clothes pin and I was installing 11 inch Smithies on my 51 Henry "J".  As the Statler Brothers would say "Ah those were the Days".

Thank you both for the memories.

Merry Christmas to all.

Herman 

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 2:34 AM, RexCoach said:

When I was a lot younger my brother and I mounted playing cards on our bicycle by using clothes pins.

WOW, good old days....like 35 years ago......:lol:

I'm thinking of adding some ground lights.  The Tour has some led's built into the front so maybe I can just add to that and use the same switch.

BTW: Carl had this style bike:

bike.jpg

Yes, I did & we removed the chain guard, extra forks, funky center piece and rear stand.  Also added a longer handle bar shaft.  Color is right, off course 2 years later, it was unrecognizable!

Wayne, 35 years ago...Joe was 11. :o