jawopw

Travel Supreme Won't Start

MY 2004 TRAVEL SUPREME SUDDENLY WONT START. 

THE DASHBOARD LIGHTS GO ON AND EVERYTHING ELSE WORKS. 

BATTERIES SEEM TO BE CHARGED BUT WHEN I TURN THE KEY IT DOES ABSOLUTELY NOTHING MAKES. NO SOUND WHATSOEVER.

What exactly is the voltage of your starter batteries?

If at least 13v check your starter solenoid first.

If voltage is low try using the battery boost switch (if you have one) as you turn the key.

Blake

That has happened to me twice and it was the start solenoid.  Plenty of battery power,  just dead silence when you turn the key.  Hopefully, you can find it as you can jump the solenoid and it will start until you can get a replacement.  Now, where did they put that thing!?

JAWOPW.  Welcome to the Forum!

Check your engine battery/batteries with a volt meter....don't rely on the panel.  Less that 13V, put a charger on it/them, if acid check water level before using charger!

Have you checked your new solenoid ?  Make sure you have a good tight ground and all tight, non corroded leads on battery and solenoid?  Also from switch to starter.

The next thing I would check is to see if you are getting power (voltage) to the solenoid.  Best way would be to have someone turn the key while another holds a voltmeter to the terminals at the solenoid.  You could try to jump the solenoid as Bill mentions above.  I'd only do so if you feel comfortable under the coach with moving parts such as fan, belts and pulleys.  

You might also want to try the remote start in the engine compartment if you have one.  Turn the key on at the dash then go to the rear and try to engage the starter that way.  If that works then it indicates you might have a problem in the ignition circuit.

What exactly is the voltage of your starter batteries?

Blake

5 hours ago, JAWOPW said:

We had the solenoid replaced less than a year ago.  Could it be something else? 

A lot of the solenoids sold today are junk, especially if when repaired it was replaced with NON OEM parts. Not unusual! It would be helpful if your signature contained information about your rig, or you put it in the narrative. Such as Cummins ISL, model, hp, gas, ford V-10, allison 3000 ect. Last, if you have a diesel, there is also a series parrallel relay in the circuit in addition to the start relay.

9 hours ago, rlbarkleyii said:

A lot of the solenoids sold today are junk, especially if when repaired it was replaced with NON OEM parts. Not unusual! It would be helpful if your signature contained information about your rig, or you put it in the narrative. Such as Cummins ISL, model, hp, gas, ford V-10, allison 3000 ect. Last, if you have a diesel, there is also a series parrallel relay in the circuit in addition to the start relay.

It is a 2004 Travel Supreme Select with a Cummins  diesel 500 HP, Allison transmission.  I have called a mobile RV service to come out and check it out, since we have not been able to address the issue ourselves.  Thank you everyone for all your comments and help.  We are fairly new to RVing and just signed up with fmca.

Bill.  Blake asked that ?  15 hours ago!  We have no answer back on it.   With a 500hp I suspect he has it, but don't know where it's located.  Mine is lower part of dash, left side of steering wheel (hard to see and read what the toggle is)!  We now know that he has 2 batteries.  

Although the solenoid was replaced less than a year ago they may have put in the wrong solenoid. They may have put in a momentary one rather than a continuous solenoid.

Makes a world of difference.

Herman   

58 minutes ago, Hermanmullins said:

Although the solenoid was replaced less than a year ago they may have put in the wrong solenoid. They may have put in a momentary one rather than a continuous solenoid.

Makes a world of difference.

Herman   

The ignition solenoid is constant duty.

The starter solenoid is intermittent duty-- high amperage.