cdsuggs

Generator Problem

I've got a QD8000 in my 2010 Fleetwood Discovery.  On the way to the campground in Arlington, TX today, I stopped at the Blue Beacon Truck Wash and got the coach a much needed bath.  Now when I start the generator, it runs for several seconds and shuts down.  The EC30  gives me a service code of 3 followed by a code of 38 stating that there is an over-current condition.  It was running ok before.  Sounds to me like something got wet that shouldn't have, but I don't even have a clue about where to start looking.  Any pointers would be appreciated.

The only pointer that I can give you is to stay out of Blue Beacon Truck washes. Used them for years as a trucker and in spite of thinking that my rig was impregnable from their extremely powerful sprayers, there was always water that found it's way around my best efforts. I will never take our Phaeton into one. 

Good luck. 

It is clean though.  The only thing I can think of right now is give it the night to dry out.  Will probably try out the generator tomorrow afternoon in Oklahoma.  At least there it will be a month before I have to go anywhere.

Did the wash have the ground mounted sprayers shooting up into the underside of the generator?

I think I'd slide it out, pull covers and take a peek around. Any wet connections dry them out. 

Letting it dry overnight might do the trick. When you do get it running let it run under 3/4 load for at least an hour to dry out the windings or any thing else that got wet.

Bill

Thanks for the input.  IF I ever take it to a truck wash again, I'll definitely tell them not to do the underneath wash.  I feel that's part of what happened.  

Charles,  Been out in OK. hunting Quail  and Pheasant  and when the soil gets wet it turns into a kind of glue and one can gain 2 or more inch's in height.  LOL We just call it Gumbo.

So it is necessary  to use some high pressure to clean the bottom of equipment, but it is a little much for some equipment.

Might want to check the air cleaner on the generator and see if it is still in one piece . Bet it is very wet though.

Rich.

Got a brother named Charles and I just call him Chuck. At least his nick name is still Politically correct !!! 

Rich.  I have felt that there is too much built in PC in this (Forum) program!  You had to take "Rich", the program would not accept "Di**", but DickandLois, is OK ! :lol::blink:

I never use truck washes...don't want that high powered sprayer putting water where it should not be.  I have a portable AC powered washer I used to use on a boat...don't use it on the MH either.

FIVE.  Keep the spray away from your electronic bay and you have nothing to worry about.  As I have said in the past, I don't wash my coach!  I do wash my windows and have ordered some RejeX, it will be in this weekend.  I'll post if it works or don't work!  By the way, I found it at True Value Hardware...they was out of stock!  You can also get it at Amazon & RejeX.com ! 

I would put a small heater or light bulbs under the generator over night to help the dry out process before I tried to run the generator.

Jim 

Well, the generator started an ran when we got to the garage.  I loaded it up with the air conditioners and water heater and let it run for an hour.  Lesson learned.  If nothing else, when they ask about the under-chassis wash, say no.  Thanks for all of the info.

Looks like you dodged one,  it's a good lesson for all of us.

Thanks for sharing your experience with all of us.

Jim

1 hour ago, cdsuggs said:

Well, the generator started an ran when we got to the garage.  I loaded it up with the air conditioners and water heater and let it run for an hour.  Lesson learned.  If nothing else, when they ask about the under-chassis wash, say no.  Thanks for all of the info.

That is great that it is ok. Thanks for letting us know.

Bill

Glad to hear, the bottom of ours is mostly open with a grate underneath, I could see water everywhere with an undercarriage wash :wacko:

Been through a lot of Blue Beacon truck washes over the years, including the home office of Salina Kansas. Have never been offered an under wash. Must be something new. Retired in 2011. Why would truckers care about the dirty side? Keep it down and the shiny side up. If a rig was exposed to road salt, tell the crew boss to give things underneath a little more pressure. Can"t tip them though. Against corporate rules. 

Like everything else, with size comes change!  I used Blue Beacon, from 2009 to 2013 and had no problems with them.  In the last 3 years I'm reading more and more of the OP's troubles.  So, thank you for sharing! :)

On 11/14/2017 at 4:28 PM, manholt said:

.... have ordered some RejeX, it will be in this weekend.  I'll post if it works or don't work!  By the way, I found it at True Value Hardware...they was out of stock!  You can also get it at Amazon & RejeX.com ...! 

I use it on the windshield for ease of bug removal...can't see much difference between it and any similar product.