jleamont

Wet Bay Heater

Anyone replace one of these before? If so what brand did you use?

I am searching for a relay that failed internally, I might just fix it if the parts are accessible and reasonable.

IMG_4021.JPG

Look like the same relay that is used on Attwood electric/LP hot water heaters, available on Amazon Prime, less that $10 with 2 day delivery.

Jim

11 hours ago, DickandLois said:

Hi Joe, Kind of looks like a Time Delay Relay used in furnaces. Can not tell for sure, but take a look at this link.

https://www.ebay.com/i/181685651034?chn=ps&dispctrl=1

Rich.

Let me know and I think I can fill you in on the connections. Remember where they go if you remove the old one. Pictures are always good!

Rich, I always photo the electrical stuff before dismantling it. Save me several times! I was pleasantly surprised how simple the internals of this heater were, not much inside and everything was a simple test with an ohm meter, no PC board! I jumped this relay and it powered up so....now the wait for the part......

YUP, put a bag of frozen daiquiri on the sensor, turned the "system heat" switch on and it powered up along with all of the basement tank heaters :D.

Bahama Mama :lol:

Blake, no heaters on in winter. I run RV antifreeze through the plumbing. If I need to do any work on it over the winter I will turn the Aqua Hot on an hour before I start. 

I will be in Denver over Christmas and living in my RV. Will the wet bay heater be sufficient for not freezing. I will have 110 hookup only. Holding tank for water usage. 

Jan.  Welcome to the Forum!

Year, make, model of coach that you have?  Electric heat pump is good for 36 degrees and warmer.  Do you have Aqua Hot or Propane for a heat source, under 36 degrees?  Wet bay heater should be sufficient.

The one in the photo above is about 3" from my gray tank valve 8" from the black. It points at the pair of them. I would think it would suffice for those. Most coaches with basement heat have a few other heating units down there and they all work in conjunction with each other. 

There is also tank heater elements and the Aqua Hot has a radiator in that bay with dual fans blowing hot air around. It appears the electric heater is to assist as there is no insulation in the bottom of the wet bay.

Joe,  I have system heat and the same heater you have in the wet bay.  Being down here in the Houston area I've never had to winterize or use the system heat.  I would actually have to refer to our owner's manual to understand what the Prevent a Freeze switches and System Heat switch does.

Blake

If an Aqua Hot or a hurricane likely no problem. If just a furnace it could be a chase if it gets into the low teens or below. Big tanks would take a while to freeze but the water bay valves or the sewer line if on the floor and only a piece of plywood between it and the environment could be cause for concern . It is not getting as cold around here like it used to.

3 hours ago, manholt said:

That Joe, Blake, brings us back to what OP is driving and year?

Carl, Joe is the OP.  He drives a 2002 HR Imperial.

Blake

21 hours ago, Janystul said:

I will be in Denver over Christmas and living in my RV. Will the wet bay heater be sufficient for not freezing. I will have 110 hookup only. Holding tank for water usage. 

If you are planning on using only heat coming from a 120v source then it is highly unlikely that there will be enough heat in the wet bay to prevent your pipes from freezing without some kind of added prevention on your part.  If your coach used diesel or propane heat and you plan to use these to stay comfy while in Denver then it is "likely" that you will be just fine as both of these are usually setup to provide heat to the wet bay as well.  Not knowing enough about your coach leaves us a bit crippled but this should give you a good starting point.  I camp many Winters in my RV so I keep a remote thermometer in my wet bay despite having diesel heat that "should" keep everything warm.  I was in a severe cold snap in Detroit a few years back and I added 2 100W light bulbs to the wet bays (one on each side) and never looked back.  It also saved me a lot of burnt diesel over night when I didn't need that much heat in the passenger areas.