fagnaml

Freightliner Parts - Lower Cost & Great Service!

An FYI for forum members living in the greater Houston, Beaumont, Lake Charles, etc. areas.  I had to replace the "4 in 1" gage (oil pressure, coolant temp, primary and secondary air pressures) due to a significant air leak from somewhere inside the gage (horrible loud hissing sound and blowing air!).   My experience with trying to get a new replacement gage from Houston Freightliner was extremely poor.  Their parts department almost "never" answered a phone call.  The couple of times they finally answered the phone I was placed on hold for 10- 15 minutes each time.  First "parts guy" said the gage  I had was out of production and could not be replaced.  The second "parts guy" on a different phone call said the same thing until I asked if he could search for a replacement gage using my VIN number which revealed the original part number had been superseded by an new part number.  Then came the sticker shock -- $675 for the new gage not including taxes and shipping.

My younger son in Lake Charles, LA suggested that I call Martin Truck Center in Lake Charles.  They were very responsive and professional and quickly found a new replacement gage. The Martin Truck Center "parts guy" asked me for my VIN.   The good news was the cost of the gage including taxes and shipping was $475 !!  I had the new gage within three days of placing the order.

If you need a Freightliner part, I highly suggest working with Martin Truck Center in Lake Charles, LA and don't waste time with Houston Freightliner.   I'd venture to guess Martin Truck Center could provide Freightliner parts to a customer anywhere in the USA.

I had the same experience with Freightliner-Houston. I found purchasing Freightliner parts from Freightliner in Gaffney to be very responsive and less expensive than any of the sources I contacted. Best of all, they understand what a motorhome is.

Mike.  I had the same problem on a 2007 WB Tour, 40 foot DP, in 2010....The cost at Freightliner was unreal, so was WB...I had mine found and replaced at half the cost by Lazy Dayz in Tampa....They found one on the internet made of metal not plastic!

Freightliner dealers are different all over the country.  I asked mine if he was an Oasis Dealer...."a what??"

1 hour ago, FIVE said:

Freightliner dealers are different all over the country.  I asked mine if he was an Oasis Dealer...."a what??"

Five ! The term Oasis is kind of misleading.

The basic format to be listed as an Oasis, requires the service center to have a Drivers lounge, Coffee, Vending machines and bathrooms. Freightliner does not make any reference to the centers being setup for Level RV parking with power or water. Now ! have used one in the Midwest that had all the listed items and had a wonderful setup with a large pond with a bridge leading to a Gazebo on an island. Nice !! and the shop was very helpful, still had to set for a 2 days before they got me in.

Rich.

Regarding Oasis dealers, this is what the Freightliner website lists as the distinction of Oasis dealers.  They indicate more than 90 across the country.  I have the 24-7 Direct app and it works great for finding dealers.  The app lists all the services each dealer provides. 

"OASIS DEALERS

The Freightliner service network includes more than 90 Oasis Network dealerships specializing in RV service:

• Dedicated motorhome facilities and service bays
  • Specially trained service technicians
  • Secure parking
  • Amenities exclusively for motorhome owners

To find an Oasis location near you, use the locator tool above, download the 24/7 app, or call 800-FTL-HELP."

Now, given that, once on the app, any indication of the Oasis designation is missing as far as I can find.  I can't tell but don't think that the app locates only Oasis dealers.  Nor can I find any reference or search capability on the main Freightliner home page.  This is similar to what I see with the Cummins Coach Care.  There is a corporate attempt to make accommodations for motor home owners but the word never gets to the people who are designing the website or contact information.  The RV facility designations tend to be pretty much stealth designations, hard to find.  So you get the response Oasis... what?

On 11/16/2017 at 10:50 AM, DickandLois said:

...Five ! The term Oasis is kind of misleading...

Understand it's misleading, Rich, but I would think the people running the service end would at least know if their shop is an "Oasis" shop or not.

Houston Feightliner is an Oaisis Dealer.

They meet all the requirements and are listed now as an Oasis Dealer.

Personally, I have been using Houston Freightliner for 9 years and I have always had good service with them. Also, if you are an FCOC member you get a 10% discount.

I don't recommend ordering parts from them, Wayne. They would require me to come in and pay for the part because they would need to order it and I don't have an account and no, they wouldn't accept a credit card over the phone. They also would not give the FCOC discount on ordered parts. I called Freightliner in Gaffney, they shipped the part that day 40% less expensive than Freightliner Houston. 

Some things never change.

I was a long haul truck driver in 1979. Just north of Phoenix, the clutch in my year old Freightliner packed up. I made it back to the only Freightliner dealer in Phoenix at the time. They quoted me $500 just for the Spicer clutch/pressure plate, take it or leave it. I borrowed their phone book, called the Spicer dealer in town, called a taxi and $220 later, including the taxi ride, (a long cross town drive) I had a new clutch and paid Freightliner around a $100 to install it. Shop labor was around $32 and hour or so. The mechanics thought it was great that I got such a deal on the clutch instead of being bent over at their parts counter.....