Jmholb57

Dolly Tow A Jeep Wrangler?

Thinking of purchasing a Jeep Rubicon as a tow. Was planing on flat tow but plan on doing some trail riding in the mountains and hopefully desert.

Worried that one bad rock, log, rut or bog could damage the blue ox equipment on the jeep. Would it he better to dolly tow the jeep if possible?

Have Jayco Alante, 5000 pull limit and don't have capability to 4 off tow. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Jmholb57 said:

Worried that one bad rock, log, rut or bog could damage the blue ox equipment on the jeep.

Well if you do you will be the first one I  have EVER heard of doing that.

Would it he better to dolly tow the jeep if possible?

No.

Have jayco alante, 5000 pull limit and don't have capability to 4 off tow. Thanks!

Please restate this I don't understand what you are asking/saying.

Bill

Most jeep's in the wrangler family can be equipped to tow without a base plate, as I said most, we don't know what year model you are talking about, but if it can be towed without a base plate, there should not be any problem with even using any Blue Ox equipment permanently attached to the jeep, and if not there should be no concern about damaging the BO equipment. Bill, I think that he is referring to trailering the jeep " 4 off tow".

Jm.  I tow 4 down a 2013 Tricked out Jeep Wrangler, at 4,300 pounds.  No base plate (steel bumpers), Roadmaster 6,000 and M&G brakes.  Have over the years towed 4 down Jeep Wranglers, behind gasser's and DP's, with no weight problems, base plates and non base plates. :)

Now, if your Rubicon is from AEV and have the 5.7 Hemi engine...put it on a trailer, not dolly! 

I see Jeeps towed daily, 4 down behind a gas motorhome, class A, B, C ! 

JM, we tow from a steel bumper now like Manholt. I have my air line connection in the grill and the only thing under is the electrical connection, but even that is above the steel skid plate. I wouldn't tow any other way unless I needed a dolly for the golf cart and Jeep.

If you are set on Blue Ox, get the bar that has the bolt it pivots on, not the one with the aluminum ball, I see too many of those broken on the web. The M&G brake system is also good for off road usage as it has no electronics in the interior (or anywhere for that matter) that could get wet and damaged. 

Also, Roadmaster bars have an adapter that will connect to a bumper tow hook eyelets. I know Demco does not but the roadmaster ones fit, I don't think Blue Ox does either.

I flat tow and have on a Rockhard 4x4 bumper and mounts for my Roadmaster tow bar.   The mounts are steel and you would have to hit them pretty hard to bend them.  No issues after about 40,000 miles of being towed.   I had the regular Roadmaster mounts before I got the Rockhard bumper and while no issues it was a pain to hook and unhook.  This one takes all of five minutes to hook and unhook.  The safety cables hook to D-Rings (not shown) 

20170320_144537.jpg