richard5933

Removable Awning?

We're interested in adding an awning to our coach. The exterior is a bone stock 1974 GMC bus, and we are hesitant to add a Zip Dee or other type of permanent awning since it will change the look and require moving the upper side marker light.

Anyone have any ideas for a removable awning? Maybe something that easily slides into a track when we want to sit outside? We've already considered the pop-up shelters, but we thought that something which attaches to the bus when we're camping would be more stable.

Or, maybe some type of awning which is very slim and discreet when not in use?

Richard, This is one of those things you have to decide.:) I am not of the bus conversion crowd and don't know the rules. If you were a bus collector maybe it would be a bad idea to change anything on the outside.

Personally I would do whatever mods made it better for me. By the way I found some pictures of your bus on the web. Nice looking bus.

What I also found were a fair number of bus conversions with awnings. 

Bill

There are only a couple of options for traditional awnings on this bus due to the placement of windows, bay doors, etc. Only the Zip Dee can be installed following the contour of the body. That's what we had on our previous coach, and they came with the coach when we bought it.

My hesitation about adding traditional awnings to this bus are not due to any 'rules' but rather to personal preference. I really like the look of the bus as is, but want to try and have the option of a shaded outdoor area when we're camping. I have seen some removable awnings on smaller trailers which slide into a track, and I am hoping that there is something of this nature which would work on a vehicle as large as ours.

Custom bus conversion shops should have some ideas, I'm sure they have had all kinds off questions in regards to add-on's.  I have seen built in awnings, where you have no idea that their in the wall! 

A bag awning might be acceptable, you would need to add an awning rail track to the side of the coach but when the awning is not attached the rail is hardly visible. My rail track is riveted to the roof drip rail.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-RV-Bag-Awning-Self-Contained-12-FT-NEW-FREE-SHIPPING/252443295274?hash=item3ac6cafe2a:g:jo8AAOxyi-ZTbCLC&vxp=mtr This is listed on ebay so you cantake a look at it. I did not use one of these as I like the ability to push a button and watch them go into place. Only problem with a bag awning (other than work) is you will need a ladder to slide it into the rail.  

Richard.

PPL, Home Depot, Low's, ebay, all sell 10x10 or 12x12 foot folding patios, fit in a bag when not in use.  Lot easier and cost effective than a awning in a bag!

Anyone have any ideas for a removable awning? Maybe something that easily slides into a track when we want to sit outside? We've already considered the pop-up shelters, but we thought that something which attaches to the bus when we're camping would be more stable.

This was Richards quote, not mine. I can understand why one might consider this rather than a EZ up, wind and rain will not destroy as quickly as the EZ up freestanding, and the EZ up is slanted on all sides, if you want it next to the bus, water will be draining between the bus and the patio, sometimes not most desirable.

As Kay suggested...awning in a bag!  Only thing I could find.  I suppose you could have one made in the length and width you want...problem I see is stability in wind/rain.  You would need a frame and upright's...I think?

Richard,

I know that you said that you didn't want to attach an awning to the coach for several reasons. That I understand. What I can't fathom is if you were able to get an awning made that would attach to a slide on the side of the coach, where would you store it. To be of any usable size it would need to be at least 10 feet long and extend at least the same. Then for any height, you would need for it to attach at least 8 to 9 feet above the ground. To put up an awning this size would require a minimum of 2 if not 3 people, a safe ladder (maybe 2) and storage for all.

I will be willing to bet that if you were able to have such an awning and frame made you would only put it up once while traveling and it would be stored and never used again.

So IMHO either bite the bullet and install a awning made for a motor home/TT or get a 10 X 10 or 12 X 12 popup tent and set it up and take it down and be able to store it in any of your bays. 

Herman