squiredude

Diesel Smell In Bedroom

Hi,

I recently had an In-Frame engine rebuild (new pistons) work done on my Discovery's Cummins engine.  After the work was completed the carpet in the bedroom was covered in grease and diesel.  I have had it professionally cleaned but I still get a strong smell of diesel as soon as I step into the bedroom.  I think what happened was that when they first fired up the engine there was a fuel leak that sprayed diesel all over everything.  I think it also might have got onto the bottom of the mattress.

Anyway; my questions is does anyone know of a cure for that horrible diesel fuel small in the bedroom so I can get some better sleep?

I have tried the air freshener sprays and they only work for a few hours at best then the diesel fuel small is back.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Squire Dude

I had an amateur radio friend several years ago that was a professional cleaner after fires and chemical spills. He advised me back then that the best way to get rid of those type odors was to rip out carpet and discard, clean the wood underneath with a good detergent and water and alcohol mixture. then use cheap pva paint on top of the wood. Now put new underpad and carpet down. As for the bedding you may be able to lift out the diesel with the same solution as above with a scrubber that will lift the solution back out of the bedding. Sure hope you find something that works for you.

To go with what Kay said I would look in the yellow pages for a company that does restoration/clean up after spills. You did tell the place that messed it up they need to get it cleaned up.

Bill

Bill.  Apparently, not ! :(

Try OZIUM commercial strength...It's used to neutralize the smell of cadavers, that's been laying around for a while.  

Has the company that did the engine rebuild stepped up and paid for the carpet cleaning and offered to pay for the rest of the damage??

They have stepped up and gave me a whole bunch off the final engine rebuild cost.  I think I have done okay but if I have to put new carpet and a new mattress then I will be on the loosing side.  I hope I don't have to replace it all!