rfsod48

Firearms

Do most of you carry some type of firearm while traveling in your rv? If you do is it a long gun or a hand gun?

Yes. Have both while at home and while on road. In the motor home don't need high powered because IF you ever needed it, you'd obviously be close to target - and don't want to harm neighbors in the background. Have cc license for all but very few states.

I also have both but have not carried while in MH. Recent events have made me reconsider. I am considering a short barrel shotgun for  the safety reasons you outlined.

Roland.  Do you really want to blow out the front, side or rear of coach?  Then there is the little matter of blood everywhere!  Carry a .38 cal. or 9 mm....close quarters, no big mess to clean up.  Also eliminates over spray into your Son or DW.

Problem is that most folks will pull the gun out and then not the trigger...like the movie, they want to talk about it....that's how the victim get's shot !

I have an LTC and when traveling locally I will carry. However, when on the road we stop at military campgrounds and the rig-a-morow one has to go through to get aboard the installation is not worth it.  Many of the military bases will not even allow it and it is a federal crime to carry aboard any Federal installation.

I can say that in the many years of carrying I have never had the urge to "defend" myself, nor have I ever needed one when not carrying.

It does give one peace of mind though.

Wayne, I agree that up until now I have not felt threatened or had the need for a firearm in the coach but I am rethinking that. 

Carl, normally I do carry a 9mm when I do carry. My thought for the shotgun is the added fear factor of racking a shell into the chamber. I do agree it would be messy. My thought on having a gun is that if you are not willing to use it you are better off not having it. I belong to a gun club and routinely shoot pistols and shotguns to maintain proficiency.

Wayne you bring up another point about being on land where it may be illegal to possess a firearm, are all federal and state parks off limits?

I do also have a dog and she is a great alarm system. I guess I am reacting to recent history in areas I have camped in and thought were safe. It is a sad day we have to start thinking this way.

4 hours ago, rfsod48 said:

Do most of you carry some type of firearm while traveling in your rv? If you do is it a long gun or a hand gun?

I carry 24/7.  In addition there is still a weapon available for my DW when I'm not around.  I have never really felt threatened while traveling.   For me it is more out of habit.  After 34 years a LEO it is just second nature.  I am probably more serious about it the last few years because of all the mass shootings all over our nation.  I certainly would not want to be close to a horrible situation like that and not be able to help innocent people by hopefully putting a well placed bullet into the head of the shooting scumbag.  

I like a small 5 shot revolver for everyday carry, loaded with self defense loads.  The other handgun is a 9mm Smith auto with a much larger capacity.   I have a sawed off 12 gauge loaded with #4 but it would have to be a pretty drastic situation before I would ever dig that thing out.  Now that I'm full timing I should probably just get rid of it altogether. 

I carry a S&W Governor that is 6 shot pistol in the coach loaded with 410 shotgun shells called the personnel defense rounds.  The shells have three 30 cal disk and 12 steel BBs in each shell.  I don't carry outside the coach and so far haven't felt a need but the could change in the future and that is sad!!!.  The same pistol will shoot 45 auto using moon clips and 45 long colt.

I don't normally have a weapon on my person in the MH, but I do have one in the front, one in the middle and one in the back....a 380 auto, 38 revolver and a 40 cal semi auto.  I spent 24 years in the Army (two tours in VN) and am perfectly comfortable carrying a fire arm...also have my concealed carry permit.  Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  As one of my fellow aviators once said, "better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground."  Been in both of those situations, too!:(

I too have a sawed off legal length shotgun, swings easily in the coach and racking the shell should be unnerving from outside. It is loaded with a bear load, rubber shot, ought to sting like ****. I also have a Glock 45...for piece of mind. When inside have the floor step cover down so difficult for one entering from outside and to have to work etntry so as to gain time inside. Conceal carry not yet but coming when I have time. Taught Janet how to shoot 22 now she has a different perspective about guns... 

For what my opinion is worth, why say either way, especially in public?

I am not personally fond of public disclosure. I am very fond of education, specifically education to make the proper personal decision, and education on the consequences and responsibilities of said decision.

dp26.

From where you live I can understand.  I also hope that you did not suffer through the loss of  home and property, as so many did in the fire!  Privacy is a personal choice...most of us who have responded are VNam veterans and retired from the military.  I'm of the former, but not the later!

In Public?  What public?   

Whether or not one carries is certainly a personal decision and my first post was not designed to raise that issue. I was merely looking for advise as to what other firearm owners are doing when traveling in their MH. My experience with fellow MH owners is that they are a responsible bunch as a rule and would take firearm ownership and use in a responsible fashion.

Bill, your idea of keeping the entry step cover down is a good one.

thanks all for the imput and Happy Thanksgiving!

This is a public forum... I get and accept this as fact.

I hope all who elect to arm themselves get training from someone who is currently working in the protection field. Such training should come before selecting what tool or tools, if any, to use. During the training, I suspect you would find things like needing to rack or slide before use will be discouraged, since presentation should be reserved for deadly force use only, in an expedient manner.

Which mechanical tools I have at my disposal at any particular time is something I was trained not to disclose.

6 hours ago, dp26 said:

I hope all who elect to arm themselves get training from someone who is currently working in the protection field. Such training should come before selecting what tool or tools, if any, to use. During the training, I suspect you would find things like needing to rack or slide before use will be discouraged, since presentation should be reserved for deadly force use only, in an expedient manner.

Which mechanical tools I have at my disposal at any particular time is something I was trained not to disclose.

These are points well made!

Happy Thanksgiving to all! Don't eat too much today.

rfsod48,

Since early in 2010 the National Park Serve has allow all weapons in their National Parks and can be carried openly. The weapons cannot be fired except "in rare circumstances."  Weapons cannot be carried inside any Federal Building and that would include the park offices and other buildings.

Also consider when traveling through different states. It is a Federal Law that you have the right to transport a firearm, however it is also the State's right to arrest you if you make a stop in that state.(Think fuel stop) Transporting through is not the same as stopping along the way.  Either way I just don't want the hassle.  I respect the right to carry or not carry. It is a personal preference.  In today's day and age I have the inclination that all have a weapon, and especially those traveling in their "home"(RV).

I have a ball point pen in my pocket. It is also a weapon. It will not stand up to a firearm though.

14 hours ago, rfsod48 said:

...Bill, your idea of keeping the entry step cover down is a good one...

Agree, an excellent idea!

Any one caught with a shotgun with a barrel shorter than 18" and shorter than 27" overall and or a rifle with a barrel shorter than 16" and 27 " overall is automatically guilty of a Felony. They don't have to show intent, having it in your position is proof of guilt.

So I hope having that sawed off shotgun is worth 20 years to you.;)

Bill

dp26.  Agree.

WBill.  Agree.  I don't agree with the step cover...good for Fido, but a 18+ year old will be over that, before you say, "what the....as far as you get. :P

One has to obey and respect all State and Federal Laws!  Rack/ Slide, works in Hollywood !  :) 

To answer the original question, no, we do not have any weapons, except for a compound and recurve bow for one if my kids. Not knocking you folks who choose to have one (or several), just never felt the need. 

The most threatened we ever felt since my parents began motorhoming in the 1960s, was when a drunk homeless person tried to board our Fitzjohn coach, thinking it was a commercial bus.  Our min-pin (dog), bit him on the finger, and scared him away.

Chris G.

F3508s

9 hours ago, aztec7fan said:

just never felt the need. 

Ditto here.  We were full time from 2001 until 2010, now travel all summer, winter in our mobile in Texas.  Our current coach has 170,000 miles on it.  We've visited every state in the US in the motor home, except Hawaii.  We have visited every province in Canada except Nunavut.  We don't stay in high end campgrounds or resorts, we do boondock occasionally, everything from Wal-mart to vacant property and rest areas.  We have never had a single incident when we felt threatened.  Louise will put the step cover in when we aren't in a campground.  Given enough of us out and about, someone will have a problem from time to time but my experience says that it is very rare.  

When I returned from Viet Nam, I took great personal delight in being able to relax in the back yard and not be under the gun.  Living in a peaceful land where being civil and kind to one another in a time of peace is one of the things that I am most thankful for.  Happy Thanksgiving to all.

WildBill,

What amazes me is that so many times it would appear that folks fail to read the details. I stated for that sawed off shotgun, "it was legal length" not only that it, stated loaded with "a bear load, rubber shot" No one even noticed that or commented. It is racking the shell that is the big deterant. I will add that though in the coach no shell in the chamber.

Tom,

Most of the time I feel safe enough alright, but today is a whole lot different than nearly 40 years ago;. I will wager there have been a lot of people involved in the mass shootings that felt "safe enough" being where they were just prior to all the action, and to say nothing about those that lost their lives.

Carl,

Step down might not work for that 18 year old but it is that 1/10 pf a second that was gained that could make the difference on being well or harmed. When racing if adding 2 pounds of air in to a tire made the difference between a win and a loss would you ignore it, NO. It is the accumulation of the 1/10s that make the difference.  Having that dang thing down at times is a real pain for sure and is it down all the time, NO, but there are times when it seems prudent.

Then there is that small unobtrusive can of pepper spray close by that is probably a better deterant yet

Many different view points on having firearms in our coaches and/or the need for them in the first place.  Everyone has their own feelings based on life experiences and view points.  I basically went from military service and VN to a career in law enforcement. 

Unfortunately I have seen first hand how cruel people in our "peaceful land" can be to each other.  The chances of becoming the victim of a violent crime while traveling around the country in a motorhome is probably 10% or less.  If you are unarmed and counting on dialing 911 to save yourself or your spouse then all I can say is good luck to you because you will suffer greatly.  If you are aware that there are cruel individuals all over this country that will slit your throat for enough money to purchase a gram of crack cocaine, and you stay vigilant and maintain a firearm for self defense, then there is probably less than a 1% chance you will be the victim of a violent crime.

My beliefs are not based on what I have seen on television, they are not based on any political agenda or affiliation, they are based on what I have watched happen to good honest citizens by the thousands of scum bags throughout this country.

If putting your interior step cover in place at night doesn't work for you, then you may consider a night chain.  I have a hand rail just inside the door on my 4369 floorplan.  I simply have a length of small heavy gold tone chain that goes from it to around the door handle.  I'm sure someone strong enough could break it with enough tries or force, but in the meantime it should wake everyone in the coach up.